Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

21 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m glad he’s not a druggie or alcoholic or he’d be trending towards Manziel / Leaf.

Doesn’t need a private trainer? Stupidest thing I’ve read. Homeboy, there’s a LOT wrong with your game right now. You need all the help you can get.

A lot of his issues are mechanics too, which makes his dismissal of a trainer even more frustrating.

Maybe the new coach and FO can “encourage” him to seek some professional assistance.

• Like 1

Doesn’t need a personal trainer and continues his my way or the highway attitude after an awful year? This will workout well. He needs to grow up and realize he’s another half to full season away from being completely done here, if not done as a starting QB altogether. His footwork and mechanics are HORRENDOUS, and that’s something a trainer can and will help with, as processing and seeing the field, which he’s also awful with, can’t be addressed until camp.

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Ok. 

I really want him to root for him as our franchise quarterback but he is making it hard.

He sounds like a young dude who doesn’t have anyone keeping his ego in check.  

I expect that to change with the new staff.

Personally I bring in a vet QB to challenge him every day.

If you were a quarterback coach, why would you want to work with Baker Mayfield? Not to say that he doesn’t have the talent to win or anything. But a sheer enjoyment level. You are in charge of a quarterback who thinks he can figure it out by himself and is broken in so many ways. Imagine getting the opportunity to be an AFC North quarterback coach and thinking you might get to work with Lamar Jackson or Joe Burrow and finding out instead you were getting to work with Baker Mayfield.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He sounds like a young dude who doesn’t have anyone keeping his ego in check.  

I expect that to change with the new staff.

Personally I bring in a vet QB to challenge him every day.

The frustrating thing is with his personality, I’m not sure what is going to change his mentality if this season didn’t humble him. I really hope that this situation does happen and we see some change but right now I am having a hard time seeing it.

• Like 1

I’d absolutely load up and hoard draft capital this year, because with Tua potentially coming back, along with Lawrence and Fields in 2021, if Baker sucks and refuses to be coachable, I’d trade that hoard for any of those three and give Baker the Degeneration X salute on his way out of town. Our next HC will want “his guy” too if Baker doesn’t listen and improve.

Edited by MWil23

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We got carried away with our love for Baker last year, but the pendulum has swung too far the other way with year.

He’s immensely talented and by all accounts a hard worker.  Let’s see how things play out before starting to scout for his replacement. 😂 

I’m just saying we should be prepared instead of looking really bad and being in 12-17 pick purgatory in 2021/2022. That’s all.

This is certainly a "what have you done for me lately" league, but we are talking about a kid who broke the rookie record for TD passes a year ago.

The drop off has a lot of angles to it.  There was poor coaching, and scheming for sure, but Baker needs to own up to his end.  If in his mind, he understands where HE went wrong, then maybe he believes he can correct that.  I certainly hope he is not THAT egotistical, that he doesn't realize that he could also use some help.

He has shown me enough to believe that he can be successful moving forward.  Alot of that will be up to good coaching, and some self awareness of how he can improve.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’m just saying we should be prepared instead of looking really bad and being in 12-17 pick purgatory in 2021/2022. That’s all.

I would have a ray of optimism if he had it bad second season like this but had a mentality that he was going to soak up knowledge through other people and was willing to do whatever he needed to improve. Alas, he had an awful season and thinks he is going to figure it out on his own. Eat some humble pie dude.