Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I would have a ray of optimism if he had it bad second season like this but had a mentality that he was going to soak up knowledge through other people and was willing to do whatever he needed to improve. Alas, he had an awful season and thinks he is going to figure it out on his own. Eat some humble pie dude.

Yep. This is exactly why I’m not optimistic. If he was willing to own how awful he has been and desire to be coachable and learn from others, maybe I’d think differently. Clearly though he’s arrived and looks to know more than everyone else in the off-season.

I believe I heard Landry in the exit interviews indicate that they (Baker, he, and OBJ) were planning on getting together in the off season to work together.  He didn't go into detail, but it was pretty obvious that they were serious about doing so.  I understand that most QB's get together with their wideouts to work on timing, but that doesn't show me a kid that isn't willing to work.

• Like 2

“I already know what exactly I need to work on and improve going forward,” Mayfield said. “That is the exciting thing about it, it is always a continual process of getting better and improving.”

Mayfield said he will study his technique and try to improve his footwork, but not with a private quarterback coach.

“I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” Mayfield said. “I can look at film and be critical of myself. Throughout this process, I have had people help me out along the way and try and take things from different people. Anytime I am around somebody, I ask questions. Do not act like I have it all figured out.

“There is always room to improve and take things from there and there, but I would not say that I will go on the beach and swim through the ocean and try and learn how to play quarterback by doing that.”

This doesn’t sound like a guy who isn’t going to work with people in the off-season or take advice or learn some better techniques

This sounds like an answer you say when you are trying to move on from a question. I also think it was tongue and cheek about a guru.

The real question is,  now that his safety net (John Dorsey) is gone, what is he going to do so he isn’t gone in 2 years? 

• Like 3

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

I'll give you that, you seemed optimistic prior to what he said a handful of days ago.

I was optimistic until Week 6-7. His attitude, production, and body language has been awful. This reinforces my opinions of him.

32 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I believe I heard Landry in the exit interviews indicate that they (Baker, he, and OBJ) were planning on getting together in the off season to work together.  He didn't go into detail, but it was pretty obvious that they were serious about doing so.  I understand that most QB's get together with their wideouts to work on timing, but that doesn't show me a kid that isn't willing to work.

Then that is fine to me.

Those 3 need to work **** out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

@JDD The problem with that is that it’s not fully possible to look at one self with a fully critical eye. I mean, basic stuff in every aspect of his game at this second year stage could use some work. He needs some outside guidance and doesn’t seem open to it.

He said he talks to people. Then goes on to say running on a beach isn’t going to make him a better qb. The part about him not working with someone seemed more click bait to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDD said:

He said he talks to people. Then goes on to say running on a beach isn’t going to make him a better qb. The part about him not working with someone seemed more click bait to me. 

I wouldn't...

It's widely mentioned on this site that Baker was lazy and didn't give the proper time to football so if there is a shred of evidence of something, even if it doesn't say what a lot of people heard, you aren't changing any opinions.

There are reports from "respected sources" that say OBJ missed and was late to meetings regularly and If you ran a poll of who worked harder in this forum OBJ would beat Baker in a landslide.

Tretter, Chubb, Schobert and Ward can stall tall from the seasons they had.

Landry performed well on the field most of the time. Bitonio was good but still struggled more than you'd like at times. Garrett got pressure on the QB until he did his thing. Everybody else on the team (minus ST and reserves) had disappointing seasons. The QB gets the brunt of it because of position value although I'm not sure it's fair to claim things we don't know are true about laziness, ego and etc. but he is the face so he gets scrutinized most, even if there is no knowledge of specific things being true or they don't like the way he raised an eyebrow after a question.

Baker needs to protect the ball better. Unless you are a high powered offense, which we ended up not being, you have to protect the ball. He threw off of his back foot too often and he rolled to his right too often, that has a lot to do with our line but still an issue. He still doesn't use enough touch on passes to backs/TE. That's real critiques, the other stuff is just piling on because people are angry at the team and he is in the face so they go with more personal flaws that they think they see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

That's real critiques, the other stuff is just piling on

What “other stuff?” Like throwing the training staff under the bus? The Duke Johnson situation? Constantly getting into random beefs with the media (this one doesn’t bother me, but it IS a thing)?

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

What “other stuff?” Like throwing the training staff under the bus? The Duke Johnson situation? Constantly getting into random beefs with the media (this one doesn’t bother me, but it IS a thing)?

He was trying to protect a teammate. Duke didn't want to be here, I don't care what anyone says about a player who says they don't want to be on the team whether it is Duke or Mayfield, once you go that route I don't want you here either. I don't care about his issues with Grossi or Rex Ryan, it isn't football related. If you want to defend yourself I have no problem with that. If he felt bullied I support him.

I'm talking about people saying he didn't give the effort. His demeanor. His facial expressions. His personality. His ego. His entitlement. Most of the stuff people complain about. I only care about on the field the rest is just noise. I like his personality. A little brash and forward but he is all in on his guys and all in o Cleveland. That is offputting to some (mostly the I loved Sam Darnold crowd). I like him. Either way, if I didn't like his personality I would hope I wouldn't be complaining about that instead of his performance.

2 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

He's kinda gone beyond chip on my shoulder guy to narcissistic my success is predetermined guy.  Hopefully new coaching staff reels him in.

His two bigger enablers are gone.

That should help, or at least jolt him a little.

1 hour ago, JDD said:

“I already know what exactly I need to work on and improve going forward,” Mayfield said. “That is the exciting thing about it, it is always a continual process of getting better and improving.”

Mayfield said he will study his technique and try to improve his footwork, but not with a private quarterback coach.

“I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” Mayfield said. “I can look at film and be critical of myself. Throughout this process, I have had people help me out along the way and try and take things from different people. Anytime I am around somebody, I ask questions. Do not act like I have it all figured out.

“There is always room to improve and take things from there and there, but I would not say that I will go on the beach and swim through the ocean and try and learn how to play quarterback by doing that.”

This doesn’t sound like a guy who isn’t going to work with people in the off-season or take advice or learn some better techniques

This sounds like an answer you say when you are trying to move on from a question. I also think it was tongue and cheek about a guru.

The real question is,  now that his safety net (John Dorsey) is gone, what is he going to do so he isn’t gone in 2 years? 

The actual video presser gives all context. It's not about headlines or misreading Baker. It's not just a misreading or misperception of some tongue-in-cheek comment.

He was asked specifically, "Some of those little things you're talking about working on would you see someone for that."

His response was similar and dismissive of external QB training help as he's been in the past in his comments and actions. The beach swimming thing is an embellishment of course but reflective of how little he thinks of such help.

There's also a common thing that happens in human public communication called statement fixing. It's when people often say things first that reveal their real feelings and when they hear their words out loud and know that it might not be received well they throw on a phrase or 2 to clean things up public perception wise with the 2nd or 3rd thing not really being indicative of their overall point but instead a rhetorical device to blunt their original words.

As a person that's studied communications, that's so very clearly what Baker was doing by throwing in the "Throughout this process, I have had people help me out along the way and try and take things from different people. Anytime I am around somebody, I ask questions. Do not act like I have it all figured out" line; that is, he himself is aware while saying it that he may come off as "sounding like he knows it all" so he threw in a line there before returning to the fact that he dismisses the value and need for seeking out QB training help which is what he concluded with.

Contrary to your assessment, I think it is Very Clearly a person that isn't going to work with people in the off-season. I"m not sure how you could conclude otherwise. Beyond just this or past pressers, coaches and even Ryan Lindley have revealed that Baker isn't going to seek out such help.

Around the 8:15 mark.

That'

I don’t work for the Browns.  I don’t know Baker so I can’t say he’s lazy.  I know lazy people.  They usually are excuse makers.  They throw others under the bus in meetings. They usually don’t have anything good to say about anyone and vice versa