Cowboys release DE Taco Charlton; claimed by Dolphins

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Fans of any team looking to pick him need to think about this for a second: Rod M. couldn't coach him.

Something also to think about:  Dallas was willing to eat $3+M in dead money to offload him.  

I'm still rueing the fact that we passed over TJ Watt because someone in the Dallas war room *cough* RodM *cough* didn't think he could play as a 4-3RDE. 

Analytics reject. There is simply no reason to draft an analytics reject so high at that position. The Dolphins made the same mistake with Dion Jordan and again with Charles Harris. Other positions can be debated in terms of analytics applicability, but those change of direction and lower body explosiveness tests really pinpoint edge rush success or failure. No reason to care about the exceptions when the examples are so many. Just because an edge rusher looks like an athletic fit based on subjectivity doesn't mean it will pan out that way if his relevant numbers are ghastly. 

Waldo was obviously way ahead of the game here years ago. I also like the Common Man Football guy on YouTube because he is the first I have seen who smartly incorporates age of the prospect into his analytic ratings, instead of pretending that a 3rd year guy and 5th year guy should be viewed in parallel. 

This was Jim Cobern's summary of Taco Charlton in 2017: https://draftcobern.wordpress.com/2017/03/13/2017-nfl-draft-analytics-profile-taco-charlton/

"Metric Analysis: Taco Charlton looks the part from a physical standpoint. But his production and athleticism are significantly below average. And he didn’t meet the long-term starter speed score threshold. Charlton has the overall profile of a reserve to backup caliber player. He has some good indicators, but most of his data profile is just ugly."

• Like 5

Former 1st / 2nd rd pick, cut/let go by the team that drafted him do to poor production or underachieving?

Gee, wonder "Who" collects these types of players at nauseam the past 2 Decades and turns them into players who contribute heavily on their SB Runs??

Patriot in

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Former 1st / 2nd rd pick, cut/let go by the team that drafted him do to poor production or underachieving?

Gee, wonder "Who" collects these types of players at nauseam the past 2 Decades and turns them into players who contribute heavily on their SB Runs??

Patriot in

that would be pretty typical imo. Whoever can turn Shilique Calhoun into a serviceable/ fringe starting caliber player can do the same with Charlton also imo.

18 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I remember the NFL official Twitter handle trying to prop him up his rookie season in a Preseason game but haven't heard anything about him since. 

Is he really bad?

He and our DC hated eachother so its hard to know. He played well in preseason but he has been invisible in actual games.

14 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Miami would probably be more than happy to move him for a late rounder, but I don't think the Cowboys can take on his absurd contact. Dudes like a 25m cap hit this season making him basically untradable

A deal can be made with the condition that Miami must take a portion of that hit, but the compensation would have to be pretty good.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

A deal can be made with the condition that Miami must take a portion of that hit, but the compensation would have to be pretty good.

it's not just this year though

Reshad still has two years left on his contract after that with a pretty bad cap hit. Miami will probably cut ties in the offseason and just eat the dead money but another team with less cap room probably doesn't want that burden.

He's more or less unmoveable.

34 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Love how every Cowboy fan was hyping this guy through preseason...

Super Taco Hype with extra BS on top.

I call BS. Quotes please. 

He did have a great preseason, but I am the biggest Cowboys fan in the world and I dont know a single person who had any real expectations for him in the real season.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

29 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

it's not just this year though

Reshad still has two years left on his contract after that with a pretty bad cap hit. Miami will probably cut ties in the offseason and just eat the dead money but another team with less cap room probably doesn't want that burden.

He's more or less unmoveable.

The cap hits are gross, but the receiving team would just be on the hook for the salary. Which is ~$11m/yr. I dont know enough about the guy, is he worth that?

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The cap hits are gross, but the receiving team would just be on the hook for the salary. Which is ~$11m/yr. I dont know enough about the guy, is he worth that?

He's still pretty good if that's what you mean.

He's getting up there in age so his athleticism is down. Probably best used as an in the box safety at this point in his career but he can play FS too

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I call BS. Quotes please. 

He did have a great preseason, but I am the biggest Cowboys fan in the world and I dont know a single person who had any real expectations for him in the real season.

I know who he is. That's your proof. 

And I couldn't even name your starting D. 

5 hours ago, kramxel said:

Love how every Cowboy fan was hyping this guy through preseason...

Super Taco Hype with extra BS on top.

We have our idiot fans just like every other team.    I remember a lot of guys in the Cowboys section saying, "I don't know about this pick"   and  "Maybe Marinelli can coach him up".    I don't remember too many people being excited about the pick,  except maybe Eagles fans.

• Like 1