Around the League Talk

titansNvolsR#1

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I can't believe how truly terrible the Giants are.

I am shocked at how bad their defense has been lately. I'm not too surprised the offense has been lacking, especially with the WR corps going down, but the defense has been getting shredded. Will be interesting to see what happens with Eli after this year. 

23 minutes ago, TitanTuff said:

Steelers cornerback Joe Haden left Sunday’s 20-17 win over the Colts with a left leg injury.

Coach Mike Tomlin said after the game that Haden broke his fibula and is out indefinitely.

Apparently Haden's backup is Coty Sensabaugh. So there's that.

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

This is one thing PK is right about though. How anyone could think of McDaniels as an attractive option at HC is beyond me.

It's also JLC. I'm going to leave this here, since it's barely noteworthy, but is also JLC:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/will-jon-gruden-leave-the-booth-to-return-to-the-buccaneers-dont-rule-it-out/

Some close to Gruden noted the Titans job as another that would uniquely appeal to Gruden should it open up -- he has strong family ties to Tennessee and has been a champion of quarterback Marcus Mariota -- noting they suspect the former coach would be selective about which jobs he would entertain but acknowledging the field this offseason could skew uniquely to his liking.

"Should it open up." We're now 15-10 in the Mularkey era after he took over the worst team in football and the national media is still trying to insist that he's not going to stick around long-term.

Just now, titans0021 said:

It's also JLC. I'm going to leave this here, since it's barely noteworthy, but is also JLC:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/will-jon-gruden-leave-the-booth-to-return-to-the-buccaneers-dont-rule-it-out/

"Should it open up." We're now 15-10 in the Mularkey era after he took over the worst team in football and the national media is still trying to insist that he's not going to stick around long-term.

Also, this just in:

Coaching candidates would be interested in job that comes with QB already in place.

And I've yet to understand the obsession with Gruden. It's been 15 years since that guy won anything worth noting. It's really bad for me right now because the Vols just fired Butch Jones and Vol fans have some weird obsession with Gruden.

7 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Also, this just in:

Coaching candidates would be interested in job that comes with QB already in place.

And I've yet to understand the obsession with Gruden. It's been 15 years since that guy won anything worth noting. It's really bad for me right now because the Vols just fired Butch Jones and Vol fans have some weird obsession with Gruden.

I would take him as a college coach before I'd take him as an NFL coach. At the very least, the name and the ring add some prestige on the recruiting trail and he can try to sign a dozen QBs every recruiting cycle, which would probably be paradise for him.

At the NFL level, I have no real understanding of the obsession. Not that he was necessarily bad in Tampa, but he was pretty Fisher-esque and was entirely unwilling to commit to a quarterback. I guess it's just because he's still relatively young and absence makes the heart grown fonder? 

I give it another four or five years before some fanbase gets really excited about hiring a HC with a killer moustache and SB experience.

jeff-fisher-thumbs-up-yo.jpg

10 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I would take him as a college coach before I'd take him as an NFL coach. At the very least, the name and the ring add some prestige on the recruiting trail and he can try to sign a dozen QBs every recruiting cycle, which would probably be paradise for him.

At the NFL level, I have no real understanding of the obsession. Not that he was necessarily bad in Tampa, but he was pretty Fisher-esque and was entirely unwilling to commit to a quarterback. I guess it's just because he's still relatively young and absence makes the heart grown fonder? 

I give it another four or five years before some fanbase gets really excited about hiring a HC with a killer moustache and SB experience.

jeff-fisher-thumbs-up-yo.jpg

He was brought up on local radio about the UT job.
I think he would do a lot better in college with recruiting. 

11 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

This is one thing PK is right about though. How anyone could think of McDaniels as an attractive option at HC is beyond me.

I don’t get how no one thinks he should get a 2nd chance. Yes he was terrible in Den and made dumb choices but the man knows how to call a game. I said it before the one thing I love about his game planning is they arnt a run first team a Pass first team a west coast offense they arnt exotic smash mouth, they game plan and prepare for what ever the opponent is. If the opponent is great at the run the Pats are going to spread you out and not let you be great at the run. If you are good at the pass they will run the ball. Unlike the Titans who just can’t figure out what to do at times during the game like in Cleveland when they have 9 in the box and the Titans say doesn’t matter were exotic Smashmouth and where gonna run it with 9 in the box instead of throwing over the 9 in the box

Calling a game is an OC thing... a HC needs to be able to do more than that.  Look at Gase in Miami... his team's falling apart... eventhough he's the one calling plays... which is his forte as well.  

Some guys are amazing coordinators but just can't take that next step to HC.  Phillips may be one of the best DC's of all time... guy's defenses are amazing... it just hasn't translated to HC success (especially in the playoffs).  Same with Norv Turner, Romeo Crennel, etc... 

Archived