Trubisky 2019 season development & growth thread

malagabears

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Idk, we have several posts in the last couple days suggesting replacing a 3rd year QB (who oh btw the last time we saw him for more than 3 plays threw 3 TDs, had a passer rating over 100, and is now 13-4 in his last 17 games, 17-12 for his career), with guys who the teams that drafted are giving up on after 5 years of perennially underperforming.  It's a joke.  QB development is not instantaneous, and you posted the stats about hownhenis throwing among the least amount of "bad" throws in the league while simultaneously getting next to no hope from his skill players, or his oline.  Cmon gimme a break.

The past few pages have been talking about competition for Mitch not replacing him outright. He's still cheap enough to keep even after what hopefully isn't a bad season. But if he does I very much expect Pace will bring in competition. They aren't going to pin the blame on everyone else but Mitch. They talked the talk this offseason about him and he's completely let us down so far. He needs to be given the rest of the season to work through whatever it is that he's working through. But after his leash should be short. This team is far too talented to sit around and wait for him to figure out not to stare down Allen Robinson at plenty of points during the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Idk, we have several posts in the last couple days suggesting replacing a 3rd year QB (who oh btw the last time we saw him for more than 3 plays threw 3 TDs, had a passer rating over 100, and is now 13-4 in his last 17 games, 17-12 for his career), with guys who the teams that drafted are giving up on after 5 years of perennially underperforming.  It's a joke.  QB development is not instantaneous, and you posted the stats about hownhenis throwing among the least amount of "bad" throws in the league while simultaneously getting next to no hope from his skill players, or his oline.  Cmon gimme a break.

1. No one is suggesting replacing him, jut bringing in competition. Mitch does not deserve to be the unquestioned starter based on what we have seen. Maybe he proves us wrong over the next 11 games, but it is not trending that direction.

2. You can cherry pick positive snaps, but we all know Mitch has not been very good and has not shown the development that should be reasonably expected. Graduating to 202 has looked like regressing back to high school.

3. Instantaneous? It has been 3 years and 30 starts. It has been 19 starts with Nagy. No one expected nor did they get instantaneous results. It is year 3 and we are still waiting for consistent signs of development and progress. The patience argument has run out and no longer holds water. This is the NFL your QB does not get 4-5 years to find himself and discover his way. Financially it is not possible. It also is wasting prime years of a Super Bowl defense. Trubisky is an NFL QB, not a toddler learning to ride a bike, there needs to be more rapid development than he is showing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Couldn't one argue that Cutler was in horrible situations his entire career, too? There comes a point when a reason turns into an excuse. Before the year Ben Allbright, who's becoming very well plugged in, reported that a lot of people inside the TEN organization were beginning to wonder if they were wasting a great D with Mariota at QB. Sound familiar? Pass.

Good point.  I'm on the fence with Mariota. 

I understand the possible reasons behind why he has not lived up to his full potential in TEN including the constant change in OC's, offensive schemes, etc. and I also understand the connection with Helfrich and the RPO system but I am also skeptical that he will just suddenly turn his career around elsewhere.

Honestly speaking though he cannot be any worse than Chase Daniel as a backup/fill-in starter can he?  At least Mariota can run when he needs to and see over his offensive line.

Serious question, how do you think Mitch feels right now seeing the successes and MVP talk of the QB's drafted behind him in Mahomes and Watson?  Has to be pretty demoralizing doesn't it.

I know that if I was in his position I'd be highly motivated to prove all the doubters wrong and work my *** off all day every day to do so.  Does he have the mental fortitude, ability and work ethic to prove all the doubters wrong?  Now is the time to find out..LFG

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Good point.  I'm on the fence with Mariota. 

I understand the possible reasons behind why he has not lived up to his full potential in TEN including the constant change in OC's, offensive schemes, etc. and I also understand the connection with Helfrich and the RPO system but I am also skeptical that he will just suddenly turn his career around elsewhere.

Honestly speaking though he cannot be any worse than Chase Daniel as a backup/fill-in starter can he?  At least Mariota can run when he needs to and see over his offensive line.

It is simply about the best possible option to compete. Mariota or a high pick. Personally, I would like to double down in the 2nd round on OL or a TE and sign a veteran to compete.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Serious question, how do you think Mitch feels right now seeing the successes and MVP talk of the QB's drafted behind him in Mahomes and Watson?  Has to be pretty demoralizing doesn't it.

I know that if I was in his position I'd be highly motivated to prove all the doubters wrong and work my *** off all day every day to do so.  Does he have the mental fortitude, ability and work ethic to prove all the doubters wrong?  Now is the time to find out..LFG

I strongly doubt that success, particularly at QB, is correlated with how hard someone works. By all accounts, Mitch already works hard. Hard work strongly being linked to success is part of the American myth, and we try to perpetuate it by assigning athletic success to that singular attribute. Tom Brady works harder than every QB to have ever played? AR? Some simply have extraordinary gifts that are coupled with a propensity to excel in a given situation. I think that the ability to deal with pressure, which is a talent far more innate than developed, is what separates most QBs. In this sense, Mitch's performances have been troubling. His prime time performances have been far weaker than those taking place during the anonymity of early-starting games. (Also, consider the pick he threw at the end of his bowl game.) In contrast, Watson brings his best to those highlighted games. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Thru 4 games, after leading the league in deep throws last year.  Maybe the air yards are low bc the oline cant protect long enough for him to finish his drop half the time.  

There's a very strong negative correlation between depth of target and bad throw rate. Obviously Mitch will be at the bottom of the list of bad throws when his ADOT is among the lowest in the league. Last season he had an above-average ADOT and also one of the worst bad throw rates.

I'm not trying to make a statement about Trubisky here, just trying to demonstrate that looking at Bad Throw Rate without the context of other stats won't help us to fairly evaluate him.

1 minute ago, yomyyo said:

I strongly doubt that success, particularly at QB, is correlated with how hard someone works. By all accounts, Mitch already works hard. Hard work strongly being linked to success is part of the American myth, and we try to perpetuate it by assigning athletic success to that singular attribute. Tom Brady works harder than every QB to have ever played? AR? Some simply have extraordinary gifts that are coupled with a propensity to excel in a given situation. I think that the ability to deal with pressure, which is a talent far more innate than developed, is what separates most QBs. In this sense, Mitch's performances have been troubling. His prime time performances have been far weaker than those taking place during the anonymity of early-starting games. (Also, consider the pick he threw at the end of his bowl game.) In contrast, Watson brings his best to those highlighted games. 

I agree with your post.  That's why I asked the question..does he have the mental fortitude, ability and work ethic to prove all the doubters wrong? 

This is not me criticizing or speculating on Mitch having a poor work ethic, I was just saying that always being compared to those two guys (although not his fault) would drive me up the wall and I would make sure that i'd do everything in my ability and more to make sure I'm not an afterthought and have the last laugh at all the haters.

Some people are just born with that natural ability but I still believe that if you work extremely hard at something you can become a master at it provided you already have a certain talent at something.  Mitch is very likable guy and seems highly motivated.  I'm pulling for him.

A few elements of the Mitch's game that have changed pretty dramatically from last season:

1. He's throwing more short passes (a lot more). His Average Depth of Target is down 22% from last year.
  2. He's not scrambling nearly as much. He's running 77% less often on designed passing plays.
  3. He's being pressured more. QB hurries allowed by the Bears are up 46% from last season with Mitch playing QB.

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Some people are just born with that natural ability but I still believe that if you work extremely hard at something you can become a master at it provided you already have a certain talent at something.  Mitch is very likable guy and seems highly motivated.  I'm pulling for him.

I, too, like Mitch and hope he succeeds. Obviously he has incredible physical ability; we shall see about the rest. Worrying are the comments from those in the organization. When the head coach is still talking about the need for the QB to crispy move in and out of the huddle – after three years! – that is not a strong endorsement of his mental fortitude.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It is simply about the best possible option to compete. Mariota or a high pick. Personally, I would like to double down in the 2nd round on OL or a TE and sign a veteran to compete.

This is also what I think they should do.

Drafting another rookie QB with limited resources seems like a bit of a step back at this point for a team with SB aspirations in the short term. 

Does anyone really expect a 2nd round+ rookie to come in, win the starting job and be good enough to lead this team?  I don't see it man.

I think they'd be better off rolling with Mitch and a veteran next year like A. Smith, Foles, Mariota, Teddy, , etc. and then if things don't work out with either option then you cut bait and start all over again in 2021 before Mitch's 5th year option would kick in.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

He's throwing more short passes (a lot more). His Average Depth of Target is down 22% from last year.

The continued preponderance of long horizontal passes towards the sidelines is baffling. I was so frustrated watching the Eagles game last year, and for whatever reason, Nagy has continued to call these plays, despite their general ineffectiveness. 

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If he doesn't command starter's money I'd absolutely take a flier on Mariota as a backup next year. Rumors were that Pace tried to trade up for him so there is *some* interest I would think.