Dave Gettleman and the Giants rebuild

Gmen

He torched a tampa defense that just gave up 40 points, and beat a redskins defense which is an abomination and about to fire their head coach. 

He's 2-0 and is rhe right man to lead the Giants back to relevance, but common get off his jock. 

Edited by thebestever6

8 hours ago, Synopsis said:

Panthers actually have a complete team post-Gettleman. Good WRs, good secondary, good pass rush, found a franchise LT. The only question mark is quarterback.

If Gettleman were still in Carolina, Benjamin would still be starting games.

I think Gettleman realized he made a mistake by taking Benji/Funchess when he started going for faster guys like CMC and Samuel in his last draft. And calling Greg Little a franchise LT is a bit rich for me considering he has one start.

In any case, Gettleman built rosters for the Panthers from 2013-2017 who went to the playoffs four times in five seasons. Obviously last season is another dark mark under the Hurney regime, after having several during his first tenure. His teams have made the playoffs just three times in twelve years.

10 hours ago, bzane said:

I would agree that it's still early to sing the praises of Dave Gettleman, definitively; but thus far he has provided hope, and promising signs. As a Giants' fan I am guardedly optimistic. There are reasons to think that the Giants are pointed in the right direction.

Thus far, in his first two drafts, Dave Gettleman has gathered more good or potentially-good NFL players than his predessor, Jerry Reese, provided in his eleven years as GM. I as a fan am happy with the 2017 haul of Saquon Barkley, Will Hernandez, Lorenzo Carter, and B.J. Hill; and the 2018 draft of Daniel Jones, Dexter Lawrence, Deandre Baker, Oshane Ximines, Ryan Connelly, and Darius Slayton. Yes, there are growing pains, and there is no way of deciding if they will all succeed. But there is hope. Hope that we did not have before him.

Compare that to the ghastly Reese Era, the drafted first-round flops, athletic freaks inept at football, mid-round linebacker busts, mid-round offensive linemen busts, non-schematic fits, late-round throw-a-dart gambles; the Black Hole of the Dreaded Third Round.

Again, I would urge caution, but I suggest that the first two years under Gettleman have reason for optimism among those of us fans who suffered through the Jerry Reese Years:

Image result for The Dark Ages

Yeah I agree with BZ on this. Watching Ryan Connelly play yesterday (before he was lost to an ACL. RIP.) I caught myself thinking "I can't remember the last time the Giants hit on a 5th round pick like this. Kevin Boss? Gibril Wilson? David Diehl?"

Obviously this is way way way too early to be proclaiming anything, but it's nice to have a little hope. I think this game against the Vikings will be a really good litmus test for this team as a whole. The Vikings tormented Eli for years, so lets see how our young DJ does. Hope Golden Tate gives the offense a lift.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

You’re old enough to have a co-worker? I pegged you as being 14 years old. That’s bad. 

We all make mistakes. Thankfully Gettleman did not with the Jones selection.

You see how I steered this back on topic? That’s what adults do. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

He's 2-0 and is rhe right man to lead the Giants back to relevance, but common get off his jock. 

This is already a far cry from what we heard on draft day, when Gettleman was a laughing stock for taking what the great Todd McShay considered a late 2nd round prospect at #6 overall. This is progress. 

25 minutes ago, Gmen said:

This is already a far cry from what we heard on draft day, when Gettleman was a laughing stock for taking what the great Todd McShay considered a late 2nd round prospect at #6 overall. This is progress. 

And mel kiper said if Jimmy Clausen wasn't a franchise qb he'd retire what's your point?

I liked Daniel Jones wanted Denver to take him

23 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

And mel kiper said if Jimmy Clausen wasn't a franchise qb he'd retire what's your point?

I liked Daniel Jones wanted Denver to take him

Well you were certainly a part of the minority in regard to Jones. But the overwhelming narrative was that Gettleman ruined the Giants by passing on Darnold for Saquon, and then compounded it by taking Jones over Haskins. 

Edited by Gmen

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

We all make mistakes. Thankfully Gettleman did not with the Jones selection.

You see how I steered this back on topic? That’s what adults do. 

Being over 18 years old doesn't mean you're an adult. Maybe technically you can classify yourself that way, but your actions are still those of a child.

I like Daniel Jones actually. But your homerism is sickening.

35 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Being over 18 years old doesn't mean you're an adult. Maybe technically you can classify yourself that way, but your actions are still those of a child.

I like Daniel Jones actually. But your homerism is sickening.

Taking shots at posters instead of focusing on the topic at hand is childish. I hope this irony isn’t lost on you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Gettleman ruined the Giants by passing on Darnold for Saquon, and then compounded it by taking Jones over Haskins. 

I didn't buy any of that Gentleman's biggest challenge from here on out is getting the roster right. 

I doubt Giants are going to be picking top 10 -15 for the foreseeable future. That's a whole new challenge.  The same one Polian faced with Manning, Elway Faced with Manning, Falcons faced once Matt Ryan was the guy etc. 

8 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Imagine making these arguments and using a 4 game sample size as proofxD

The Browns would have won multiple championships over the last decade if we apply this logic. 

I admit it’s a small sample size. This is instant analysis. But since when was that prohibited? 

It seems like people are willing to laugh, joke, criticize at a moments notice, and much much more cautious to admit they were wrong. Not surprising, but I’m sure a psych major has written a thesis on this behavior.

Edited by Gmen

@Gmen I was not particularly impressed by Daniel Jones in the game against the Redskins.  He threw two awful INTs, and only picked up 225 yards through the air.  Some of his misses were bad misses too, he could have easily had two more INTs.  All of that is against a defense that has looked abysmal so far this season.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

@Gmen I was not particularly impressed by Daniel Jones in the game against the Redskins.  He threw two awful INTs, and only picked up 225 yards through the air.  Some of his misses were bad misses too, he could have easily had two more INTs.  All of that is against a defense that has looked abysmal so far this season.  

One other pass could have been intercepted by Norman. Where was the other?  He also made plays with his legs that you can’t discount, and he had a big gain called back on a questionable penalty. He completed 75% of his passes in a conservative gameplan. He took what the defense gave him. And he didn’t need to throw as much in the second half, because frankly Haskins was throwing enough passes to the Giants.

If you want to see what Daniel Jones can do, go watch the Bucs game. That’s why we’re excited and believe we have our franchise quarterback. He’ll have his ups and downs along the way. If the Redskins game was a low point, I’ll take it. Nobody is pretending he’s a pro bowler this year. But he’s every bit what you expect out of the #6 overall pick.

39 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Yeah, it would be hard to come away particularly impressed by him from just that game. He didn't really do anything impressive, besides the plays he used his feet and the touchdown where he went through 4 reads in about 2 seconds. Like @Gmen said, the Bucs game was the more impressive one. And like I've said previously in this thread, nobody expected him to improve on that performance in his next game. The picks were bad, but besides that I can only think of maybe 2 other 'bad' passes. He was very efficient and accurate in the short game. He looked a lot more like a rookie in this one.