Dave Gettleman and the Giants rebuild

Gmen

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

PFF's take. 

They don’t provide any context. He played a top 5 defense with absolutely no running game. What do you expect? Any quarterback would struggle given the circumstances, let alone a rookie. I think they’re glad to crap on Jones any chance they get because they didn’t like him as a prospect at all. Even in week 3, when he won NFC player of the week, their grade for him made me scratch my head. I thought he played well in each of his three games. This game hasn’t changed my opinion of Jones one bit. He’s a stud.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gmen said:

They don’t provide any context. He played a top 5 defense with absolutely no running game. What do you expect? Any quarterback would struggle given the circumstances, let alone a rookie. I think they’re glad to crap on Jones any chance they get because they didn’t like him as a prospect at all. Even in week 3, when he won NFC player of the week, their grade for him made me scratch my head. I thought he played well in each of his three games. This game hasn’t changed my opinion of Jones one bit. He’s a stud.

It's just their to grade the decisions that a QB makes regardless of circumstances. They aren't saying that Daniel's situation is easy. They aren't saying that he shouldn't struggle. They're saying what happened anyhow. There is no agenda or conspiracy. Should I disregard anything you say, because you're a Giants fan?

PFF admits when they are wrong. I listen to their podcast every week. They said he played well in the preseason, and his first start, again, regardless of circumstances. His last two, he didn't according to their metrics. If you want more context get a subscription. 

Yes, Jones has a bum roster to work with. Doesn't mean he still can't have lackluster performances, and it doesn't mean he can't have good performances as a passer like he did week 1.

Edited by PapaShogun

He didn't play great, but considering the circumstances it wasn't as terrible as the box score made it out.  Still, not a good performance as he made a few bad throws.  He's a rookie starting after only 2 games on the bench on a bad team, so I personally am not that concerned with today's performance from him

• Like 1

Worth noting:

He's been pressured on almost half of all dropbacks. OL has gotta get it together. Solder has been bad all year, but Hernandez and Halapio have had some recent big time downs. Surprisingly, Remmers has been holding it down at RT. Big time bounceback year for him. Zeitler is a cyborg; he's playing through a pretty bad shoulder injury and still super solid. 

14 hours ago, Gmen said:

PFF definitely comes off bias sometimes. They seem to cut slack on guys they graded well coming out of the draft. I've been noticing this as some of the grades they've giving out have had me scratching my head. I haven't seen Jones play all season, but it doesn't surprise me that there biased against him. There's subjectivity in grading players. It's not cut and dry as much as we would like unfortunately. 

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/10/8/20903976/ny-giants-daniel-jones-the-life-of-a-rookie-will-include-ups-and-downs

Great article by one of my favorite internet QB evaluators, Mark Schofield, on Daniel Jones. He touches on some really great points here. Like I said before about this game from DJ, not as overall impressive as his first start, but he continued to exhibit things that I am looking for in a developing young QB. He really took some licks this game and still made some impressive throws.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 5:42 AM, Gmen said:

“They don’t take context” just like you didn’t take context when Jones beat up on the absolute terrible Bucs secondary and the mess that is the Washington Redskins? 

Yikes, I see context only matters when it benefits you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

“They don’t take context” just like you didn’t take context when Jones beat up on the absolute terrible Bucs secondary and the mess that is the Washington Redskins? 

Yikes, I see context only matters when it benefits you. 

I know you take Daniel Jones' success very personally since it's a reflection on your terrible scouting abilities. Instead of getting into box score scouting, which I suspect is why you had Jones as fourth round prospect, here are some quotes from people that know what they're talking about.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bill-belichick-impressed-with-daniel-jones-previously-hinted-patriots-were-interested-in-drafting-him/

Belichick was said to be so enamored with Jones' skill set back in the spring that Dianna Russini of ESPN reports he told Duke head coach David Cutcliffe that, "Jones won't be there when we are on the clock but I sure hope he drops."

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/07/minnesota-vikings-everson-griffen-stops-press-conference-praise-new-york-giants-daniel-jones/

The Minnesota Vikings had just defeated the New York Giants, 28-10, to improve to 3-2 on the season, but rather than discussing the win, defensive end Everson Griffen opened his press conference by shouting out rookie quarterback Daniel Jones.

“I want to give a shout out to the rook (Daniel Jones). He’s doing really good. He’s shown courage. He’s a good player, so I see good things happening for him in the future,” Griffen told reporters.

I'm sure you'll be feeling smart tonight after Jones has a rough night against the best rated defense in the league, without his top 3 offensive threats, playing in New England, in a monsoon.  But trust me - it won't make you any less wrong about Daniel Jones.  He's going to be great.

Edited by Gmen

30 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

DeAndre Baker doesn't impress me at all so far. What's his deal?

He’s a man cover guy that has been playing 8 yards off the line. Not sure if by design, or he’s scared to get beat deep. He’s only an average athlete by NFL corner standards 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

DeAndre Baker doesn't impress me at all so far. What's his deal?

He was horrendous the first 2 weeks. He was the worst CB in the entire league up until week 3. In week 3, he more or less shut down Chris Godwin, but I think that has less to do with his play and more to do with Jameis and Mike Evans picking on Jackrabbit on the other side. Since week 3, he has hardly gotten thrown at. I haven't watched him on all-22 to know if it is because his coverage is tight or there are just other places to go with the ball, but it is at least better than how he started. He's had a few pass breakups, allowed a touchdown, made some tackles, missed some tackles.

Like Gmen said, Bettcher was getting way too cute early in the season, running those inverted cover-2 looks where the corner drops back into the deep half, and Baker was just absolutely lost. He was missing assignments and playing scared. It's gotten better for sure, but it is hard to tell exactly how well he is playing right now since he hasn't really been tested. 

The only 2 plays where he really made an impact on Sunday (good or bad), besides the 15 yard taunting penalty, was good coverage on Diggs along the sideline on a 9, and the touchdown he allowed to Thielen. I actually didn't mind the coverage he played on that touchdown; it wasn't great, but that throw was perfect. No corner would have been able to make a play on that. I would have maybe liked to see him try and force Thielen out of bounds before he came down rather than grab his legs.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 9:58 AM, Gmen said:

I admit it’s a small sample size. This is instant analysis. But since when was that prohibited? 

It seems like people are willing to laugh, joke, criticize at a moments notice, and much much more cautious to admit they were wrong. Not surprising, but I’m sure a psych major has written a thesis on this behavior.

:D

I will say that even though the last 3 weeks have been rough (the WAS game was a W, but his 3 TO's were not good against a really bad D), this was to be expected.   Rookies on bad teams struggle.  And certainly on O, with this cast, the G-men are a bad team.  

It would be one thing if he were on a great team (rare), or if this was year 2.  Then the concern would be legit.  Now, we do want to see progress as the season goes on, but it's way too soon to draw any negative conclusions.   Just like it was way too soon to crown him off the preseason against vanilla D schemes and 2nd/3rd string talent, too.   The same applies both ways.

It's also fair to say that he clearly has areas to work on (and to be clear, I'm not using this game as the basis, that's an unfair measuring stick to project off - the WAS/MIN games give the context, @NE just amplifies it to a ridiculous degree on prime time).   Doesn't mean he can't get there, though.  

Edited by Broncofan