Dave Gettleman and the Giants rebuild

Gmen

19 hours ago, Gmen said:

I know you take Daniel Jones' success very personally since it's a reflection on your terrible scouting abilities. Instead of getting into box score scouting, which I suspect is why you had Jones as fourth round prospect, here are some quotes from people that know what they're talking about.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bill-belichick-impressed-with-daniel-jones-previously-hinted-patriots-were-interested-in-drafting-him/

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/07/minnesota-vikings-everson-griffen-stops-press-conference-praise-new-york-giants-daniel-jones/

I'm sure you'll be feeling smart tonight after Jones has a rough night against the best rated defense in the league, without his top 3 offensive threats, playing in New England, in a monsoon.  But trust me - it won't make you any less wrong about Daniel Jones.  He's going to be great.

Doesn’t really address his point, though. You’re quick to say context and point to top rated defenses when Jones struggled, but decide to overlook the very bad defenses he looked decent against. 

On 10/9/2019 at 10:51 PM, BayRaider said:

“They don’t take context” just like you didn’t take context when Jones beat up on the absolute terrible Bucs secondary and the mess that is the Washington Redskins? 

Yikes, I see context only matters when it benefits you. 

To be fair, he should’ve thrown four picks against the Redskins. Two were just flat out dropped. He was not good against the Redskins. 

And I’m not here to pile on, that’s not my point. The idea that he played well against a terrible Redskins defense is absurd. He didn’t. And I’m one of the ones who wants Jones to do well because of all the crap he got for being drafted high. 

Edited by lavar703

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

To be fair, he should’ve thrown four picks against the Redskins. Two were just flat out dropped. He was not good against the Redskins. 

And I’m not here to pile on, that’s not my point. The idea that he played well against a terrible Redskins defense is absurd. He didn’t. And I’m one of the ones who wants Jones to do well because of all the crap he got for being drafted high. 

He was good against the Redskins. He went through his progressions, converted on third down regularly, made plays with his legs. He made a couple rookie decisions - you know, being a rookie and all.

And the past two weeks he faced the 5th and 1st best defenses in the league, short handed on offense. I think the broadcasting team went out of their way to make a point of how stacked the deck was against Jones going into this game. He made a few great throws, a few bad throws, and a few rookie decisions. But the throwing windows were nonexistent. If the Giants were to have any chance, he had to sling it and hope for the best.

This changes nothing. The talent is evident even in rough games last night. Daniel Jones will be great.

Edited by Gmen

8 minutes ago, Gmen said:

He was good against the Redskins. He went through his progressions, converted on third down regularly, made plays with his legs. He made a couple rookie decisions - you know, being a rookie and all.

And the past two weeks he faced the 5th and 1st best defenses in the league, short handed on offense. I think the broadcasting team went out of their way to make a point of how stacked the deck was against Jones going into this game. He made a few great throws, a few bad throws, and a few rookie decisions. But the throwing windows were nonexistent. If the Giants were to have any chance, he had to sling it and hope for the best.

This changes nothing. The talent is evident even in rough games last night. Daniel Jones will be great.

He was not good against the Redskins. He threw two picks and two more were dropped. Saying he was good is not fair at all. Does this mean he’s going to suck? No, absolutely not but when you’re gloating non-stop and asking where everyone went when the guy plays well doesn’t mean you get to excuse it when he plays poorly. And I’m sorry, with the exception of the Bucs game, he has not played well. 

I still think he was the right pick for the Giants and I still think he has a chance to have a good career. I like the dude and he seems like a good guy so he’s easy to root for. I mean, I can’t for obvious reasons but he’ll be fine. Limited weapons, no Saquan is a killer and a rebuilding team is a recipe for disaster so it’s hard to hold any of the poor play against him. He’s out there learning and there’s not much else you can ask for from a young QB. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He was not good against the Redskins. He threw two picks and two more were dropped. Saying he was good is not fair at all. Does this mean he’s going to suck? No, absolutely not but when you you’re gloating non-stop and asking where everyone went when the guy plays well doesn’t mean you get to excuse it when he plays poorly. And I’m sorry, with the exception for he Bucs game, he has not played well. 

I didn’t have any doubts Jones was going to have rookie moments even after his spectacular debut. All the more so without Saquon, Engram, Sheppard going against the best rated defense in the league, on the road, in windy conditions. What quarterback would have success in that situation? It’s not an excuse, it’s called perspective. 

2019 was a throwaway season for the Giants, even though they have a shot at 5-5 before the bye week. The defense is young, rookie quarterbacks need to learn, and now they have a crap load of injuries. But this team has a bright future mostly because Daniel Jones has shown he has the goods. I know that in DC fans wish they can say the same about their rookie quarterback.

Edited by Gmen

8 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I didn’t have any doubts Jones was going to have rookie moments even after his spectacular debut. All the more so without Saquon, Engram, Sheppard going against the best rated defense in the league, on the road, in windy conditions. What quarterback would have success in that situation? It’s not an excuse, it’s called perspective. 

2019 was a throwaway season for the Giants, even though they have a shot at 5-5 before the bye week. The defense is young, rookie quarterbacks need to learn, and now they have a crap load of injuries. But this team has a bright future mostly because Daniel Jones has shown he has the goods. I know that in DC fans wish they can say the same about their rookie quarterback.

To be fair, they won’t even put our rookie QB on the field. The only time they did was in a terrible spot and he floundered as most of us expected him to do. We still have no idea if he’s going to be good or not but if he isn’t at least we’ll pick high enough to try again. That’s life in the NFL I suppose. 

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

Jones made some impressive throws. Just tough to consistently do it against a great defense with limited weapons.

He was definitely guilty of trying to play superman last night. He tried to do way too much. We were obviously overmatched, and he needed to throw the ball away way sooner than he did on multiple occasions. The one time, it resulted in an interception. He was also trying to thread too many throws into tight windows; sometimes he was close, actually more than I expected, and other times it looked really bad. 

I would have really liked to see how we would have fared with Barkley, Engram, and Shepard. I think it may have been an entirely different story. Ignoring the incredible talented defensive personnel the Patriots have, Belichick loves to take away your best weapon. Just about our only weapon was Golden Tate, and Bill certainly took him away. Slayton tried, but he was overmatched when being covered by Gilmore. 

Easily the worst Jones has played, and it was not a good game by him. That said, anyone taking this opportunity to rag on Gettleman or Jones, which I've seen a lot of, is stupid (cough Evan Silva). Considering all of the circumstances, the Giants fought hard and played decently well. They had no chance to win this game. Jones had no chance in putting up a good statline and sticking it to the Patriots. It is what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Not to pile on you because it seems like everyone already is but there is no way you can make that kind of statement at this point.

You like what you see early on but "great" is a massive reach.