Dave Gettleman and the Giants rebuild

Gmen

He’s a rookie.  They are supposed to struggle.   Not only did he benefit from a bad TAM secondary (and some god awful game management by HC Arians in trying to burn clock for an entire half, playing prevent D when reg D was getting Jones sacked and in trouble, and of course playing for the FG at the 7 with 20 secs left and 2 TO’s)  - but he also had very little pro speed film.    Teams with prep time have exploited his weaknesses.  

Today was a home game against an awful pass D.  With Barkley Tate & Engram back. But it wasn’t meant to be.   It happens.  

If anything though Jones’ recent struggles (and today vs. a bottom 5 pass D there just aren’t any excuses that cold water), it confirms that preseason success is meaningless in predicting early reg season success in rookie QB (or even 2nd year guys).    This was supported by history and Jones’ 2019 season is yet another example of avoiding crowning guys based on work done vs. 2nd / 3rd string D and vanilla schemes (where struggles are notable given the jump in speed / talent resulting in smaller windows).  

Nothing so far says Jones will fail yet.  It just means he’s got work to do.  But yes, we can probably hold on the Canton bust for the time being.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Jones has been one of the worst QBs in football since his first start against a pathetic Bucs pass defense 

I do love the extremes people go to regardless of which side they’re on. Can’t it just be he’s not near as good yet as his first game stats whilst same time not being as bad as the games since then? One of the worst QBs in football is nonsense and this is a guy who wasn’t a fan of the pick. He’s been a rookie. There’s no two ways about it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

It was raining hard and he had some big drops by Engram and Tate.  They didn’t seem to pay much attention to Chandler Jones either...  The 4th down decision to go for it causing another fumble was mind boggling.

The conditions were far less than ideal to be passing the ball, but with no running game in sight, the Giants had to try. 8 sacks, 19 hurries, dropped passes. He’s simply not getting help right now. We got Saquon and Engram back, and both promptly had the worst games games of their careers. I thought Jones played okay given the circumstances. He dropped Dimes all game long, unfortunately so did his receivers. He made several plays with his legs. But Jones certainly needs to take better care of the ball in the pocket. He takes keeping his eyes downfield to the extreme. In a game where your line is a turnstile, and the football is wet, you have to take a peak at the rushers. 

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I do love the extremes people go to regardless of which side they’re on. Can’t it just be he’s not near as good yet as his first game stats whilst same time not being as bad as the games since then? One of the worst QBs in football is nonsense and this is a guy who wasn’t a fan of the pick. He’s been a rookie. There’s no two ways about it. 

He’s been one of the worst QBs in football by any metric you want to use. So no.. it’s not “nonsense”. Kyler Murray is a rookie too

12 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

He’s been one of the worst QBs in football by any metric you want to use. So no.. it’s not “nonsense”. Kyler Murray is a rookie too

Kyler Murray passed for 105 yards yesterday. He was asked to do very little, and their running back scored 3 TDs of 20+ yards. They didn’t even let him throw on 3rd down in the second half. I don’t think he threw the ball more than 10 yards all game. Given the conditions, great gameplan and executed perfectly.

The Giants had no running game. Saquon went backwards multiple times (worst game of his career), and left Daniel Jones dropping back on 3rd and looong regularly. Daniel Jones had more bad plays than Murray, but he also had a lot more positive plays. 

6 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Did you actually watch the Giants game? Shouldn’t you have been watching the Redskins get shut out? 

Listen, I get it - you believe in Jones.  We know that.  And you're entitled to, no one has to agree.   Frankly, when ppl were crowning him, as you know I was skeptical - but on the flip side, I'm equally skeptical at the bust takes now that he's in his rookie year, and he's going through the usual struggles we see with rookies. 

But takes like above - they weaken the argument.  Take it FWIW as an AFC fan with literally nothing invested here with WAS/NYG.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

I thought Daniel Dimes was fine. The receivers had at least 4 drops. We wrecked their oline (part of it is his fault tho). And the rain was crazy in the 2nd half. I think we only passed 4x in the 2nd half. And it wasn't like we had the game sealed or anything. He had that one terrible throw where the Cards defenders had a choice of who was going to pick it besides was fine. 

22 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Did you actually watch the Giants game? Shouldn’t you have been watching the Redskins get shut out? 

I saw the last 4 minutes of the game when the Washington game ended and it changed over to the Giants game.  The Cardinals gave the ball back to the Giants down 4 with 4 minutes to go and Daniel Jones repeatedly got sacked and fumbled on snap after snap.  And before you blame it all on the Oline and WRs, he was hanging on to the ball way too long and doing nothing.  His pocket presence was abysmal.  

• Like 1