2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I have a hard time believing there's any truth to that.  Right there, that takes 2 of their 5 projected SPs for 2020 and jettisoning to Colorado.  Plus, they're giving up their projected starting LF (until we get some sort of resolution on Marcell Ozuna) plus a top 50 prospect?  Given the sheer amount of money due ($234M over 7 years, which comes out to $33.4M/year) and the uncertainty regarding that opt out after the 2021 season, and I don't see the Cardinals doing that deal.

The only way that deal makes any lick of sense for the Cards is if the Rockies are paying a big chunk of the salary. 

9 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The only way that deal makes any lick of sense for the Cards is if the Rockies are paying a big chunk of the salary. 

Agreed.  Isn't Levine a Chicago-based reporter?  I don't know how he would know anything about a STL-COL negotiation.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  Isn't Levine a Chicago-based reporter?  I don't know how he would know anything about a STL-COL negotiation.

And I agree with your agreement.

I honestly dont care other than I'd like any trade (should it happen) keeps him in the NL - so we dont have to mess with him.

20 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

We've said this before with Stanton; the only way these types of superstar on a mega contract for prospects deals make sense is if one team goes bananas or the team trading the superstar adds a big chunk of money to it.

I'll believe this deal is happening when the teams tweet it. Until then, yawn.

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We've said this before with Stanton; the only way these types of superstar on a mega contract for prospects deals make sense is if one team goes bananas or the team trading the superstar adds a big chunk of money to it.

I'll believe this deal is happening when the teams tweet it. Until then, yawn.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of deal could/would make sense?  I feel like Matt Carpenter has to go back to Colorado in some variation of a deal, unless they include Kolten Wong in the deal and move Marp to 2B.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of deal could/would make sense?  I feel like Matt Carpenter has to go back to Colorado in some variation of a deal, unless they include Kolten Wong in the deal and move Marp to 2B.

None. I'm not being difficult either, I think I said exactly this in the Stanton propose a trade thread that was out there when this happened.

Colorado isn't going to want to compromise in any way. Arenado is a super star and his contract is reasonable for how good he is, so at some level, I get where they're coming from if they respond "you want this stud AND you want me to pay you to take him!?".

But at the same time, there's not that much surplus value on his deal, so I get the Cardinals saying they aren't going to pay an $80MM surplus value price tag when Arenado isn't worth it.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

None. I'm not being difficult either, I think I said exactly this in the Stanton propose a trade thread that was out there when this happened.

Fair.  I wonder if the Rockies would have interest in Matt Carpenter?  And Dakota Hudson has been linked to the Rockies as part of the trade.  I can't imagine the Cardinals are interested in dealing any of their top 3 prospects (Dylan Carlson, Nolan Gorman, and Matt Liberatore).  Based on every comment from Mozeliak, they anticipate Dylan Carlson being an everyday player sometime this year.  The Cardinals had Liberatore go to their "meet and greets", so it seems unlikely they'd flip him but ask him to show up to that.  And I don't see how you flip Gorman but not Liberatore tbh.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Fair.  I wonder if the Rockies would have interest in Matt Carpenter?  And Dakota Hudson has been linked to the Rockies as part of the trade.  I can't imagine the Cardinals are interested in dealing any of their top 3 prospects (Dylan Carlson, Nolan Gorman, and Matt Liberatore).  Based on every comment from Mozeliak, they anticipate Dylan Carlson being an everyday player sometime this year.  The Cardinals had Liberatore go to their "meet and greets", so it seems unlikely they'd flip him but ask him to show up to that.  And I don't see how you flip Gorman but not Liberatore tbh.

If I'm the Rockies, there is no Matt Carpenter or Dexter Fowler coming back to offset salary. There's no "but what about this" or haggling or anything. I'm trading a superstar, you're getting 2 years out of him, so I want your 10 best prospects lined up, and I'll pick 3 of them, and then I'll take a wildcard or two. Otherwise, goodbye.

There's a reason the only other time a guy with this type of deal got traded it was because the team was borderline bankrupt.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If I'm the Rockies, there is no Matt Carpenter or Dexter Fowler coming back to offset salary. There's no "but what about this" or haggling or anything. I'm trading a superstar, you're getting 2 years out of him, so I want your 10 best prospects lined up, and I'll pick 3 of them, and then I'll take a wildcard or two. Otherwise, goodbye.

There's a reason the only other time a guy with this type of deal got traded it was because the team was borderline bankrupt.

And that's why I'm skeptical the Cardinals and Rockies will find a deal that works.  Rockies want full value for their superstar, and the Cardinals aren't paying a premium in terms of salary and prospects.

• Like 1