2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

15 hours ago, N4L said:

gross. 

disgusting actually imo

would be so livid if I was a sox fan. you don't trade one of the best all around players in baseball just to shed salary. 

that said, trading him is not the worst idea. still would be dumb though. Hes 27, not 31. big difference

You do if you want to re-sign him.

18 hours ago, Leader said:

If their pitching staff can get back to 2018 levels (yes/no/maybe....) I think they have a roster that can compete / get into the playoffs. 2019 was a year with compounding negative issues.

Sounds like their new CEO (Bloom) has a mandate to pare down $$$ while remaining competitive and Betts would be a big piece to move. We'll see.

Theres a reason a couple of TBRays executives are running things in LA and BOS. Talent evaluation & development at a good price with an elevated budget.

Pretty remote chance of that happening. Price is done. Eovaldi is a never was. That's almost 50 million against the tax for their 4/5 starters.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 1:48 PM, Leader said:

Red Sox, Mookie Betts avoid arbitration with a 1-year, $27 million deal, breaking Nolan Arenado's record of $26 million in 2019.

Wow where on earth did the Red Sox afford that kind of cash. Oh that's right. They are the Red Sox and show up on ESPN 140 times a year so money isn't an issue with them.

8 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I don't like that package at all for Arenado. Liberatore is legit but I'm not sold on long term impacts of Hudson/CMart and O'Neill

I would think for sure Nolan Gorman would be a prospect going

I would laugh and hang up the phone if I were the Rockies. 4th outfielder, reliever with injury history, a 4/5 starter, and a top prospect that was given away by the Rays.

4 hours ago, devils1854 said:

I would laugh and hang up the phone if I were the Rockies. 4th outfielder, reliever with injury history, a 4/5 starter, and a top prospect that was given away by the Rays.

Depends how bad COL wants/needs to get out from under that contract. Do they have somebody coming up positionally? Dont know. Based on individual talent, you dont trade Arenado. 

8 hours ago, Leader said:

Depends how bad COL wants/needs to get out from under that contract. Do they have somebody coming up positionally? Dont know. Based on individual talent, you dont trade Arenado. 

Do they have someone coming? Depends on how they feel about Brendan Rodgers, who has been a top prospect for about four years now, but hasnt really taken the next step. He might be better suited for second anyway.

It really depends on how much money the Rockies eat. If they dont eat anything, then that 4 for 1 package probably would suffice, but if the Rockies send back an impactful amount of money, they need to get Gorman in the package along with Liberatore.

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

It really depends on how much money the Rockies eat. If they dont eat anything, then that 4 for 1 package probably would suffice, but if the Rockies send back an impactful amount of money, they need to get Gorman in the package along with Liberatore.

I have a hard time believing there's any truth to that.  Right there, that takes 2 of their 5 projected SPs for 2020 and jettisoning to Colorado.  Plus, they're giving up their projected starting LF (until we get some sort of resolution on Marcell Ozuna) plus a top 50 prospect?  Given the sheer amount of money due ($234M over 7 years, which comes out to $33.4M/year) and the uncertainty regarding that opt out after the 2021 season, and I don't see the Cardinals doing that deal.