2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

27 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Strikes work precisely because labor is so valuable. Shutting down games would be catastrophic, if the PA didn't leverage that they're the worst union in history (which, you know... arguable).

The NFLPA exists.

The whole thing is ruthlessness for the sake of ruthlessness, when you look at the NBA for comparison. Owners and players don't have to be at each other's throats to get paid.

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Baseball is a $10B/year business. Work stoppage threatens that; it's a huge piece of leverage.

No doubt, but my point more so was that it's all they have b/c the last deal they agreed to was so terrible...

Usually you wanna save a work stoppage threat as your last resort b/c it not only hurts the owners pocket books, but aside from the upper echelon of MLB talent that can sit on their cash, the other 70% of players can't afford a long stoppage. Even with the union payouts/disbursement during...

Usually in these things, both sides have some wiggle...

21 hours ago, Slateman said:

It just dawned on me. Dusty Baker will be managing the AL team in the ASG against the manager who replaced him ....

In Dodger stadium as a former Dodger player managing for the team that cheated them in the WS. As much as Dusty is loved in AL the boo birds will be out.

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Baseball is a $10B/year business. Work stoppage threatens that; it's a huge piece of leverage.

And a work stoppage would hurt a larger percentage of the players who aren't billionaires than it will the owners. It hurts both for certain but there are more players that aren't set up to withstand a work stoppage than owners. 

Overheard on MLBN that there were two teams that recently *didnt* use the two week period to get an extra contractual year on one of their players.

One I caught in detail - San Diego on Fernando Tatis - the other team/player - I didnt catch.

They never explained SD's reasoning for not keeping Tatis in the minors for that two week period - but perhaps its not a tool used as often as I thought it probably would be.

47 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

And a work stoppage would hurt a larger percentage of the players who aren't billionaires than it will the owners. It hurts both for certain but there are more players that aren't set up to withstand a work stoppage than owners. 

Depends on the owner. Hal Steinbrenner owns the Yankees outright, so yeah he's fine. But the Dodgers' ownership group is super leveraged, and that's a theme with a lot of the new ownership trusts that you see. They aren't going to be okay sitting out a season.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

Overheard on MLBN that there were two teams that recently *didnt* use the two week period to get an extra contractual year on one of their players.

One I caught in detail - San Diego on Fernando Tatis - the other team/player - I didnt catch.

They never explained SD's reasoning for not keeping Tatis in the minors for that two week period - but perhaps its not a tool used as often as I thought it probably would be.

Eloy Jiminez, but he agreed to a contract before the promotion so he doesn't really count. 

San Diego's reasoning was straightforward: it was the ethical thing to do.

18 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Depends on the owner. Hal Steinbrenner owns the Yankees outright, so yeah he's fine. But the Dodgers' ownership group is super leveraged, and that's a theme with a lot of the new ownership trusts that you see. They aren't going to be okay sitting out a season.

They also own several banks, hedge funds and insurance companies and are worth about $300 billion. I get that owners will have issued. But is the bottom half of a 40 man roster or the players in the lower minors going to be fine missing paychecks for a year? Six months? A stoppage hurts everybody and is a last resort when they can’t come to an agreement. It’s the nuclear option talked about but is a terrible bargaining chip for both sides.

Just now, NVRamsFan said:

They also own several banks, hedge funds and insurance companies and are worth about $300 billion. I get that owners will have issued. But is the bottom half of a 40 man roster or the players in the lower minors going to be fine missing paychecks for a year? Six months? A stoppage hurts everybody and is a last resort when they can’t come to an agreement. It’s the nuclear option talked about but is a terrible bargaining chip for both sides.

It's mutually assured destruction to go through with it for a prolonged stoppage, but it's going to force the owners to consider a less owner friendly CBA. It makes all of the CBA's where the owners make less than they do now, but still make a ton seem like appealing options.

didnt think this need a topic on its own but  Curtis Granderson retired

Curtis Granderson has announced his retirement from baseball.

Granderson played 16 seasons for seven different clubs, finishing with a .249/.337/.465 batting line, 344 home runs and an even 1,800 hits. The outfielder made three All-Star teams and finished in the top-10 in MVP voting twice. Granderson will turn 39 in March.

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/17939/curtis-granderson

• Like 2