2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

Alex Speier of the Boston Globe hears a decision on a trade of Mookie Betts may come in the next few days.

"A resolution regarding the fate of Mookie Betts may be nearing," Speier said, citing sources familiar with negotiations who believe talks could culminate this week. The Padres and Dodgers are the two teams believed to be in the heaviest on the 27-year-old outfielder. Of course, there's always a chance the Sox choose to keep Betts heading into his final year of team control, but things have increasingly been trending toward the club dealing the 2018 AL MVP. It will be interesting to see what the team decides -- and who's involved in a potential deal -- in the coming days.

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/teams/bos/boston-red-sox

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2020/02/02/red-sox-nearing-decision-mookie-betts/Nqf6hjjVn1SuDUoD0LQ3pM/story.html

The Dodgers are stacked beyond comprehension.  If Seager gets back 100% it’s like adding a superstar player plus every projected lineup guy is .800+ OPS...  Kershaw is still a really good #2 while Buehler/May have ace potential and make peanuts.  Watch them get to offload Pollock by taking Price.. 🙄

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm stuck between "that return isn't that bad" and "the Red Sox are ******* idiots for trading Mookie Betts".

Does that mean fair trade? 

I've actually come around to trading Betts is the right thing to do. But that is only because I think their pitching is so weak they aren't going to compete anyway and he is going to hit FA anyway.

15 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm stuck between "that return isn't that bad" and "the Red Sox are ******* idiots for trading Mookie Betts".

Have you ever seen a couple and said "They deserve each other" AND "Somehow, they each could do better"?

That's how I feel.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think it probably does.  Weird.

12 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Hello, what kind of package would you want from the Braves for Bryant?

What do I want, or what would be a reasonable package?  Because I have this weird stance that a cash cow like the Cubs should be able to pay a homegrown superstar whatever the eff he needs to stick around long term.  As such, I would want a ridiculous package to move Bryant.  But I'm guessing the FO would move Bryant for a package of Fried or Anderson / Waters / Wright or Wilson or Muller.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Have you ever seen a couple and said "They deserve each other" AND "Somehow, they each could do better"?

That's how I feel.

I like this analogy.

23 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How are they idiots if he refuses to sign an extension? 

This has nothing to do with the mandate to get under the luxury tax threshold or rumors that Sox ownership is being cheap. That’s BS. It’s the fact that Betts refuses to sign any extension and is dead set on testing free agency. With that, the Red Sox have to move him; instead of letting him walk for practically nothing. 

Verdugo would be a great get.