Is the Patriots defense for real?

Cheesehawk

Is the Patriots defense for real?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Patriots defense for real?

• Yes
    • No

23 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

That cover ability looks impressive when the best 3 WRs you've seen is Devante Parker, Terry McLaurin, and Robby Anderson.. Shame on me, forgot JuJu.. by far the best they have faced.

And the best QB they faced was Big Ben or Allen (well, until he was knocked out). I don't think anyone sees Fitz, Falk, Barkley, or McCoy as passing threats. I'd go even farther that if a defense were to shut out any of those QBs, no one here would be exclaiming that the opposing defense was a historic defense. The stats say elite defense, but reality is they've lucked out with injuries and ended up playing some of the worst offenses in the league. The Jets, Giants, Dolphins and Bills all have similar offensive performances against lesser defenses. Lucky still, they won't see anyone all that opposing until Week 11 when they face Wentz.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Do you actually mean team or just D? Because this is a bit of a hobbled offense at this stage, with no identity. 

Team. When it comes to New England I'm not super interested in stats, analytics, or even common sense. All I know for sure is that picking them to lose any given week is a real bad idea, and this year that looks especially true. But maybe I'm overreacting and we'll get a better sense of this team when we see them play KC/Bal/Phi/Dal.

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

We shut Hill down with a slightly inferior defense. This is a D that shut down the Rams O (minus Kupp) which has only improved. 

We had some astonishing performances in the post season on defense, and it seems like we've only improved. But we'll see.

You shut down Hill but got killed by Watkins and allowed 295 passing yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs. Yeah, just saying that you shut down Hill is misleading in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

Whatever makes you feel better about not playing anyone so far. 

this is what I was thinking, they need to play some legit teams. Good they are but how good we will learn as the season goes on when they play a few legit teams. I expect BB to keep the defence top notch,  but the season is long  so wait and see.