Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

I refuse to speak ill of Chryst. I certainly have some issues, but the guy came into a relatively bare cupboard after GA's tenure, lost his defensive coordinator after one season, and just had us 50 yards away from making the CFP. I'd like to have seen us give Coan a look, but he's certainly not the first coach to ride with a sub-par QB because the team is winning. I'm optimistic about the future of this program. And Chryst has a lot to do with that. We've had four (?) defensive coordinators and three head coaches in the last six years. The stability of the Chryst/Leonhard combo should help quite a bit long-term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

I refuse to speak ill of Chryst. I certainly have some issues, but the guy came into a relatively bare cupboard after GA's tenure, lost his defensive coordinator after one season, and just had us 50 yards away from making the CFP. I'd like to have seen us give Coan a look, but he's certainly not the first coach to ride with a sub-par QB because the team is winning. I'm optimistic about the future of this program. And Chryst has a lot to do with that. We've had four (?) defensive coordinators and three head coaches in the last five years. The stability of the Chryst/Leonhard combo should help quite a bit long-term.

Same. At the end of the day he is an incredible 33-7 thus far during his tenure, with all but 1 of the losses (Bama) coming by 1 score. I am fairly confident Hornibrook really was our best option, unfortunately, plus PC is not about to make the change during the streak, it could divide the locker room. PC's playcalling doesn't really bother me, he knew OSU wouldn't let us run tonight unless we started making them pay through the air, and he was right. The OL was dominated tonight, running JT would have been futile.

I'm really not a fan of his recruiting thus far, but that's probably our athletic department's fault more than anything, although PC does seem like a coach content to mainly recruit locally and only get guys who really want to be here with no ego. In his defense, the class he brought in this season has been excellent thus far. I just would like to build a pipeline in some fertile recruiting grounds. I watched as a single recruiter at a hopeless Kentucky program started up a pipeline in Ohio, apparently too competitive for us to really stick our teeth in, which now is good for some 4 stars every cycle for them.

Well props to the guys for not going full Miami and rolling over after going down 21-7 and getting killed.

Hornibrook and the OL the scapegoats of that game. As long as that game is played at the comfortable confines of Lucas Oil Field and not out in B1G elements in Soldier Field, Lambeau, Heinz Field, etc... I will never like our odds again. That's a fast track and I'm shocked it was a 1 score game after just how blatantly outmatched athletically we were from the start. Only way to neutralize that is to play out in the winter elements like we do all year.

Agree with others that switching QB's when the team is on a 15+ game win streak is a tough thing to do.  Really hope the backup QB's get a shot to compete for QB1 in 2018.  

I felt the play last night was to use more spread and less 2TE sets.  The 2 TE sets allowed OSU to stack 8-9 in the box and did not do any favors in opening lanes.  Cephus being out was a bigger loss than most will recognize.  He was really coming on and becoming a go to asset on the outside.  

11 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Looks like Miami plays you guys in the Orange Bowl. Doubt we win but hoping for a closer game than the Clemson game.

I'm usually a huge pessimist about Miami, but I think it's a good matchup. It's strength on strength--trench warfare between Wisconsin's OL and Miami's front 7. 

I like Miami in this one, but Wisconsin is so gritty that it's going to be a close game even if the athletes favor Miami. Wisconsin's play style doesn't allow them to get destroyed by anyone. All the scores are relatively close, even if they're significantly better or worse than their opponents.

Should be a good one. My prediction:

Miami-24

Wisconsin-17

btw, is Hornibrook really that bad? I watched about 80% of the Wisconsin/OSU game and he didn't seem atrocious. The final drive was a little bleh but other than that I thought he looked pretty good all season long. When Wisconsin can't run the ball, they're in for a LLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG day, regardless of who is at QB.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

When Wisconsin can't run the ball, they're in for a LLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG day, regardless of who is at QB.

The thing is though, this shouldn't be the case. In some years? Sure. This year's receiving group was one of the more talented we've had in a long time. Add in an NFL caliber tight end and a a lot of man coverage and stacked boxes and it shouldn't equal 15 interceptions. 

His arm strength actively holds the entire team back. Chryst wants to use the run to set up PA shot plays, but it doesn't work when your QB struggles to throw anything accurately to either sideline or anything beyond 15 yards.

If Horni can step into his throw, he can deliver some NFL throws, both in terms of velocity and accuracy. That's about the only good thing I can say about him. His game sense has developed as well, which is good to see. However, you are nothing without an adequate arm, and he really just doesn't have it. If you can't deliver 15 yard passes unless you have a clean pocket to step into, you are a hindrance. Even ignoring the arm itself, what we need is a game manager. Horni is really a gunslinger in the mold of a Brett Favre, only one problem, instead of a howitzer he is dealing with a pistol. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

If Horni can step into his throw, he can deliver some NFL throws, both in terms of velocity and accuracy. That's about the only good thing I can say about him. His game sense has developed as well, which is good to see. However, you are nothing without an adequate arm, and he really just doesn't have it. If you can't deliver 15 yard passes unless you have a clean pocket to step into, you are a hindrance. Even ignoring the arm itself, what we need is a game manager. Horni is really a gunslinger in the mold of a Brett Favre, only one problem, instead of a howitzer he is dealing with a pistol. 

You can tell his general athleticism just isn't very good. Combined with his poor arm strength, his feet are really quite poor. He lacks any real escapability, which can be fine if you can maneuver within the pocket well, but he also really struggles to alter his launch point. The Badger OL lacks elite players it has often had, particularly at the end of the Bielema years, so some ability to escape or manipulate pressure is a pre-requisite to success.