How To Fix A Broken Offense......

soulman

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

He said he would never admit if he wasn't, so there's no point in dissecting this.

Actually if he learns to adjust his game calling and help Mitch grow then we have nothing to talk about. Until that happens any part of Nagy's coaching issues are fair game.

That's my point. You both missed the sarcasm. I know the answer is "ego" but who gives a **** who calls the play calls? If the goal is to win games and it's because Helfrich was handed the reigns, stop being a p**** and admit who's dialing up the plays and be happy for the outcome, assuming it's positive.

So after somewhat calming down I went back and re-watched this **** show. I'm clearly not as down on Trubisky as, well, the majority of the Chicago Bears fan base. He has a lot he need to clean up, I still think his processor is sped up and he is almost refusing to leave the pocket when the opportunities are there. To me, I think he's trying too hard to be a pocket passer and we are seeing some hints of that.

Still... for all this red-zone bull**** we had to endure Sunday afternoon, I thought there were plays to be made that simply weren't done. Adam Shaheen, for example, completely WHIFFED on trying to catch the ball in the back left quadrant of the endzone. I mean, the ball was there and he literally whiffed on trying to make any contact/attempt to catch the ball. It's pathetic.

Some of these playcalls are just smoke and mirrors. Why do a fake toss to Cohen and then try to run HB slam to Montgomery on the same side? What is the point of that? Trying to get linebackers to overcommit and hope that your front can stop any penetration? Guess what... didn't work.

Eddy Pinerio didn't do himself any favors either. I don't care who you are, a 41 yard field goal has been hit at an 84.3% clip over the past 5 seasons. Is that a chip-shot? I suppose not, but there's no excuse for missing that kick. People can huff and puff about Nagy not running the ball there or throwing it -- I understood the logic. I don't necessarily LIKE the logic, but this is what aggressive coaches have to do when their offense is playing like ****. They self-neuter themselves.

I think what I am seeing this season, really, is that we are not getting the same luck that we did last season. It seems like almost every bounce (*cough* Parkey *cough) went our way last year, while this year it's the opposite (save for Pinerio in Denver). I don't know if it's just our fate this year or what, but I still see glimpses of a good team... however fleeting. I don't want to expect the worst but hope for the best... but God damn, these cocksuckers need to show me something more before they get my full confidence.

• Like 1

His misses are horrific.

His turnovers are horrific.

He was better yesterday, but the bar is so low that I am not celebrating finally hitting Miller in the seam.

Yesterday was better, but still woefully below what we should demand from the 2nd pick in the draft.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Yesterday was better, but still woefully below what we should demand from the 2nd pick in the draft.

Agreed. But it's like I've been saying, I need to see steps and I'm of the opinion I saw a little bit yesterday.

NOWHERE near where he should be or where I want him to be, however.

6 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

He was one step above total disaster. The only potential that indicates is the potential to hold a clipboard on the sidelines.

I've been a big Mitch supporter throughout but he was not very good against LA.  Missed a TD and two egregious turnovers that cost his team essentially.  If that performance the other day was taking a step to some people then we need to have a talk.

Just now, topwop1 said:

I've been a big Mitch supporter throughout but he was not very good against LA.  Missed a TD and two egregious turnovers that cost his team essentially.  If that performance the other day was taking a step to some people then we need to have a talk.

You saw him complete passes down the field whereas in the past he would refuse to even attempt those or miss by 7-10 yards.

There were steps, however minimal, whether fans want to admit it or not.

Again, he has a LONG way to go, but he hit some throws that he was not hitting whatsoever this season. Baby steps, now take another one next week. We were in position to win and we blew the 41 yard kick. It sucks, it hurts, I hate it more than I can describe, but what else can we do?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

The problem is we are grading him against himself, which makes that performance actually not bad. When we grade him against his peers it's terrible. 

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

You saw him complete passes down the field whereas in the past he would refuse to even attempt those or miss by 7-10 yards.

Again, he has a LONG way to go, but he hit some throws that he was not hitting whatsoever this season. Baby steps, now take another one next week. We were in position to win and we blew the 41 yard kick. It sucks, it hurts, I hate it more than I can describe, but what else can we do?

Nothing.  You have to roll with him and see if he gets better.  That's all they can do and what they have to do.

I don't care about the few passes he completes downfield.  That's expected.  It's the ones he misses that are killer. There's been way more misses than hits in his first 3 years.

It's not even about making the proper read now it's simply about execution. You have the guy beat and the WR wide open.  Make the damn throw. It's infuriating. 

8 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

The problem is we are grading him against himself, which makes that performance actually not bad. When we grade him against his peers it's terrible. 

Not if we compare him to Mayfield it isn't. lol

I hate that guy so much.

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

Those are steps towards not being horrendous.

How long and how many baby steps until he becomes even average?

It isn't happening. If we are being honest he is really bad and if we are celebrating making a couple of NFL level throws in a game where he killed them in the 4th quarter our bar is too low.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Those are steps towards not being horrendous.

How long and how many baby steps until he becomes even average?

It isn't happening. If we are being honest he is really bad and if we are celebrating making a couple of NFL level throws in a game where he killed them in the 4th quarter our bar is too low.

Even with all of that he still put the team in position to win the game, Windy. You can't deny that part of the equation.

He can't control Shaheen sucking donkey **** and not even getting his hands on a football that was thrown in his wheel-house, he can't control shoddy line-play in the red zone / poor play calling by the head coach. He CAN control airmailing Taylor Gabriel yet again and that is the next step I need to see him take. He hit other throws today (Gabirel, Robinson, Burton) that were impressive, stack those.

Edited by G08

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

Even with all of that he still put the team in position to win the game, Windy. You can't deny that part of the equation.

He can't control Shaheen sucking donkey **** and not even getting his hands on a football that was thrown in his wheel-house, he can't control shoddy line-play in the red zone / poor play calling by the head coach. He CAN control airmailing Taylor Gabriel yet again and that is the next step I need to see him take. He hit other throws today (Gabirel, Robinson, Burton) that were impressive, stack those.

He can also control not fumbling off his own leg and giving the Chargers prime field position for the go ahead TD.  He just seems really panicky and not too confident.  I'm not sure if he'll ever calm down.  To me it seems like he is letting the pressure get to him and he doesn't know how to deal with it.

I really believe that in order to be a good NFL QB you have to be able to thrive in high pressure situations and from what I've seen from Mitch so far it's not looking good.  Fans and media are turning on him and soon enough players will too if this play keeps up.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, G08 said:

What about sidearming a throw to Shaheen on the goal line and throwing a pass 3 yards behind Robinson on a slant on the goal line?