WEEK 9 · Sun 11/03 · 4:25 Broncos

sonny44

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The Browns lose 21 to 10 AT Mile High.

They commit double digit penalties.

They turn the ball over 3+ times.

Offensive woes and frustration continues until I'm proven otherwise.

Trying to overtake scrabble for most pessimistic, eh? ;) 

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

Trying to overtake scrabble for most pessimistic, eh? ;) 

There are a lot of contenders for that throne.

We obviously aren't where we wanted to be, I wanted to be at least 4-3 right now for a good chance to finish 11-5. Now we're looking at 9-7 which may not get it done. We certainly failed the test of how we would do against playoff teams so if we do make the playoffs we need to gain a lot of confidence over the final 9 games and honestly we will if we reach the playoffs.

We still have to show up each week and put forth a good effort which hasn't always happened but getting to 7-7 would be okay even though it would be a bit of a disappointment, then if we can take Bal at home there is a good chance we go 9-7 and see what happens.

Or we could run the table and still get to 11-5, I wouldn't be extremely shocked.

Edited by Thomas5737

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

We obviously aren't where we wanted to be, I wanted to be at least 4-3 right now for a good chance to finish 11-5. Now we're looking at 9-7 which may not get it done. We certainly failed the test of how we would do against playoff teams so if we do make the playoffs we need to gain a lot of confidence over the final 9 games and honestly we will if we reach the playoffs.

We still have to show up each week and put forth a good effort which hasn't always happened but getting to 7-7 would be okay even though it would be a bit of a disappointment, then if we can take Bal at home there is a good chance we go 9-7 and see what happens.

Or we could run the table and still get to 11-5, I honestly wouldn't be extremely shocked.

On paper we certainly have the talent to beat any of the teams left on our schedule, but that absolutely won't happen if we continue to make the same mistakes that we've made all season.

That Seattle game very well could come back to bite us. They're a good team, but we easily could have won that game in convincing fashion but we couldn't get out of our own way. Being 3-4 right now while entering the easier part of our schedule would make me feel a lot better than being 2-5.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

No lie there.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Or we could run the table and still get to 11-5, I wouldn't be extremely shocked.

I get your point, and on paper I could see why you’d say that, but my jaw would be on the floor if we ran the table.

Pick your reason, this team just isn’t playing good football and the sample size is large enough to be more than a bit concerned.  We simply aren’t that good nor are we ready to compete with the big boys.

That said, maybe we shouldn’t be so surprised by that.  

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

If they lose to Denver, I don’t see how there isn’t widespread panic and some sort of change made. My guess is that it would happen on the offensive side of the ball. Someone would be held accountable for that. 

I think they get on track against a bad team this week though. Joe Flacco is horrendous at this stage. If they can even remotely limit the mistakes, they should be fine. Run the offense through Nick Chubb. 

Broncos arnt nearly as bad as their record says (sort of). They have lost 3 games on last second FGs after leading in the 4th with under 1 min left. They have caught some tough breaks similar to the Browns but they could easily be 5-3 or 4-4 right now with better FG kicking luck.

They are not great because they are unable to score over 24 points in a game with their limited offense but that defense is extremely legit and is probably the 3rd best in the NFL behind the Pats/49ers. I think they allow the fewest yards to WRs of any team in the league so it's going to be more uphill battles for OBJ/Landry.

They are basically a poor version of the 49ers where the entire goal is to play great defense and ball control offense with a heavy dose of run game. If the Browns can stop Lindsay/Freeman then they should win but if the Browns run defense doesn't show up again then it could make for a very frustrating game.

7 minutes ago, DawgX said:

So I'm hearing Joe Flacco is ruled out for this week's game. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, tbh.

As somebody who has watched all of their games. This helps Denver. Flacco literally has the Broncos running half of their playbook because he can't throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield and he is physically unable to move in the pocket.

Brandon Allen is at least mobile and shouldn't be too hard for him to break the 150 passing yards a game standard that Flacco sets every week.

At worst this is a lateral move for them

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Baker isn’t playing good enough football right now for us to run the table. He’s not as bad as his stats indicate, but the passing game has been an epic fail this season. 

Brady had a lot more errant passes in that game than Mayfield. That shovel pass was a fail on someone's part and the play where OBJ's guy should have picked him was a bad route by OBJ or a bad play design to have a second defender still that close on Landry's out but the pass was good.

There is no such thing as always being perfect. Yes, Mayfield needs to use his helmet better to fool safetys but until the line is fixed he can't actually look guys off because there won't be time he just needs pretend like he is looking the other direction I don't think it would be wise to commit. 

37 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Brady had a lot more errant passes in that game than Mayfield. That shovel pass was a fail on someone's part and the play where OBJ's guy should have picked him was a bad route by OBJ or a bad play design to have a second defender still that close on Landry's out but the pass was good.

There is no such thing as always being perfect. Yes, Mayfield needs to use his helmet better to fool safetys but until the line is fixed he can't actually look guys off because there won't be time he just needs pretend like he is looking the other direction I don't think it would be wise to commit. 

I’m not even looking as much at yesterday. The difference is that Brady has like six games of pretty decent tape this year. I think it’s pretty clear to most of us that he has taken a step back this season. He is capable of better, accuracy included. I’m hopeful that the best is to come for him this season and we get a lot more wins as a result. 

Edited by NateDawg

47 minutes ago, brownie man said:

We’ll win this one 

the schedule does open up. Every game is definitely winnable. 

if we come out clean and polished we can do in every game from here on

I mean, that's the problem. We've been sloppy in every game with the exception of the Baltimore game. We should win on Sunday, but I think it's far from a guarantee.