FF Midseason Check-Up

RandyMossIsBoss

Midseason Check-Up  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with your OL?

2. 2. Are you satisfied with your OC?

3. 3. Are you satisfied with your DC?

dean pees continues to be very good. some annoying tendencies, but by and large can't complain about the job he's done.

arthur smith is the worst offensive coordinator in recent titans history, which is truly incredible when you consider how horrific our offensive coordinators have been for the past decade plus. mariota was bad and benching him was the correct decision, but based on what we're seeing i find it difficult to believe that any QB could see sustained success in this offense. playcalling is abysmal, personnel usage is nonsensical, and offensive line coaching is horrible. it's just an absolute mess that is awful in every respect. what makes it harder to swallow is that this is the most talent we've had on offense in years, but we're coming out in 3 tight end sets half the time instead of actually getting the ball to our young, playmaking WRs. it's unbelievably difficult to watch week after week. he needs to be fired yesterday.

I said yes, yes, neutral.

The OL is kind of a tough one to say, because we've had injuries. I think the core and permanent pieces, I'm satisfied enough with (LDT, Schwartz), and I think we've seen some of the newer additions or backup players start to improve (Rankin, Reiter.) So when the crew is healthy, and we hopefully have Fisher, Rankin, Reiter, LDT, and Schwartz, I think I'll be pleased. It's just hard to say with the rotating pieces we have. But it's stayed afloat, considering.

With OC, sometimes I don't agree with the particulars of our RB rotation, but in general, the duo of Eric Bieniemy and Andy Reid do excellent work. Tonight was a major demonstration of what they can do with all the weapons in play, even without a healthy Mahomes.

DC is kind of TBD. Spags was off to a horrendous start, through the first 6 games, but he has taken things in a different and far more productive direction these past two weeks, and I think we've seen huge improvements from the front 7. Spags got figured out a little bit by the Packers with the Aaron Jones bit, but I've seen enough good these past two weeks to put him in the neutral, not unhappy, category. It could definitely trend either way from here on out though.

Packers fan.  1 yes, 2 almosts.

Oline - yes.  Pretty healthy, Bulaga(RT) went out today with a finger injury.  This is his yearly injury nothing new, although he has been very good.  LT is good, not as great as he has been in the past but still good.  Elgton Jenkins(LG) looks like a find, 44th pick in the draft was inserted into the starting lineup.  Has some pass pro recognition issues but he's going to be a starter for a long time.  Huge upgrade from last year at Guard.

OC - almost.  A lot of time spent on calling plays,  Aaron rodgers has to wait too long to get the play call, many times breaking the huddle with 10 seconds or less.  This leaves less time for checks and everything else a veteran QB likes to do at the LOS.  At one point in the Chiefs game it looked like he was looking at the sideline to make the call already and looked extremely angry.  This has happened a lot this year, more than I can remember in Rodgers career.

DC - almost.  Lots of players for him to play around with.  6'3 corner with 4.4 speed, 5'11 corner with 4.3 speed, 2 decent safeties lots of ways to match up opposing team receiving threats.  They seem to have a gameplan and go with it, not changing much throughout.  LB is a weak spot on this team and I'm not sure if the DC can hide this vs the run.

22 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

dean pees continues to be very good. some annoying tendencies, but by and large can't complain about the job he's done.

arthur smith is the worst offensive coordinator in recent titans history, which is truly incredible when you consider how horrific our offensive coordinators have been for the past decade plus. mariota was bad and benching him was the correct decision, but based on what we're seeing i find it difficult to believe that any QB could see sustained success in this offense. playcalling is abysmal, personnel usage is nonsensical, and offensive line coaching is horrible. it's just an absolute mess that is awful in every respect. what makes it harder to swallow is that this is the most talent we've had on offense in years, but we're coming out in 3 tight end sets half the time instead of actually getting the ball to our young, playmaking WRs. it's unbelievably difficult to watch week after week. he needs to be fired yesterday.

Is it mostly a OC issue in your opinion, can it be corrected.  I see 2 WR's that seem like most OC's would love to play around with or is C. Davis a lost cause?  Even Jonnu Smith showed up today as a replacement starter.

Yes to all 3. Most happy with our DC.

OL was super shaky the first 4 games. Specifically at both guard positions. They’re been clicking much better since then.

Pete Carmichael is fine I guess. Hard to know how much credit to give him rather than Payton.

Dennis Allen is making great calls and has his guys playing fast and mean. This is the best defense Brees has had backing him up since he became a Saint.

For Eagles fans, OL probably depends on expectations to a degree? No doubt at least an average unit, probably top 10 (hard to pin down for sure when it's not like I really pay attention to many other OLs, only ones with really good or really bad reps). I went w/ neutral. Run blocking has overall been very good, pass pro has been a bit shaky, probably average. For a unit that was expected to contend for best OL in the league it's obviously a bit disappointing, but still a good OL all things considered. I went neutral for now.

OC will be a unanimous no from all Eagles fans. It's no secret the offense hasn't touched the levels that the 2017 offense reached, and many pin that on the OC change from Reich to Groh. Groh didn't have a good track record coming in, and has done nothing to suggest his is a good OC. Pederson has his hands all over the offense as well, so it's not like we're pinning all the blame on Groh for the offense's struggles, it's just clearly either Groh or Pederson need help, and we're obviously not choosing Groh over Pederson.

DC might be a bit more split, on FF most fans seem to be a no, and it's a no from me as well. Some will still support Schwartz for his track record with us alone, top 5 defenses (per DVOA) in 2016 & 2017, and point to the lack of talent and injuries for the defense's struggles, but I am not satisfied with Schwartz because he simply does not seem to adjust. Even when it is blatantly clear the conventional 4 man rush to get pressure and CBs in zone is not working, he sticks with it.

39 minutes ago, waterfish_21 said:

Is it mostly a OC issue in your opinion, can it be corrected.  I see 2 WR's that seem like most OC's would love to play around with or is C. Davis a lost cause?  Even Jonnu Smith showed up today as a replacement starter.

corey davis is a good receiver who we attempt to throw to maybe two or three times a game because we’re too busy running our 3rd string tight end out there. i wish i was joking. aj brown has been really good as a rookie, and jonnu smith has been steadily improving these past two years and at this point it’s not surprising that he had a breakout game today. we obviously could use some better personnel on the interior OL and QB is still not great, but even with tannehill this offense could be so much better than it is if we just actually used our personnel right and didn’t call runs on first down like 65% of the time. it’s insane to watch. defenses know exactly what we’re going to do almost all the time. 

49ers

Oline is on its 4th and 5th tackles, and while the offense is limited because of it, they are doing okay. Once the line is fully healthy, I don't have many concerns there. 

Our OC is our HC, so definitely yeah. Part of the reason the line has held up is his game planning and play calling. 

DC, yes. The team has been fantastic defensively. Saleh had taken to work with and has made it work extremely well