Aaron Jones

Golfman

43 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What's your definition of elite? Top 3? I don't think he's there

There is 0 chance he is better than Caff, Cook and Barkley. I would take Kamara over him, but with how this year has gone the list might end there.

Zeke has not been as good as previous years, I would have had Mixon ahead before this year, Melvin Gordon is meh, Chubb is close, same with Marlon Mack. Lev Bell has dropped. 

16 minutes ago, SSG said:

Certainly nothing you can substantiate.  There aren't many 15+ TD RBs who are not only your leading rusher but your leading receiver.  This is almost historic production from a Packer RB.  Not only have you not seen it, you certainly haven't seen it replaced.  To say it's the easiest thing in the NFL to replace is absolutely ridiculous.  

That's as much scheme and opportunity as Aaron Jones individual talent. The Packers are using rb as part of the down field passing pattern including the FB. He's doing a good job with his opportunities but the volume of them is based on scheme. When Williams is in he does similar things. I think Aaron Jones is a good RB but I still wouldn't pay him top dollar. He's not on that level no matter what the stat line says.

43 minutes ago, spilltray said:

As a position, RB is the most easily replaceable part.

I don't disagree with this necessarily, but I don't get as into as some do. I actually think it's gotten a little exaggerated these days.

That doesn't mean I wanna pay him 10 million

Edited by Norm

Shanahan senior + Alex Gibbs as ZBS guru would just plug and play the RBs in Denver and they all did quite well
Shanahan Jr has taken a different approach and has spent on RBs to run his offense in SF
McVay paid Gurley top $$

So both of MLF's mentors spent on RBs

31 minutes ago, spilltray said:

That's as much scheme and opportunity as Aaron Jones individual talent. The Packers are using rb as part of the down field passing pattern including the FB. He's doing a good job with his opportunities but the volume of them is based on scheme. When Williams is in he does similar things. I think Aaron Jones is a good RB but I still wouldn't pay him top dollar. He's not on that level no matter what the stat line says.

You had me until the William's does similar things point. Yes, he can catch the ball. Yes, he can run the ball. However, Jones does each so much better, faster, quicker without hesitation. Williams could not be the weapon Jones is. Other than that ... agree. 

30 minutes ago, spilltray said:

This simply is not true.  Jones was one of the NFL's most electric runners in the league prior to this scheme.  His rookie year he popped off a 20 yard run every 13.5 carries which was by far the best mark in the NFL.  His issue prior to this year was health and usage.

We aren't watching the same players if you think Jamaal Williams is the same caliber of player as Aaron Jones.  Williams isn't even a 4 yard per carry back over his career.  Certainly a quality back up but he's not a starting caliber NFL RB.  We'd be a 3 or 4 loss football team with Williams as the feature of this offense.  He's a plodder who's best asset is pass pro.

7 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Jerick McKinnon signed a four year, $30 million contract with the 49ers on March 14, 2018

https://overthecap.com/player/jerick-mckinnon/3035/

That's the one Jones will point at

Can't imagine that Jones has that little of self worth.  Jerick McKinnon is a career back up who's career production should be dwarfed by Jones come time for him to extend (assuming he stays healthy).  Jones is going to have more TDs this year then Jerrick McKinnon has scored in his entire NFL career.

Jones is going to certainly point at contracts but it's going to be at contracts for players who have similar production.  David Johnson, who had 1 season of quality production before his contract, is probably a much more realistic starting point assuming Jones stays healthy and continues to produce.  

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Matt LaFleur doesn't have Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jermichael Finley. Yes he didn't utilize backs in the pass game, but he didn't need to. Not comparable situations.

The last two years neither did McCarthy. In fact, Cobb was injured a bit in the last two years as well. He only played 9 games in 2018. His quarterback was injured the last two years as well, so throwing to the backs more would have made a ton of sense. Especially since those backs are the two tearing it up for LaFleur. 

McCarthy didn't adapt. 

grain of salt etc...Gute at least making calls

Yes, the Jets talked to several teams about a potential trade for running back Le'Veon Bell
“There was a lot of trade speculations and rumors about, you know, me getting traded obviously from the Jets to other, multiple teams,” Bell said
“And they were actually true. There were times where — I found out from my agent, you know, he had talked to the Jets and things like that. But there were teams like Houston, the Packers, the Kansas City Chiefs, and surprisingly the Steelers, were all in the mix of trying to trade for me.”

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Jerick McKinnon signed a four year, $30 million contract with the 49ers on March 14, 2018

https://overthecap.com/player/jerick-mckinnon/3035/

That's the one Jones will point at

This deal doesn't seem all that bad from a team perspective.  If they could sign a healthy Jones for that it seems like it would be a reasonably good deal.