Aaron Jones

Golfman

i'm 100% against giving RBs second contracts. but also would be super bummed at the prospect of aaron jones and jamaal williams no longer being packers. 

whatever they decide to do, hard to be mad at it. those two are the smith's of the offense, no doubt in terms of bringing the attitude/energy 

• Like 1

from Gil Brandt

Aaron Jones faced a stacked box on a league-high 69.23% of his runs against Carolina in Week 10. On 13 carries, he ran for 93 yards and three touchdowns. Snow likely the culprit, but not sure a RB in same backfield as Aaron Rodgers has ever faced a higher percentage.

• Like 3

I'm on the fence about re-signing Jones when his contract is up (or before it is up). If the team does not intend to re-sign him, though, they should use a high pick on an RB with a similar skillset. I think the only high pick they've used on an RB in the past 20 years or so was for Eddie Lacey. That may need to change. Jones has made a big difference. 

2 hours ago, Toddfather said:

He seems like the type that would consider a discount... Not sure what anything looks in term of money at the moment, but if we are close and we can work it out I would love to still have him on this team. He has been a beast.

Maybe compromise with a two-year extension to lock him in through his age 27 season? Less risk for us, and he can cash in as a 5th-round pick before risking his health in a contract year...

I'm fine if the packers resign him, you only worry about his injury history though, but keep him company with Williams and complimentary backs through the years and it may very well be worth the investment. Especially in this type of offense. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

I’d resign him for 3-4 years before this year ends if he continues to stay healthy and productive.  These guys don’t grow on trees. If he is signed a year early he can get his guaranteed money and we can spread it so he could be released after 2 if it becomes necessary.  Getting that guaranteed money as early in your career as you can is why we may be able to pull off a Packer friendlier deal. I would argue his presence is critical for at least the next two seasons. 

from Ben Fennell via The Athletic

On a second-and-1 run in the fourth quarter, Panthers DT Dontari Poe penetrated immediately and forced Jones to jump-cut from his downhill path. Jones outran the unblocked CB Ross Cockrell to the edge, but watch Jones stay in bounds at the end and fight for an extra 8 yards. Look at the Carolina defenders standing around while Jones is still fighting for every inch. ( awesome video below)

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/11/12205802/1-GB-JONES-FINISH_1.mp4

• Like 2

more

On Jones’ 13-yard TD in the third quarter, the Packers are outnumbered in the box. But watch TE Marcedes Lewis release into the flat rather than block a defender. This forces safety Eric Reid to honor the potential pass play and cover the route. Rodgers then has options with LB Shaq Thompson, and this creates a five-on-five situation for the offensive line. Jones receives the ball from Rodgers and nearly walks into the end zone.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/11/12213742/3-JONES-TD-RUN_1.mp4

On 11/12/2019 at 2:23 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

If Rodgers can't work with MVS, why do we think he could work with Mecole?

Because Mecole is nothing like MVS? Mecole is an underneath YAC type with blazing speed that can turn 20 into 60 in a millisecond. MVS is more of a Kenny Stills or Will Fuller type where he can only really beat you one way. That being said, he doesn't have the talent of those two. I know dude is your guy but you can only blame #12 so much. Especially considering he's throwing to Lazard and Kumerow before he throws to MVS. Is that solely on Aaron being stubborn or are you willing to admit that MVS doesn't win/compete enough?

Edited by beekay414

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Because Mecole is nothing like MVS? Mecole is an underneath YAC type with blazing speed that can turn 20 into 60 in a millisecond. MVS is more of a Kenny Stills or Will Fuller type where he can only really beat you one way. That being said, he doesn't have the talent of those two. I know dude is your guy but you can only blame #12 so much. Especially considering he's throwing to Lazard and Kumerow before he throws to MVS. Is that solely on Aaron being stubborn or are you willing to admit that MVS doesn't win/compete enough?

MVS ran 4 routes against the Panthers. All deep routes. 1 vert on a clear out. 1 post route that our all-world QB couldn't move the middle deep safety off of but threw anyway. 2 flag routes that he was open on both, one that Rodgers decided he would rather throw away, and one that Rodgers didn't have a shot because he was getting hit.

I don't know what MVS is supposed to do at this point, because clearly winning his routes isn't enough.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

MVS ran 4 routes against the Panthers. All deep routes. 1 vert on a clear out. 1 post route that our all-world QB couldn't move the middle deep safety off of but threw anyway. 2 flag routes that he was open on both, one that Rodgers decided he would rather throw away, and one that Rodgers didn't have a shot because he was getting hit.

I don't know what MVS is supposed to do at this point, because clearly winning his routes isn't enough.

You have the all 22 views for these plays?

@AlexGreen#20

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

4 routes isn't much.  One was a clear out with no hope of a throw ... the post didn't work cuz the safety did his job but Rodgers gets blamed ... one flag route didn't get completed as the qb was getting whacked  ... the other flag was open but for unseen reasons didn't get thrown to.   From your own description, not sure why you think MVS is being ignored as it seems to me he was only available  on  1 route.  If that's "clearly winning his routes" there's just not much anybody can do to ease your concerns.       

• Like 1