Week 9 GDT: Titans(4-4) @ Panthers(4-3)

ttitansfan4life

35 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

I do, but then again, I also understood this prior to this past game. 

Quarterback was getting sacked last week (as well as really all year long), and penalties by the line have been committed in the running game as well. Yet I never before heard that we should try to lean more on the running game to eliminate those. In fact, only the opposite.

Yes, it should be fluid, and it was. That's what happens when you miss FGs, are called for back to back penalties on the line, you fumble in the opponent's half and leave points on the field and then get picked off of your receiver's own hands to set up the opposing offense inside your own 20. You're forced off your gameplan. 

I’m not quite sure why a missed field goal changes your game plan. Especially since the drive died on a sack. The back-to-back penalties on the line. Sure, it certainly affects the playcalling for one drive. The interception? How is the interception possibly used to justify a change of game plan when the next drive was a three and out on three passing calls? The fumble. Lol at even mentioning the fumble. I’d be fascinated to hear what game flow issues could possibly lead to Dion Lewis running inside out of 12 personnel on 2nd and 3 while Henry sits on the bench.

Don’t you notice a trend with that list of things that “forced” us off our game plan? None of them involved Henry. Does that not seem to point towards what the initial game plan was? Or maybe Vrabel’s comments about getting Dion involved would point in that same direction?

I guess we should all just be happy that he finally abandoned the run game? That’s all anyone has asked for apparently. Not that we just want some semblance of situational awareness. Something that even hints that Arthur has any idea of what an opponent’s strengths and weaknesses are. Nope, we were all just mad that we ever dared run the ball and thankfully Arthur has finally given Tajae and Raymond the snaps we’ve all been begging for.

Sidenote:

I find these loses less stressful. :)

When Marcus was QB, it was such a painful exercise of determining what was his fault and what wasn't. Back and forth....
Now with him out and the team still being dreadful at times, I find the conversation almost enjoyable. lol

Less blame pointed at one place and spread equally as it should be for the most part. 
Although I think most of us have an united target at the OC spot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Sidenote:

When Marcus was QB, it was such a painful exercise of determining what was his fault and what wasn't. Back and forth....
Now with him out and the team still being dreadful at times, I find the conversation almost enjoyable. lol

Less blame pointed at one place and spread equally as it should be for the most part. 
Although I think most of us have an united target at the OC spot. 

My level of apathy with this team is no different than the Whiz days. I know we suck. Any success would be fleeting...whether it lasts for one drive or one game. Nothing will sustain.

We needed to bench Marcus, but it was always clear that the issues were much more deeply-rooted. That's coming to a head now....i hope

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I’m mostly just happy that the only Arthur Smith defender left amongst reporters, analysts and the entire fanbase found his way to FF. It’s done wonders for my post count.

That's funny indeed, but I could care less about Arthur Smith and whether he keeps or loses his job, I just find it hilarious how some of you are trying so hard to be couch OCs. And since I love your analysis so much, I like to participate. That's all.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Sidenote:

Less stressful? I haven't given a **** since a few weeks back when it became adequately clear that neither did the coaching staff.

No accountability from the coaches. We have too much talent to be sitting at 4-5 with our big wins being against crappy teams in CLE and ATL.

2 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Less stressful? I haven't given a **** since a few weeks back when it became adequately clear that neither did the coaching staff.

No accountability from the coaches. We have too much talent to be sitting at 4-5 with our big wins being against crappy teams in CLE and ATL.

Lol, well I was still caring up until about kickoff yesterday. Just didn't have a good feel.

The QB change gave me a little hope, but now it's back to reality of...meh.

25 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Lol, well I was still caring up until about kickoff yesterday. Just didn't have a good feel.

The QB change gave me a little hope, but now it's back to reality of...meh.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably watch all our remaining games this year, and hope we make some substantial overhauls during the offseason. But I just don't care to be emotionally invested in a season that has no real future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably watch all our remaining games this year, and hope we make some substantial overhauls during the offseason. But I just don't care to be emotionally invested in a season that has no real future.

Exactly.

I'll watch every game but with no real care what happens.  No defending the team to co-workers or even spirited debates about what can be done. 
It's just empty watching.

23 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Exactly.

I'll watch every game but with no real care what happens.  No defending the team to co-workers or even spirited debates about what can be done. 
It's just empty watching.

And this is why I think the writing is on the wall for this to be Vrabel's last year here. Once fan morale hits this level it's almost impossible to come back from that without a complete overhaul and change in culture. From Amy's perspective, it's going to be awfully hard to sell "But we have a new Offensive Coordinator and a rookie QB!" as the reasoning behind selling season tickets. Outside of Brady coming here there just isn't good optics for keeping Vrabel around for year 3. He was a bad hire, and we need to bite the bullet and move on before this bad hire ends up directly impacting the development of our next Franchise QB.

I almost missed the game with the local fan club this week.  I haven't missed one in years when I haven't been out of town... but yeah, once I saw Casey and Jones were out, I knew we weren't winning (almost changed my pick em pick, but what the hell).  I just had a bad feeling about this game.

I wasn't here for the Broncos game, so I don't know how bad that game was watching live... but this was the worst I've seen this year, by far.  By the time we were down 17-0, we had 4 runs on 1st down for 26 yards... Dion actually had runs of 15 (on 1st and 25) and and 8 (on 1st and 15)... he also had an additional rush where he fumbled.

We had 58 yards passing, with a sack and an int... we had 26 yards rushing and a fumble... we also had 3 penalties on offense for 35 yards.  

Drive 1... 42 yard DPI on 1st... 3 yard gain by Henry on 1st, then a sack on 2nd down... pass on 3rd was short 1 yard... missed FG

Drive 2... 3 straight penalties... offside on D to get us to 1st and 5, then 2 straight Lewan to 1st and 25.... 15 yard run by Dion to put us back at 2nd and 10... then another penalty to kill the drive, this time on Davis.  16 yard pass on 3rd, short 3 yards

Drive 3.... 23 yard pass to AJ (short with RAC), false start on Conklin... Dion for 7 on 1st and 15, offsides on D to get us to 2nd and 3, then the Dion fumble

Drive 4... Henry runs for 1 on 1st... Tannehill int off AJ

Drive 5... incomplete, 2 yard scramble, incomplete.... 3 and out

The 2nd drive is the only drive that was really killed by penalties... We had a 3 and out (not counting the DPI), a fumble, a pick, and a 3 and out in 4 of the first 5 drives before going down 17-0.

People want to blame the penalties... but it was just another display of ineffective offense... not much different from last week... except we didn't have the D give us 2 drives inside the 10 this week.