Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

Also, Marvin won those 6 games largely with 95% healthy roster in the first half of the season.  With a decimated roster in the second half, they were awful.  As bad as this year.  Taylor hasn't had a healthy roster since the first five minutes of training camp.  I know every team has injuries, but if the metric is 2018 Marvin, it's not a like for like comparison.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, theJ said:

With normal ball bounces and not starting Finley for 3 games, this team would be on track for 6 wins anyway.  The 2019 Bengals are the same as the 2018 Bengals.

They're exactly one AJ Green away from the same score differential as last year.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again - teams should win half of their close games (unless you're the Patriots).  The 2019 Bengals have won zero close games - that's bad "luck", and not something you can project into 2020.  Taylor has been no worse than ol' Marv, and he got 16 years.  Taylor should get at least two.

Well said.

5 hours ago, theJ said:

With normal ball bounces and not starting Finley for 3 games, this team would be on track for 6 wins anyway.  The 2019 Bengals are the same as the 2018 Bengals.

They're exactly one AJ Green away from the same score differential as last year.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again - teams should win half of their close games (unless you're the Patriots).  The 2019 Bengals have won zero close games - that's bad "luck", and not something you can project into 2020.  Taylor has been no worse than ol' Marv, and he got 16 years.  Taylor should get at least two.

Uh, no. AJ Green isn't worth 5 additional wins. If he were, he'd be the most valuable player in the league.

Don't forget that only twice since the AFL-NFL merger has a team allowed 450+ yards in 4 consecutive games. The first time it happened was in 2018 by the Bengals. The second time it happened was in 2019 by the Bengals. You seem to think we were unlucky to lose close games to Seattle or Buffalo. I'd say we were lucky to be close to them in the first place. A team that loses 6 games by double digits isn't unlucky. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Uh, no. AJ Green isn't worth 5 additional wins. If he were, he'd be the most valuable player in the league.

Don't forget that only twice since the AFL-NFL merger has a team allowed 450+ yards in 4 consecutive games. The first time it happened was in 2018 by the Bengals. The second time it happened was in 2019 by the Bengals. You seem to think we were unlucky to lose close games to Seattle or Buffalo. I'd say we were lucky to be close to them in the first place. A team that loses 6 games by double digits isn't unlucky. 

Don't hate on the stats.  They're proven (except, again, for the Patriots, who always win close games).  

One score games in football are like the 1 run games of baseball.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

I said point differential.  How many ppg do you think AJ Green is worth?

Not many more than Tyler Boyd. We were -87 in point differential last year and are -148 so far this season. Green isn't responsible for that, especially considering he missed half the season last year. 

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Not many more than Tyler Boyd. We were -87 in point differential last year and are -148 so far this season. Green isn't responsible for that, especially considering he missed half the season last year. 

So what were we WITH Green last year?  I'm curious, as Green missed the second half of the season, and since he will miss the last two, at the rate the differential is dropping, it could end up twice as big as last year's when you double last year's.  In this, I'm counting our differential as about -5.5 per game, so this year would be around -10.5.  We were also 5-3 or so with Green and horrible after he got injured

Assuming Burrow #1 overall, for 2.1 here are the guys I'm going to be scouting:

• CJ Henderson, CB, Florida - WJIII has regressed and while I still believe in him, if Henderson somehow is still on the board, you take the lockdown CB.  He can easily go top 15.
  • Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama - Another guy that will probably go in the first round, but every year a few of these guys drop to early 2nd round.  Instant upgrade over Hart.
  • Creed Humphrey, iOL, Oklahoma - Billy Price is a train wreck, need to upgrade the inside of the OL where I only trust Hopkins currently.
  • Marvin Wilson, DL, Florida State - Stud interior defensive tackle.  Like CJ Henderson, you get a stud player dropping to 2.1, take em.  Geno just isn't what he used to be and could use some assistance.  Marvin Wilson is a tough player to block one-on-one.
  • Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama - Great range and speed at a dire position of need.
  • Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma - Similar to Moses, he's not as athletic but has a great motor.
  • Troy Dye, LB, Oregon - In mock drafts, he's going in the 3rd round but I can see him rising to a 2nd round prospect.  Physical LB that is always making plays when I watch Oregon games.
  • Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville - Just a massive OT that is sheer power, he has good feet for his size as well.  With the recent success of Orlando Brown at RT for the Ravens, I think we should fully evaluate what he can do.

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Assuming Burrow #1 overall, for 2.1 here are the guys I'm going to be scouting:

• CJ Henderson, CB, Florida - WJIII has regressed and while I still believe in him, if Henderson somehow is still on the board, you take the lockdown CB.  He can easily go top 15.
  • Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama - Another guy that will probably go in the first round, but every year a few of these guys drop to early 2nd round.  Instant upgrade over Hart.
  • Creed Humphrey, iOL, Oklahoma - Billy Price is a train wreck, need to upgrade the inside of the OL where I only trust Hopkins currently.
  • Marvin Wilson, DL, Florida State - Stud interior defensive tackle.  Like CJ Henderson, you get a stud player dropping to 2.1, take em.  Geno just isn't what he used to be and could use some assistance.  Marvin Wilson is a tough player to block one-on-one.
  • Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama - Great range and speed at a dire position of need.
  • Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma - Similar to Moses, he's not as athletic but has a great motor.
  • Troy Dye, LB, Oregon - In mock drafts, he's going in the 3rd round but I can see him rising to a 2nd round prospect.  Physical LB that is always making plays when I watch Oregon games.
  • Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville - Just a massive OT that is sheer power, he has good feet for his size as well.  With the recent success of Orlando Brown at RT for the Ravens, I think we should fully evaluate what he can do.

I think any of the top WRs could be an option as well. 

23 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I am very much anti taking a WR, RB, or TE with how high we are picking in the 2nd round...

I'm less opposed if they move on from AJ Green. Cuz that basically leaves you with Boyd and Tate long term. 

• Like 1