Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:
On 12/31/2019 at 4:06 PM, johndeere1707 said:

Is there anyone on the forum who isn’t on the Burrow bandwagon yet?

If there is I have torches and pitchforks at the ready.  It's a foregone conclusion in my mind

He's the one. Even if Tua was healthy and declaring, I think I might rather have Burrow. 

• Like 2

Also, is linebacker as big of a need as we think right now?

Vigil is a free agent and has played well enough down the stretch this year to warrant a contract extension. I think we resign him. Pratt has also improved on a game-by-game basis and can conceivably start next year beside Vigil. Considering we're in nickel about 70% of the time, is it really worth it to spend a premium pick on a linebacker this year? I feel as though OT, OG, and WR should be prioritized over LB. What do you think?

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Vigil is a free agent and has played well enough down the stretch this year to warrant a contract extension. I think we resign him. Pratt has also improved on a game-by-game basis and can conceivably start next year beside Vigil. Considering we're in nickel about 70% of the time, is it really worth it to spend a premium pick on a linebacker this year? I feel as though OT, OG, and WR should be prioritized over LB. What do you think?

I'd rather grab Littleton and Schobert in free agency.  Take LB out of the mix.  If we could grab the RT  out of Carolina (Daryl Williams) as well, our draft could then be Burrow, a couple of WRs, another LB, and safety.  We'd still have the money for our own guys, assuming we trade or cut Dalton and Glenn.  If we trade off Green, I'd be looking for a pair of second rounders.  This WR class is DEEEEP

Edited by INbengalfan

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

We should be looking for upgrades from Vigil. We can afford any free agents on the market this year so there's no reason not to get at least an impact LB and an O-lineman. 

We have the cap space to spend. The issue is we don't have - or at least don't spend - the guaranteed cash.

As much as we like talking about it, I'm not expecting a splash this offseason. 

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

We should be looking for upgrades from Vigil. We can afford any free agents on the market this year so there's no reason not to get at least an impact LB and an O-lineman. 

I'd love for them to resign Vigil and also get an upgrade. Gives them options if Pratt does or doesn't develop, injuries, etc. They'll need more than two LBs that can start. 

How do we handle the Andy situation?  Trade talks start as soon as the season ends?  During the draft?  Pushing all the way into next preseason to see who gets QB needy?  Sooner the better of course to use draft picks this year, but it doesn't always work that smoothly. Who do you think would be in the market for the Red Rifle, and at what compensation?  

16 minutes ago, HangOnSloopy said:

How do we handle the Andy situation?  Trade talks start as soon as the season ends?  During the draft?  Pushing all the way into next preseason to see who gets QB needy?  Sooner the better of course to use draft picks this year, but it doesn't always work that smoothly. Who do you think would be in the market for the Red Rifle, and at what compensation?  

I don't think they'll hold him all that long.  They're not going to do him dirty like that.  They'll probably try to shop him up until FA, then release him in the hours leading up to FA.

Gives Andy a chance to land as a starter somewhere.

I don't think he's worth much in a  trade,  coming off what is basically his worst season.  Teams will want him to pair with a young player either as the backup or short term caretaker.  There seem to be several options out there for next year that won't cost a draft pick. Perhaps a team that misses out on that will bite with a late round pick,  but I am guessing we'll end up releasing him.

I don't know that they would have a problem with doing Andy dirty. When they benched him he was tied for most touchdowns by a Bengal all time. If things had gone how they had wanted they would have denied him setting the record, which he deserved. Respect for him doesn't seem to be a priority.

I don't see there be a trade market though. If the Bengals could restructure his contract into bonus so he'd be cheaper for a team that would help. But only a team that thinks they are a manager away from contention would trade for one year of Andy. I still think everyone but Trubisky would have won if we traded him to Chicago this season. If Brady or Rivers retire do either team feel they are only a competent vet away still? 

He served us well. I hope we cut him and he finds a nice situation and success.

On 1/2/2020 at 4:07 PM, SmittyBacall said:

Yeah,  Vigil sucks and while it's not quite as relevant as in prior decades,  we still need 2 good linebackers and if you squint a little,  we might have one.