Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

14 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Why would we want him either?  If he is quitting on them, who is to say he wouldn't here at the first sign of losing.

He didn’t quit on them because they were losing. He quit on them because they misdiagnosed a cancerous growth on his head. He no longer trust the organization and wants out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Trading for Trent Williams makes perfect sense. What happens if it turns out Jonah Williams isn't good or can't stay healthy?

Bengals O-line improved considerably once Glenn started playing,

It's not that I don't want Trent. He'd be a great addition, and I trust that would work out way more than I trust Jonah to be good. 

But this team has so many holes, so to me I'd rather use the assets (trade assets and draft picks) to improve in other areas, and trust their evaluation of Jonah that he can be great at LT. 

They got serviceable play out of Hart and Fred, and could use some of their massive amounts of cash to improve RT in FA if they wanted.

I just think all that makes more sense than trying to work a deal with the Redskins, who are notoriously more difficult to work with than even the Bengals. 

• Like 2

So do you want the Bengals to keep Cordy? Or simply cut him? IMO he's burned his bridges here but also showed he can still play at a starting level in the NFL. Redskins either need to fix their relationship with Trent Williams or move him. 

Cutting Glenn or moving him to LG rather than getting something better for him is wasteful.  Trusting a player who used a shoulder harness in college and missed every single snap in 2019 would be typical of the Bengals as well as idiotic. Getting T Williams for left tackle and using J Williams as RT makes a lot of sense. If Jonah doesn't pan out, we have big Fred behind him and can draft someone as well. If Jonah turns out to be a stud, then so much the better. 

Trent Williams has one year left on his contract. He'll probably want to be the highest paid lineman. There will probably be a line of teams willing to give him that contract. Even if the Bengals are willing to do that I feel they are at a disadvantage unless the overpay by an unreasonable amount.

They could tag him but I don't think that would work out either.

I think that we could very likely be trading X assets for a one year rental and potentially a 3rd round compensatory pick two years from now, and X assets would have to be a lot in the first place.

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

He didn’t quit on them because they were losing. He quit on them because they misdiagnosed a cancerous growth on his head. He no longer trust the organization and wants out.

I'm aware of how it started, but that was over a year ago.  There was plenty of time to mend fences, et it didn't happen.

And now he might stay there anyway.  Their trainer was fired the other day.

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

So do you want the Bengals to keep Cordy? Or simply cut him? IMO he's burned his bridges here but also showed he can still play at a starting level in the NFL. Redskins either need to fix their relationship with Trent Williams or move him. 

Cutting Glenn or moving him to LG rather than getting something better for him is wasteful.  Trusting a player who used a shoulder harness in college and missed every single snap in 2019 would be typical of the Bengals as well as idiotic. Getting T Williams for left tackle and using J Williams as RT makes a lot of sense. If Jonah doesn't pan out, we have big Fred behind him and can draft someone as well. If Jonah turns out to be a stud, then so much the better. 

Glenn played ok, but hasn't lived up to his contract. With his injury history, contract status, age, and level of play the last two years he's not worth more than a 5th round pick IMO. 

I bet they end up cutting him. JMO. 

9 hours ago, theJ said:

Glenn played ok, but hasn't lived up to his contract. With his injury history, contract status, age, and level of play the last two years he's not worth more than a 5th round pick IMO. 

I bet they end up cutting him. JMO. 

If he's worth a 5/6 round pick, take it. Especially during a full on rebuild.

NBC Sports' JP Finlay reports Redskins fired OL coach Bill Callahan.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/12596/bill-callahan

He's officially a free agent. Let's see how this goes from here. It would be nice to get some experienced, established coaches on the staff. Callahan acted as the interim HC in Washington this year after Gruden was fired. Even if we don't fire Turner, I hope he still latches onto the staff as some type of offensive assistant.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

He's officially a free agent. Let's see how this goes from here. It would be nice to get some experienced, established coaches on the staff. Callahan acted as the interim HC in Washington this year after Gruden was fired. Even if we don't fire Turner, I hope he still latches onto the staff as some type of offensive assistant.

Came on here to post it too.  Hope they get it done before the first wild card game kicks off Saturday.

6 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

It would have been a perfect fit and speculation was that they tried to make it happen last offseason,  but Washington would not release him. He's one of the best active oline coaches.  He'll be in demand by just about everyone.