Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'd like to see us hire Bill Callahan as the new O-line coach. Then trade our malcontent Cordy for Washington's Trent Williams. And also sign Brandon Scherff in free agency. A line of

T Williams - Jordan - Hopkins - Scherff - J Williams would be legit and give Burrow a chance. 

I've pretty much believed that Callahan was coming as soon as his contract was up in Washington.  i would expect him to be named Asst head Coach/o-line "helper" in the next week or two

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'd like to see us hire Bill Callahan as the new O-line coach. Then trade our malcontent Cordy for Washington's Trent Williams. And also sign Brandon Scherff in free agency. A line of

T Williams - Jordan - Hopkins - Scherff - J Williams would be legit and give Burrow a chance. 

If I'm Washington why would I even consider that trade?  Williams is a MUCH better player.

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

What's his story? Never heard of him.

elite athlete. elite human. decent football player. you guys will love him. he'll forever be a legend on the packer subforum. one of my favorite packers of all-time. 

stupid *** decision to cut him. he's gonna bring a sensational energy to your DB room. 

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Uh, you do know that Callahan is being replaced in DC and his son works for the Bengals, don't you? The Bengals are likely to move too slowly but it shouldn't be hard to get Bill to come here and work with Brian. And maybe recruit one or two of his former players.

I could see Callahan coming over, but trading for Trent doesn't make a ton of sense.  They drafted Jonah to be the LT, and aren't going to give up any assets to trade for another.

Also, the Redskins wouldn't take that trade.  Cordy hasn't been good.  They'd be lucky to get a 6th round pick for him, and are going to have to settle for cutting him more than likely.  Redskins could have gotten a much higher pick early this year, and probably still could if they wanted to unload Trent (they don't).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'm curious as to why a few of you think John Miller needs to be replaced at RG as opposed to Jordan at LG. Miller has easily been our steadiest guard this year. I get that Jordan at least has some theoretical upside because he's young, but he's been downright bad so far.

In order of strongest to weakest on the line I'd say:

1. LT (Jonah)

2. C (Hopkins)

T3. RG (Miller)

T3. RT (Hart)

5. LG (Jordan)

I'd probably look at the top 3 as the starters then the last two along with fred Johnson as in competition for the last two spots. Price looks like the back up center. His play is disappointing,  but he played his best last year at center and he's a good dude who will keep coming to work to get better and not be disruptive in the locker room. 

I think it's important to add a veteran type,  even if it's someone at the end of their career that you can trust to be a leader in the locker room and play left guard until Jordan is truly ready.  Then draft a 4th tackle somewhere along the line.  If you go early enough,  they take over right tackle but if not, Fred and Hart get to compete for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'd like to see Callahan,  but I think it's hard to say Turner did a bad job. Considering injuries and borderline NFL players regularly playing,  the line is incredibly improved from the beginning of the season. 

This is my thoughts as well. It’s tough to fire someone when you see dramatic improvements in that area for the latter half of the year. Mixon was the second leading rusher in the NFL behind Henry during that span. Bobby Hart also wasn’t as horrendous as we thought he’d be, and Fred Johnson looked really good these last two weeks. In the end he did a pretty decent job. 

15 hours ago, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

If I'm Washington why would I even consider that trade?  Williams is a MUCH better player.

We may have to throw something else in, I'd be willing to send them Dre in addition to Cordy. Washington is think at CB and WR. But they got nothing from Williams last year. He especially hated Bruce Allen so maybe they repair their relationship, But they can't afford to not have a legit LT on the field again. Glenn is a legit LT.

11 hours ago, theJ said:

I could see Callahan coming over, but trading for Trent doesn't make a ton of sense.  They drafted Jonah to be the LT, and aren't going to give up any assets to trade for another.

Also, the Redskins wouldn't take that trade.  Cordy hasn't been good.  They'd be lucky to get a 6th round pick for him, and are going to have to settle for cutting him more than likely.  Redskins could have gotten a much higher pick early this year, and probably still could if they wanted to unload Trent (they don't).

Trading for Trent Williams makes perfect sense. What happens if it turns out Jonah Williams isn't good or can't stay healthy?

Bengals O-line improved considerably once Glenn started playing,

18 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Uh, you do know that Callahan is being replaced in DC and his son works for the Bengals, don't you?

I’m well aware.

18 hours ago, sparky151 said:

And maybe recruit one or two of his former players.

Have you seen how the Bengals operate? Acquiring one of those guys would be a stretch. The Redskins weren’t budging off their asking price of a first round pick for Williams at the deadline this year. In what world would Glenn be sufficient compensation to acquire him? As for Scherff, it would be a dream scenario to sign him. But I know how the Bengals operate in free agency. We don’t target A-level free agents. Until they actually start making moves and proving me wrong I’m not going to get my hopes up. It sounds great in theory, but isn’t realistic. 

It’s also not a certainty Turner is fired. The line improved dramatically the second half of the year. He ended up doing a decent job considering the personnel he had to deal with.