Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

16 hours ago, otg said:

I don't know that they would have a problem with doing Andy dirty. When they benched him he was tied for most touchdowns by a Bengal all time. If things had gone how they had wanted they would have denied him setting the record, which he deserved. Respect for him doesn't seem to be a priority

You'd have to convince me they knew he was tied for the record at the time. That's something I doubt is tracked all that tightly inside the locker room. 

16 hours ago, sparky151 said:

yeah, Dalton doesn't have any trade value. There are better options for teams looking for a QB starter and his 17 mil is too much for a backup/mentor role. 

Agreed. Same reason I don't think Cordy has any trade value either. 

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Those two are either getting cut or kept on the roster most likely.  Cordy is slightly more likely to get traded, but I still don't see a team investing picks and cap space considering his injury history the last few years.

6 hours ago, theJ said:

Glenn has trade value as he's played at a decent level when healthy. He missed time in prior years with a leg injury but it seemed to not be a problem in 2019. He missed a bunch of games last year with a "concussion" but those heal and he probably could have returned much sooner if he wanted to.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:46 AM, theJ said:

You'd have to convince me they knew he was tied for the record at the time. That's something I doubt is tracked all that tightly inside the locker room. 

There is an argument to be made that no it wasn't tracked tightly in the locker room. I can't see monitoring that type of thing being a responsibility of anyone on the coaching staff.

But Andy Dalton knew. I doubt he walked around dropping hints like someone about their birthday, or that he had a poster of footballs that he marked off until the record. But it may have come up conversationally. Players could have known if they had read press clippings about the Bengals from the previous year.

Above the coaching staff level I'd be surprised if there wasn't a person who tracked everything like that. Or had an Excel sheet that did it. Color commentators are on top of that. It's important to know these types of things. For moral and organizational culture people like to be recognized for their contributions. At the corporate level broken records and record pursuits are good for marketing and promotion.

It's not like it was some conditional accomplishment where we have to set the right parameters for it to be a thing. He set the all time mark for the team. He broke the record of a player who was a bounce away from the Hall of Fame, and has an argument anyway.

We live in the age of information. I expect a professional organization to know these things. But this is the Bengals we're talking about...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

95% onboard with Burrow as the pick at #1.  5% of me still wants Tua.

The Clemson game will probably get me to 100% onboard with Burrow...

A 21 year old with already a history of ankle and hip problems scares the crap out of me, especially the hip.  I don't deny Tua's talent, but i'm 100% on board with Burrow.

55 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

A 21 year old with already a history of ankle and hip problems scares the crap out of me, especially the hip.  I don't deny Tua's talent, but i'm 100% on board with Burrow.

Prior to the injury, I had Tua as QB1.  After the injury, I'm 95% there with Burrow, so there was a big shift for me as well.  Just need to see how Burrow does against Clemson.  Venables is legitimately one of the best DCs alive, so let's see what his gameplan and halftime adjustments will be for Burrow...

On 1/5/2020 at 2:06 PM, otg said:

There is an argument to be made that no it wasn't tracked tightly in the locker room. I can't see monitoring that type of thing being a responsibility of anyone on the coaching staff.

But Andy Dalton knew. I doubt he walked around dropping hints like someone about their birthday, or that he had a poster of footballs that he marked off until the record. But it may have come up conversationally. Players could have known if they had read press clippings about the Bengals from the previous year.

Above the coaching staff level I'd be surprised if there wasn't a person who tracked everything like that. Or had an Excel sheet that did it. Color commentators are on top of that. It's important to know these types of things. For moral and organizational culture people like to be recognized for their contributions. At the corporate level broken records and record pursuits are good for marketing and promotion.

It's not like it was some conditional accomplishment where we have to set the right parameters for it to be a thing. He set the all time mark for the team. He broke the record of a player who was a bounce away from the Hall of Fame, and has an argument anyway.

We live in the age of information. I expect a professional organization to know these things. But this is the Bengals we're talking about...

Even if no one knew he was close to the record, pretty damn sure everyone knew it was his birthday. They decided he’d be a backup and let him know on his birthday. Pretty disrespectful, regardless. 😂 

44 minutes ago, BengalsBite said:

I don’t know why but I have this nagging feeling that Taylor will really want Herbert at 1

Welcome to the board, brethren. 

I hope not. I did hear that Zac reached out to Burrow’s family, likely gauging his interest in competing at the Senior Bowl. Part of me thinks he’s the type of guy to show up regardless of his stock. Problem is he’ll have barely any time to prep in between the championship game and the start of Senior Bowl practices.

3 hours ago, BengalsBite said:

I don’t know why but I have this nagging feeling that Taylor will really want Herbert at 1

Then why has it been widely reported that he is actively trying to get Burrow to show up at the Senior Bowl?  We don't need to see him play, just shpopw up and get to know the coaches.

Welcome to the site.

Edit:  I see Smitty already covered this.

Edited by INbengalfan
  • Like 1