GDT Week 10: Packers vs. Panthers (Martinez on an Island Edition)

AlexGreen#20

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Feel free to look back at my initial post before we ran the play when I said to kick the FG. No hindsight here. 

Yeah there was a bunch of people who did say it first, I remember because I called all of you names haha

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, 

Run plays have a success rate of like 60% on the goal line. Passes are like 45%. 

If you want to argue Lewis should have been the only TE, and run it out of a more spread look,  I'd agree,  but this was the right call. 

I like the going for it but it  seems there has to be something better than run the ball up the middle where it's stacked big time.  They lost 3 more yards than they gained … needed more than that.  

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I like the going for it but it  seems there has to be something better than run the ball up the middle where it's stacked big time.  They lost 3 more yards than they gained … needed more than that.  

Yeah tough shortest way To the EX was up the gut and Jones doesn’t need big holes. Glad I was wrong it would seem that the old days of momentum are not what they once were. Teams can change it so quickly. Glad we won. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A FG turns a 1 possession game into a 1 possession game. 

From an expected points analytics perspective, going for it was the right call.

From a situational win percentage analytics, going for it was the right call. 

Agreed after thinking it over … good point.  Play call questionable and the failure to complete it wasn't pretty.

47 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah there was a bunch of people who did say it first, I remember because I called all of you names haha

You did I recall that.
I myself would have taken the points. Just love the idea of scoring going into half  and getting the ball again. Staying In the black  I don’t think that is a vote of no confidence to kick there it’s just adding points onto points and staying in a good down and distance so to speak. Glad it didn’t blow up. Snow rookie QB on the road. Make him score allot and we made it easier by not taking sure points. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The delay of game was intentional. Much easier to punt for the 5 yard line from the 43 yard line than the 38 yard line.

Kicking a 55 yard field goal into swirling winds would have been a brutal decision, especially with as bad as Crosby's footing would have been. He came up short on a 52 yarder going the opposite direction earlier in the game. That's maybe a 50% chance of converting, and it's probably not even that high. We would have been better going for it at that point. 

I was referring to the delay of game on 2nd down.  Clearly the 4th down delay of game was intentional.

24 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Was at the game so I couldn't see,  but was that one we ran the play clock down to 1 second? @Outpost31

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

The play that ended the 1st half where Bak totally whiffed on his block and runner got stuffed at the 5 yard line.  ooff.  Oh yeah, piss poor clock management there too.

The hard count on the 1 yard line was odd....if anything I would have quick counted with my OL ready to fire off the ball. 

8 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I don’t think you should shy away from a play because you anticipate your all pro left tackle to get beat like a drum.

This is one of those situations when coaches are asked about the play call the answer is “We need to execute better.”