Team Building the FUTURE is now!

thebestever6

FWIW and it may not be much as I’m far from an insider of any kind, I heard Schobert wants to be a Bronco and that has a good chance of happening. Also heard Von had been recruiting DJ Reader and that’s a strong possibility.

Schobert is in that “A money for B talent” sphere I don’t like about free agency but his coverage ability is something we haven’t had in a long time. Reader is the true prize. There’s your Akiem Hicks if you can get him.

Sure feels like Denver wants to buy a ready-made defense while Drew and the young offense grow.

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

FWIW and it may not be much as I’m far from an insider of any kind, I heard Schobert wants to be a Bronco and that has a good chance of happening. Also heard Von had been recruiting DJ Reader and that’s a strong possibility.

Schobert is in that “A money for B talent” sphere I don’t like about free agency but his coverage ability is something we haven’t had in a long time. Reader is the true prize. There’s your Akiem Hicks if you can get him.

Sure feels like Denver wants to buy a ready-made defense while Drew and the young offense grow.

The market on Reader is going to be insane, though.  Same with Schobert.   I don't think we'll get both.   Keep in mind Elway rarely sets the market, and man, both seem like they're going to get paid.

One cheaper alternative I'm intrigued by is PIT's Javon Hargrave.   When Tuitt went down, I thought PIT's D would drop off.  It didn't, and he was a huge reason for that.  Not quite elite level disruption like Reader, but like him, a run stuffer who's also disruptive with interior pass rush.  Only a LOT cheaper to sign, and less competition.

I don't have any problem if Elway thinks Reader is plan A, but he's plan A for a ton of guys.   Hargrave I can get behind if he lands with us, especially if it's more midlevel pricing.

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The market on Reader is going to be insane, though.  Same with Schobert.   I don't think we'll get both.   Keep in mind Elway rarely sets the market, and man, both seem like they're going to get paid.

One cheaper alternative I'm intrigued by is PIT's Javon Hargrave.   When Tuitt went down, I thought PIT's D would drop off.  It didn't, and he was a huge reason for that.  Not quite elite level disruption like Reader, but like him, a run stuffer who's also disruptive with interior pass rush.  Only a LOT cheaper to sign, and less competition.

I don't have any problem if Elway thinks Reader is plan A, but he's plan A for a ton of guys.   Hargrave I can get behind if he lands with us, especially if it's more midlevel pricing.

Could be. There’s definitely a price they should bow out at with Schobert, and the prospect of signing him at all doesn’t excite him. But deals do get done in the weeks before the market officially opens, I got the impression this one could be headed to ESPN’s news desk the second FA opens. We’ll see.

Hargrave is awesome, I just can’t imagine him not getting insanely paid like Reader. The great thing about the position is there are so many viable options in FA. There’s a good Plan B, Plan C, Plan D etc. They should not have an issue upgrading from Shelby. 

Another DT to look at with the size Vic likes might be Jordan Phillips. Bills have already said he's free to test the market and at 6'6 341lbs with 9.5 sacks may be the top DT looked at, which may allow us time to nego. with Reader. 

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Well - what about the idea of trading for Trent Williams?

11 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I shudder at the idea of having two starting T’s on the bench for most of the season due to injury. 

It seems likely that a team will have to give up their 2nd to get Williams, and also renegotiate a deal.

No thanks on the 2nd part - entering age-32 season, and having played 13, 10 & 12 games from 2016-18...and bad knees?    That's exactly the type of signing we need to avoid.   Our realistic window to contend opens up for 2021-22, less so for 2020 - I don't mind if we get a 2020 FA, but they have to keep peak play potential for 2021-2 for it to be a smart move.   Trent Williams is the exact opposite career-wise of what we want to target.

It's a moot point, in that teams like CLE (where WAS could have extracted a 1st last year for him, but appears more likely 2.10 is the price there with GM Dorsey gone) or even LAC at 2.6 have us outgunned.  And I would not try to outbid them, given the issues above.

• Like 3

I still like the idea of bringing in a veteran WR like Paul Richardson. Bring him in on a 1+1TO at $3M, he can help solidify our young core of receivers while also giving Lock a steadying vet. He’s got a SB ring and has Colorado ties

On 3/2/2020 at 10:20 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Sounds like they’ll be spending on a corner and a big space eating 3-4 DL. Makes sense. Plenty of options at both position, so if you strike out on the top guys you can still bring in productive players for the right price. 

You got the first part right. I'm looking forward to part 2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

There is a raiders fan in the nfl general forum (a thread about which team will trade up for Tua) saying Lock was horrible last year. Guess we better move on from him. What a joke 

It's a Raiders fan, sometime both of their brain cells don't always work at the same time

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Counselor said:

There is a raiders fan in the nfl general forum (a thread about which team will trade up for Tua) saying Lock was horrible last year. Guess we better move on from him. What a joke 

Please tell me it's the same guy who thinks signing 43 year old Tom Brady is going to push the Raiders into contention. xD

• Like 1