If you didn't think Joe Burrow was a 1st rounder last year, why would you think he's one this year?

VanS

5 hours ago, VanS said:

Oklahoma has always had a laughble defense.  2 years ago Nick Chubb and Sony Michel ran thru them like a hot knife through butter.  Putting up monster numbers against them should be expected.

Stuff like what Trevor Lawrence did against Ohio St running the ball was unexpected.  His performance elevated his stock in my eyes.  Joe Burrow's performance didn't. 

I’m not talking about the numbers. I’m talking about his ability as a football player. It was clearly on display if you watched the game. Give credit where it’s due.

If this was Josh Dobbs or Josh Allen throwing 7 TDs by half time you’d have your pants around your ankles and posting here faster than you can say “elite physical traits”.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

Come on guys...who didn't expect 400+ yards and 7 TDs in a half? Clearly Vans did.

the ability to throw the football means nothing...only size, arm strength, and 40 time. In a matter of fact, you can just throw game film in the garbage can where it belongs because everything you'd ever need to know can be collected at the NFL combine.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, VanS said:

Oklahoma has always had a laughble defense.  2 years ago Nick Chubb and Sony Michel ran thru them like a hot knife through butter.  Putting up monster numbers against them should be expected.

Stuff like what Trevor Lawrence did against Ohio St running the ball was unexpected.  His performance elevated his stock in my eyes.  Joe Burrow's performance didn't. 

Weren't you the one who said you scouted traits earlier in the thread?  If you watched anything of Trevor Lawrence in previous games, what did he show different?  The traits were always there.

8 hours ago, VanS said:

I'm confused.  Did Joe Burrow light it up in the Super Bowl?  Or did he play a Big 10 team with a recent history of awful defensive performances in bowl games?

I don't know how its stubborn given he's proven nothing in the NFL.  This thread is about pro potential not how good of a college QB Joe Burrow is.

What does Joe Burrow have to show you to get you to believe in him?  He's having one of the best seasons by a CFB QB, and you're still over here saying he's a sure-fire bust.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What does Joe Burrow have to show you to get you to believe in him?  He's having one of the best seasons by a CFB QB, and you're still over here saying he's a sure-fire bust.

Don’t listen to anything he says about any quarterback prospects ever. 

Van still thinks Josh Dobbs is an elite up and coming quarterback. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 6:26 AM, sammymvpknight said:

If Burrow fails in the NFL, it will be because the Bengals are a dysfunction franchise that struggles to put supporting pieces around him or injury...but the same can be said of pretty much any QB prospect ever. I'd be absolutely shocked if Burrow isn't at least a good NFL QB...probably one of the highest floor QBs I've seen in a very long time.

So if he fails its the Bengals fault but if he succeeds you were right all along?

Talk about covering your bases.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 12:31 PM, CWood21 said:

Weren't you the one who said you scouted traits earlier in the thread?  If you watched anything of Trevor Lawrence in previous games, what did he show different?  The traits were always there.

His athleticism is far greater than I thought.  I had him in the Carson Wentz range as an athlete.  Against Ohio State he looked like he had Josh Allen/ Deshaun Watson level athleticism running the ball.  That boosted his stock in my eyes cause it meant I was underselling some of his physical traits.   

Edited by VanS

14 minutes ago, VanS said:

His athleticism is far greater than I thought.  I had him in the Carson Wentz range as an athlete.  Against Ohio State he looked like he had Josh Allen/ Deshaun Watson level athleticism running the ball.  That boosted his stock in my eyes cause it meant I was underselling some of his physical traits.   

No, he didn't.

17 hours ago, VanS said:

So if he fails its the Bengals fault but if he succeeds you were right all along?

No sir. You're thinking prospects become good players on their own. They need a stable environment to grow and the coaching skills to unlock a player's potential. No matter how good those traits look, it will never matter if his coaches can't mold him into a player. If he succeeds, it's all congrats to the Bengals for selecting a QB with the right skill set and then molding him into a viable starter or Franchise QB. 

EDIT: There are rare cases that prospects become good on their own, even with bad coaching. 

Edited by YogiBiz

I don't care how bad Oklahoma's defense is, you simply cannot discount 400+ yards and 7 touchdowns in ONE HALF OF A PLAYOFF GAME.

While I'm still a bit skeptical of Burrow, no one is playing as well as him right now and Cincinnati would be nuts not to take him. If he doesn't pan out, Cincy can't be blamed because they didn't have any other choice at the time. Much rather roll the dice with Burrow than guys that are clearly inferior like Fromm and Herbert.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, VanS said:

You’re the one blaming the lack of opportunity on why Dobbs hasn’t shown what he can do as opposed to maybe Dobbs just doesn’t have what it takes that is why he hasn’t been given the opportunity. 

13 minutes ago, Counselor said:

You’re the one blaming the lack of opportunity on why Dobbs hasn’t shown what he can do as opposed to maybe Dobbs just doesn’t have what it takes that is why he hasn’t been given the opportunity. 

Lol you mean Josh "Mr. Career 24.0 Passer Rating" Dobbs? Lmfao I love @VanS. He makes the day enjoyable lmao

Edited by YogiBiz

6 hours ago, Counselor said:

But I also said if Dobbs never gets a serious shot in the NFL then I won't use that as an excuse and say he would've been good.  I would admit I was wrong.  I just think 3 years is too short a time period to say Dobbs can't play. 

The post I was replying to basically said if Burrow fails under any circumstance its the Bengals fault.  That's nothing like my Dobbs take which is more about advocating patience than anything else.

• Like 2