This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

Lost the family dog yesterday in an accident. Putting her down was the toughest thing I've ever been apart of. I've lost family members and friends, but this has been way harder to handle. I'm guessing being with her every step of the way and seeing them put her to sleep is a big reason why, but man, I was not prepared for yesterday.

2 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Lost the family dog yesterday in an accident. Putting her down was the toughest thing I've ever been apart of. I've lost family members and friends, but this has been way harder to handle. I'm guessing being with her every step of the way and seeing them put her to sleep is a big reason why, but man, I was not prepared for yesterday.

Sorry to hear that.   Have had to put a dog down due to age, knew the time was coming, but still hard to do.  Cant imagine when it was unexpected.  

WE took some time off from having a dog, one we have now is just as awesome as the one we lost.  

3 hours ago, smetana34 said:

That sucks man .. not sure why it is but sometimes it's harder to lose a pet than a loved one.  I had a tough time for weeks after losing a cat to kidney failure.  It happened in 2006 .. I never did get another cat, although I have been thinking of getting a rescue kitten of late.  Time to step back into pet ownership, perhaps.  So sorry though .. try to remember those great memories!

6 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Sorry to hear that.  Since my kids have grown and moved away, my wife and I treat our dogs like our children. Not looking forward to them getting older. My prayers go out to you and your family my friend.

On 1/24/2018 at 3:27 PM, smetana34 said:

When the time comes I insist on holding my dogs if they must be euthanized. It is really hard, but I want to be with them.

Looking for some advice:

My brother is slightly developmentally disabled. He had brain surgery as a one year old, and it's basically kept him behind his classmates as far as maturity for his entire life. He's currently 17 and was tested out about 6 months ago to have the maturity and social understanding of a 14 year old. He's not any cognitively slower than his classmates, he just lacks the maturity and self discipline.

Two years ago he was taken out of special education classes. The thinking was that he was mentally capable of handling the work so long as he buckled down and did what he needed to do. So far this is working out poorly. When forced to do the work, he does alright (not spectacular, but a B-C student). The issue we have is when we don't force him to do the work, he slacks off and doesn't study or do homework. When he was in the special education classes, his helper forced him to pay attention and take notes and do homework. Without that over his head, he's struggling. 

I don't know what to do to, and I'm starting to lose faith that there's anything that I can do. I want him to go to college and follow the "traditional life path" but I'm struggling to make him see the importance of that. 

Anybody have any experience with kids struggling in school?

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Looking for some advice:

My brother is slightly developmentally disabled. He had brain surgery as a one year old, and it's basically kept him behind his classmates as far as maturity for his entire life. He's currently 17 and was tested out about 6 months ago to have the maturity and social understanding of a 14 year old. He's not any cognitively slower than his classmates, he just lacks the maturity and self discipline.

Two years ago he was taken out of special education classes. The thinking was that he was mentally capable of handling the work so long as he buckled down and did what he needed to do. So far this is working out poorly. When forced to do the work, he does alright (not spectacular, but a B-C student). The issue we have is when we don't force him to do the work, he slacks off and doesn't study or do homework. When he was in the special education classes, his helper forced him to pay attention and take notes and do homework. Without that over his head, he's struggling. 

I don't know what to do to, and I'm starting to lose faith that there's anything that I can do. I want him to go to college and follow the "traditional life path" but I'm struggling to make him see the importance of that. 

Wish I had a good answer for you.  Are there any resources around that could be utilized?  Is there a college or University that has an education major program?  If so, you might be able to find a tutor that could work with him and keep him on the tasks that need to be done.  Could serve as a resume builder for them, and some side income to help with school.  

Not sure if setting up some weekly or monthly contracts with him to get x, y, and z done on a schedule that leads to some rewards/perks that he would enjoy.  Incentives can go a long way toward helping some stay on task.  

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Looking for some advice:

#1 Keep reminding yourself that this isn't about you. Sounds harsh, but it sounds a little bit like it's becoming your challenge, not his.

Here's the question for you. What is the end game for your brother ?  By end game I mean post schooling. Be honest with yourself and keep the expectations realistic. The struggles you describe may not be solvable. In football speak, maybe your brother will have a low ceiling. That thought probably pisses you off. It would piss me off too. I'm sure you have some people you can speak to that have worked with your brother - do it. Spitball what the goals should be with regard to your brother - not the goals you have for your brother. His confidence and happiness need to be attended to. I don't know what his state of mind is. I don't know if he is frustrated, happy go lucky, don't know how aware he is with his limitations. Those are big things to be taken into consideration. Him beating his head against the wall trying to accomplish something that may not be realistic would be pretty sad. 

I could probably ramble on for pages, but everything you do to help needs to be for him under his circumstances, not yours. Maybe he can't be an engineer, but maybe he would have the happiest life in all the world doing something very modest. I would keep talking with teachers, counselors, whoever you can that has knowledge with the situation to stay on a realistic path and happy path for your brother, not yourself

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 4:27 PM, smetana34 said:

Aww, sorry to hear that.  :o   We do get attached to our pets, don't we?  I suspect it is because they give us unconditional love and affection.  

On 1/31/2018 at 9:34 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Looking for some advice:

I'm sorry your brother is struggling in school.  You might not want to hear this but college might not be for him.  Is he good with his hands?  He might be a good candidate for vocational school.  Does he like to tinker with cars for example?  If he can find a vocation that interests him he might not need to be have someone hovering over him to make sure he is paying attention and/or doing his homework.  College isn't for everyone - even those that are not developmentally challenged.

• Like 1