The Myles Garrett incident

Webmaster

Just now, ET80 said:

I think we can agree on one thing: This doesn't happen if Joshua Dobbs is the starter.

If you look into his eyes, you'll see he's not the type to engage in such barbaric activities.

Well he would have been busy trying to calculate how fast the bus needs to drive to go back in time to not suit up.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It's the perception more than the reality in Garrett's case.  He's gonna be suspended the entire year.  Possibly more.  What he did was no worse than what Hunt, Hill, Brown or half the other major things in the league.  Haynesworth was worse.  Suh was worse.  Burfict was worse.  Mike Evans was worse.  Hell, what AJ Green did a couple years ago was worse.  Each of them made conscious efforts to HARM another player.  Actively trying to injure them.  Garrett lost his composure and swung a helmet at Rudolph.  If you watch the video, he didn't take the helmet off with the intention of swinging it.  Rudolph tried removing Garrett's helmet, and he also tried stomping on Garrett.  Garrett actively and consciously removed Rudolph's helmet; Rudolph tried to retaliate, and Garrett was like, "**** it, I got this helmet Imana swing it." 

He was being tugged at and distracted and he swung a helmet.  It's really not much different than when players lose their composure and think it's a good idea to punch someone who is wearing a helmet. 

But, unfortunately, rivalry game, garbage time, swinging a helmet could literally kill someone.  It's a really bad perception, and a highly talented (and I'm sure strong character) player is about to miss healthy time from what was looking like a Hall of Fame career. 

What's worse is that he will never be able to live this down.  He could go on to break White's career sack record (don't even at me about Bruce Smith) and still be remembered as the guy who swung a helmet. 

Feel bad for him.  A split second ruining the rest of your life... Terrible. 

The difference is that is story is on the front page of CCN, Fox, NBC, Huffington, USA today and a bunch of others.   I'll go check and see if it is on the National Review.  The PR on this is bad.  how it is different than what Gronk did to get 1 game is really beyond me.

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So, each time I see the 'kick to the unmentionables' pic, they are cropping it to not show that fame fully.  It's when Garrett literally had Rudolph off the ground by the facemask.  I think almost any player would be throwing kicks and punches to get free at that point.

It looked less like a kick than a "get off me" push but ...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Mozel tov to Garretts girlfriend given how low Mason's hand is.

I mean, it would fit with the rest of his godly physique...

Anyways, not liking indefinite on the suspension for Garrrett.

I honestly think the “indefinite” is just a “we’re tough on this stuff” stance that ends up being 6 games.

Pouncey would likely appeal and see it reduced to 2 games.

Possibly, which is fair.

Ogunjobi, possibly reduced to 0.

Maybe, but honestly I think both he and Mason earned a game.  You have to send a message that initiating these things and jumping into the scrum won’t be tolerated either, not just the egregious acts.

Mason should be getting a hefty fine along with some others.

They should all be getting enormous fines.

DeCastro better not though, dude showed some real character not getting carried away there.

• Like 1

Just now, TXsteeler said:

Pouncey did say he would accept his punishment, so he can't appeal it anymore, legally speaking.

It would be pretty much unprecedented for the NFLPA not to appeal.

They likely gave him 3 so that they could bounce it down to 2 and keep him out of the browns game on appeal.

• Like 1