Is a QB "elevating talent" a myth?

Elky

12 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Would we have ever really heard of Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver, Robert Brooks, Bill Schroeder, Javon Walker, without Brett Favre? I dunno, maybe. But still...

Don't know. You think Farve wins his only SB in 96' and as many games as he did in his career if he was playing with say Todd Pinkston, Greg Lewis, James Thrash, Billy McMullin, Reggie Brown,  instead?

Works both ways!

Edited by Nabbs4u

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Absolutely 100% not a myth. The truly elite ones always elevate talent. Or they are just so good, they don’t need much talent around them might be a better way to look at it. 

- Russell Wilson right now, prime example. His awareness in the pocket and his mobility. 

- Tom Bradys intelligence, quick release, and dead on money accuracy. 

Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning. They all don’t need much talent to be successful. 

Whether it be just how good they are (Rodgers, etc) or specific skillsets (Romo with that ridiculous release).

Some will always need talent. Carr and Rivers for example. Carr is a Top 10 QB with elite protection. Bottom 7-8 without elite protection. Just his style of play. 

Rivers is a Top 5-8 QB with a solid offensive cast. He’s looked quite bad without talented offenses. 

I'll disagree with most of these.

Wilson this year is probably the closest example, but I also don't think the Seahawks could reliably win this many close games from year to year. Pete Carroll is also a great HC which is a big part of "elevating the cast"

While Brady is an all-time great (Dare I say the GOAT) I think most of the Patriots success has to do with Belichick. The Patriots win by flat out being smarter than every other team.

I'm not really sure about Brees or Rodgers tbh. The Packers were mediocre the last 2 years, and now that they have a coaching overhaul with some nice additions in terms of players, they are a top team again. Same thing with Brees - they were consistently 7-9/6-10 for several years in a row until they finally put a defense together. Once Brees went down for a few games this year the Saints were still winning games because the talent was there.

• Like 1

I think QB's can elevate talent as much as talent can elevate QB's.

Example: Goff was really good in 2017/2018 when he had a good o-line, top running game and good play calling. Now that the line has declined, Gurley has declined and defensive coaches have caught on to McVay's system/playcalling he's nowhere near as good.

Carr was an MVP Candidate in 2016 when the Raiders had an elite O-line and fairly good WR's. Now he's considered the epitome of average when he has average offensive talent around him.

Wentz was an MVP candidate in 2017 when the Eagles had that unbelievable o-line. Foles stepped in and also balled out in the same offense. Neither has done anything spectacular since then.

Anyways I can go on, but the point is that any part of a team that is really strong can help mask/prop up weaker parts of the team. Having a really strong pass rush can mask a secondary that isn't good at covering, having good WR's or O-line can mask a not so great QB, a great QB can mask a bad o-line or WR core.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Lamar Jackson turns the 31st ranked rushing offense through 9 games under Flacco into the 2nd ranked offense to close out the year by averaging well over 200 yards a game.

So yeah I think a franchise QB can elevate his team.

527c89d4abc2603a9701e3d0a089f167.png

cc6efae49e2aac86657b5292e1ceb1bd.png

Doesn't count.

it's a joke

On November 18, 2019 at 11:41 AM, BayRaider said:

Absolutely 100% not a myth. The truly elite ones always elevate talent. Or they are just so good, they don’t need much talent around them might be a better way to look at it. 

- Russell Wilson right now, prime example. His awareness in the pocket and his mobility. 

- Tom Bradys intelligence, quick release, and dead on money accuracy. 

Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning. They all don’t need much talent to be successful. 

Whether it be just how good they are (Rodgers, etc) or specific skillsets (Romo with that ridiculous release).

Some will always need talent. Carr and Rivers for example. Carr is a Top 10 QB with elite protection. Bottom 7-8 without elite protection. Just his style of play. 

Rivers is a Top 5-8 QB with a solid offensive cast. He’s looked quite bad without talented offenses. 

Guess I disagree about Rivers  prior to this year. When he's had a solid OL like Brees and Brady, he was up there as one of those guys. Interesting that you mention Romo as one of those guys though.

Just now, Xenos said:

Guess I disagree about Rivers  prior to this year. When he's had a solid OL like Brees and Brady, he was up there as one of those guys. Interesting that you mention Romo as one of those guys though.

Doesn’t that prove my point? If you always need a Top Oline...

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Doesn’t that prove my point? If you always need a Top Oline...

Solid OL. Not top or elite. He doesn't need that level of protection like Carr. Look at 2013 as an example.

Edited by Xenos

Look at the Steelers this year. Their line was considered one of the best in the NFL last year. They did not lose any lineman but Big Ben went down for the year. The line looks like a shell of itself now. Good QB play and good coaching can cover a lot of warts. Another example is the Ravens without their current QB they are a very average team.