GDT 12/8/19 Week 14: 10-2 Baltimore Ravens vs 9-3 Buffalo Bills

DreamKid

We can’t pay them all, but we can’t afford to let Stanley go, so he is a lock to get whatever he wants.

Then we have Judon, Pierce, Jimmy Smith and Marcus Peters. I see no decline from Jimmy Smith so I hope we can work something out with him. Marcus Peters is really good at the right time, but I am still concerned with him and it is a red flag how two organisations have become so tired of him that they gave him up for nothing despite great production.

Judon sometimes seem like an idiot, but he is producing at just the right time for him. Such a versatile linebacker would be something we would be all over, if it wasn’t for his persona on social media. If what he shows this year is what we can expect the next 4-5 years, then we have to extend him.

That leaves Pierce as possibly the odd man out.

I can’t see a future with Jefferson here, so that might factor in on contracts, and Flacco should be completely off the books, so I hope we can extend players before free agency. While they rarely take discounts (and shouldn’t) I hope they see an opportunity to be part of something great for the next couple of years. Our front office can choose to either point in Zardarius Smiths direction to show best case scenario or to CJ Mosley for worst case scenario. I doubt Mosley think it is fun to be part of the Jets now rather than losing out on 1. Million and be part of the Ravens (can’t remember how much more he got with the Jets per year).

• Like 1

Just now, drd23 said:

We're all sick of Fouts and his BS, but was that comment about his family really necessary @DreamKid?

I purposefully made it so over the top that it came off as more absurd than anything. At least in my imo. Sometimes 'middle ground' vitriol can seem more grounded/plausible- thus worse. I'll admit my tolerance for Dark/Black humor might extend beyond others', but I think you're overreacting a bit. I mean, a 'beheading video on Christmas'? It's just nonsense tbh. Didn't mean to offend you or anything though, this stuff can be hit or miss depending on the person. Like someone else might be more triggered by my comment about Tony Siragusa and Fouts' wife lol 🤷. Oh well, fair play. I'll note this for the future.

• Like 1

I wasn't offended, but I did think it was in poor taste and certainly didn't conform to the "family friendly" ethos Webby wants around here.  Unfortunately with the internet you can never really know whether the more outlandish things said are sincere or joking so I think it best to lean towards the safe side.  

Hopefully we don't get stuck with the "#2 CBS crew" again this season although I don't like our chances.  I've had more than enough Fouts for the season

3 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Hopefully we don't get stuck with the "#2 CBS crew" again this season although I don't like our chances.  I've had more than enough Fouts for the season

IIRC We haven't had Tony Romo for single game this season. I know some don't like him, but I prefer him over the other options. And at least we'll get the better crews during the playoffs. So the sun will come up eventually.

53 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I wasn't offended, but I did think it was in poor taste and certainly didn't conform to the "family friendly" ethos Webby wants around here.  Unfortunately with the internet you can never really know whether the more outlandish things said are sincere or joking so I think it best to lean towards the safe side.  

Fouts also had our game against the Texans, right?

13 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Can we give all of Hill's carries to Gus going forward? 

Also, when's the Jets GT going up?

I think we still need to give him 4-5 touches a game - we just have to figure out how to do it the right way at the right time. Swing passes, tosses or downhill runs where he doesn't have to read to much. If he hits the homerun just 1-2 times in the playoffs he will set up us well, and the chances he rips off 50 or more yards on a run is greater than with Edwards or Ingram.

Did it seem to anyone else like we kept running play action fakes where the RB ran on the wrong side of Lamar, opposite of where he was faking the ball at? Seemed to happen among other places on both the Snead and Hurst TD's - where obviously it didn't matter - but the Bills were definitely able to blow up a bunch of passing plays as well by getting into the backfield quickly because the play fakes were busted and they didn't have to hold the edge before rushing. Maybe just emblematic of the fact that the offense wasn't really in sync at all but definitely the sort of thing we need to get cleaned up. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

10 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

What is Hayden Hurst not doing to be a huge part in our passing game? What am I missing? The boy got speed and glue hands... I'm not understanding. 

Hurst needs to improve his understanding of zone concepts, when to sit in a zone, how to manipulate defenders in a zone. How to essentially “hide” in a zone.

Hurst also needs to do a better job of attacking the ball at the catch point to protect the QB. With Andrews some people wonder why he always seems to go up for passes vs letting some just drop into the bread basket, but it’s a style of play that protects QBs from your Willie Snead type of plays yesterday. Snead isn’t accustomed to always attacking the ball at its highest point and so he was expecting a “perfect” pass, when it wasn’t that he couldn’t adjust. This is how Hurst is to a degree.

Which as a QB makes for a less than desirable target. It’s easier to trust the guy who attacks the football that worst case scenario can play defense against a receiver and best case scenario makes you look good for trusting in him.

Hurst having played baseball surely just needs to see more zone coverage and eventually he will likely develop in that aspect, he probably already has to a degree. If teams used more man coverage against the Ravens though he would be a lot more dangerous due to his athleticism and hands. Notice that when Jackson scrambles and throws those passes outside the hash marks he’s generally targeting Hurst.

Thats just what I’ve seen though. And once a QB loses confidence it’s hard to regain that trust. Andrews going down for a bit might Ultimately help to rebuild some of Jackson’s in-game trust in Hurst. What we would need to really see happen is Andrews sitting out and Hurst seeing some zone looks. Could be the perfect thing to “test out” against the Steelers in week 17 if we’ve got the seeding all locked up. Use the final game as somewhat of a preseason extension. Play the starters the entire first half, play smart, but practice a few concepts against a team already in playoff mode to see how our offensive pieces look and respond to one another. Then let RG3 take the entire second half.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

No excuses make it sound like they were gifted a great opportunity. 

After the Browns loss they played:

@ Steelers (8-5 now)
vs Bengals
@ Seahawks (10-2 pending SNF)
vs Patriots (10-3 we were coming off a bye)
@ Bengals (who were coming off a bye)
vs Texans (8-5 who were coming off a bye)
@ Rams (7-5 pending SNF)
vs 49ers (11-2 while we were on a short week)
@ Bills (9-4)

Beat them all. They've earned this opportunity more than any other team.

I agree with @BaltimoreTerp here. I understand it was a tough road to get to this point. But now the team is at this point, “Nobody cares, work harder.” Thats the motto, so who are we to not hold them to that standard as well. There’s no excuse to not get 2/3 games, especially with a schedule that has them playing a subpar team and then playing the Browns off what will essentially be an extended/quasi bye week for preparation and rest.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Could be the perfect thing to “test out” against the Steelers in week 17 if we’ve got the seeding all locked up. Use the final game as somewhat of a preseason extension. Play the starters the entire first half, play smart, but practice a few concepts against a team already in playoff mode to see how our offensive pieces look and respond to one another. Then let RG3 take the entire second half.

This is very dangerous. The Steelers will know we don't want anyone injured. So they will go cover-0 and blitz like crazy knowing we are averse to contact. They can likely go for head shots too. In a sport where teams can be a bully, it is very risky to go into a game with a passive, afraid to be injured attitude. Their goal will be for us to pull our starters early because we don't want to have a physical game.