GDT 12/8/19 Week 14: 10-2 Baltimore Ravens vs 9-3 Buffalo Bills

DreamKid

5 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

3 catches for -2 yards is just unacceptable for Brown (not saying it's his fault)

That screen play late in the game with Lamar throwing across his body to try and switch the field was one of the most bizarre play designs and calls I've seen in a while.

Don't know if they saw something on film this week but Roman was definitely on one this week, kept trying to do weird misdirection plays trying to get the defense going one way and then switching things to the opposite field and it just... wasn't working. Too cute by half. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

That screen play late in the game with Lamar throwing across his body to try and switch the field was one of the most bizarre play designs and calls I've seen in a while.

Don't know if they saw something on film this week but Roman was definitely on one this week, kept trying to do weird misdirection plays trying to get the defense going one way and then switching things to the opposite field and it just... wasn't working. Too cute by half. 

It wasn't a bad play design. We had FOUR offensive lineman in front of Brown and not a single guy blocked the 2 DL that were out there. It was poor execution, but also just a really weird time to pull it out.

I'm more surprised we didn't really try to take any deep shots with Hollywood given how many dudes Buffalo was putting in the box.

• Like 2

Good win against a good team on the road. I’m still steamed about that final drive, though. 

potential silver lining, Harbs can use this to drill into his guys how bull**** like that can arise at any time, so they need to put teams away big and early. 

23 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Hearty assist from the refs there but 2 wins out of 3 gets us HFA now. No excuses not to make this happen. 

No excuses make it sound like they were gifted a great opportunity. 

After the Browns loss they played:

@ Steelers (8-5 now)
vs Bengals
@ Seahawks (10-2 pending SNF)
vs Patriots (10-3 we were coming off a bye)
@ Bengals (who were coming off a bye)
vs Texans (8-5 who were coming off a bye)
@ Rams (7-5 pending SNF)
vs 49ers (11-2 while we were on a short week)
@ Bills (9-4)

Beat them all. They've earned this opportunity more than any other team.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I think they still send the starters out for a drive or two to keep on rhythm.

The problem is you have 7 players inactive for each game. If you dress all your starters, then you make the scrubs inactive. But then once you bench the starters, you can't put in the inactive players. 

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

The problem is you have 7 players inactive for each game. If you dress all your starters, then you make the scrubs inactive. But then once you bench the starters, you can't put in the inactive players. 

Fair and good point.  I would say at least half of that goes to anyone dealing with a minor injury that they could normally play through (maybe that's all seven spots). I would still like to see Lamar and other key guys (assuming near perfect health) still start the game and sit after a drive or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

What is Hayden Hurst not doing to be a huge part in our passing game? What am I missing? The boy got speed and glue hands... I'm not understanding. 

I think Hurst is somewhat a victim of Lamar and Mark Andrews connection. Lamar "knows" Andrews will be open  at some point which makes him hold on to the ball a little longer despite Hurst already has gained separation. I hope it is just a matter of time we use Hurst to exploit seams

• Like 1

This game was a real test for Raven fans' patience. The Refs, Fouts, and Roman calling an abortion of a game. NFL officiating seems to be at or near an all time low, and 90% of the time we seem to pay for their incompetence. [removed] I'm really wondering if Siragusa goosed down the guys' wife or something, cause his issues with the Ravens are at a comical level now. This was by far Roman's worst outing of the season, and I'm really hoping this isn't a preview of him 'opening up the playbook' more as we close out the season. 

On a positive note, I love what we got from some of the players this game. Tyus Bowser didn't come away with any Sacks, but I think he notched the most pressures he's ever had in one game today. And his coverage of underneath routes helped our other defenders get pressures and Sacks. Judon was on fire for stretches as well. Teams continue to play to his strengths every game, and he's continuing to find success. When freed up, his burst and intelligence let him rack up splash plays. So I hope our opponents continue to try and block him with Tight Ends or simply not block him at all lol. He's not a great in coverage, as a pure pass rusher, or as a run defender. Probably never will be either, but he's a very good defensive weapon. And he's going to get a big contract this offseason from someone else. Hayden Hurst was also in his bag today. We've been sitting on a nuclear bomb all season in Hurst, and it was nice to see him finally unleashed to some degree. The guy might have All-Time NFL hands, and his athleticism is top tier as well. He's consistently open against man or zone and leaving him off the field becomes a more dubious proposition each time we get a glimpse of his ability.

Then I thought guys like Chuck Clark and Josh Bynes had statement games today. Bynes being on the street during the regular season is frightening, and Chuck Clark might be one of the fastest rising names in the league. Frustrating day, but we came away with a W and are more battle tested as a result. The Bills are tough, were at home, had extra time to prepare, and the Refs likely had some money on them. Good building block game for us.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

No excuses make it sound like they were gifted a great opportunity. 

After the Browns loss they played:

@ Steelers (8-5 now)
vs Bengals
@ Seahawks (10-2 pending SNF)
vs Patriots (10-3 we were coming off a bye)
@ Bengals (who were coming off a bye)
vs Texans (8-5 who were coming off a bye)
@ Rams (7-5 pending SNF)
vs 49ers (11-2 while we were on a short week)
@ Bills (9-4)

Beat them all. They've earned this opportunity more than any other team.

strength of victory thus far 0.507, second to only the Chiefs (0.509) in the AFC.

well earned and then some. lets get business done Thursday and get a much needed extra few days of rest for these guys.