TACT XVIII: Zeke's Whacky Weekend Adventures

D82

1 minute ago, romo2bryant said:

Honestly it maybe more normal showing photos. A lot of my friends girls and guys, show photos of who they are talking to, stalk social networkings and stuff like that.

Right? Its a little weird for me because Im new to it, but Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat are 3 of the most popular websites in the world. And all 3 are just people posting their pictures for the world to see. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Right? Its a little weird for me because Im new to it, but Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat are 3 of the most popular websites in the world. And all 3 are just people posting their pictures for the world to see. 

Yeah, If i go into my text messages I could probably find 10-15 screenshots of who my friends have matched with on tinder and things like that. 

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

This pic was from her facebook. I dont mind sharing it, but only the PM that way I can kinda control it a little biit, haha

That's fine man. I really wasn't trying to get you to post it publicly or otherwise. But it looks like a few of us are a bit on the other side of the younger generation. I've never understood the carelessness that millennials have with there own privacy. I've been in IT for over 25 years. I do not have a Facebook, instagram, tweeter, or any other social account/presence on the internet. You won't find a pic of myself on the internet, at least that I know of. I just don't get it. The internet is forever. I tell my daughter that all the time. I can't stop her from posting selfies of herself (and I do not like it one bit) but I realize it's the way it is and I wont be able to stop her or change it. I just hope she is smart about it and for right now she does seem to be.

So if your new social friend (E) was concerned about privacy, or anyone else for that matter, why be on Tinder is what I meant earlier. *shrug*

I don't post anything on any of my social media accounts that I wouldn't want someone coming across. Nor do I include any sensitive information about myself. 

I mean...if anyone hacked my account(s), the only thing thing they'd really find out about me is that I'm a crazy dog person. 

12 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Im kind of the same way when it comes to privacy. If I post it online, id be open to anyone in the world seeing it. 

Like Slam's website that was found by someone on here a few years ago. It lives on in our memories forever.

I won't reactivate my fb, but I'm an intuitive man and I'm guessing if you are anxious to share her photo yet morally obligated not to.. She's an 8 or above. Or a 6 that has her selfie game on point. 

Either way. Anything above a 3 is good company at IHOP. toot it and boot it.

speaking of Facebook, there's a photo and associated thread getting shared around (which I won't link to but hopefully isn't too hard to find), where the following anecdote is provided:

Jerry Jones, Owner of the Dallas Cowboys called a meeting with all of his Coaches, Players and field staff and firmly told them, "You are all simply paid performers on a stage and that field is my stage! You will stand, with your hand over your heart and with respect, when our Country's National Anthem is being played or you will no longer be a Dallas Cowboy, a Coach for the Dallas Cowboys or have any association with the Dallas Cowboy Organization! I will immediately fire you, no matter who you are!"

Since you guys follow the sport and the Cowboys intently, and thus have seen/heard recent quotes from Jerry Jones in recent years, I trust you all are capable of realizing that this isn't a real quote. I mean Jerry just absolutely does not talk like that at all. It looks like bad movie dialogue. None of the gibberish or indiscernible analogies we've come to know and love from ol' Jer, and seriously, exclamation marks? Lol, come on. Moreover, the post was from over a year ago, (dated September 23, 2016) and just so happened to reenter the circulation of the Newsfeed, the story is obviously unsourced, etc. etc. Even Jerry in his present, semi-senile state knows he can't fire anyone and everyone from any practical standpoint. But based on the comments, most Americans would seem to not know this, or are just too moved by the sentiment to consider the logistics.

Watching people cannibalize themselves in that comments section is just incredible- a work of social art. I think 1 out of every 100 of the 50000+ comments even momentarily suggests that the quote might not be real. Amongst those that are skeptical, their doubt is more along the lines of "Yeah sure like's he gonna cut Dak/Zeke/Dez/Witten if they kneel yeah right we'll see what happens on Tuesday" rather than "It literally wouldn't be possible for him to 'fire' everyone under the salary cap" or "Why is thread conveniently resurrected from 9/23/16?" or "Is there any source at all for this?"

A significant portion of the comments are, more or less, "I wasn't a Cowboys fan before this but I am now!" or "I have newfound respect for Mr. Jones" which is cool, I guess, but I think in some ways illustrates that the player protests aren't a meaningful cause of the ratings drop-off in the last two years, because I can't envision any devoted NFL fan switching allegiances to the Cowboys of all teams over an unsourced anecdote. Lots more are just kind of putting the quote to the side to give their stance on the protests and/or Jerry and the Cowboys which I think is more valuable, but troubling. I honestly think everyone's viewpoint deserves some consideration as it's a reflection of their background and values; we're all human and deserve at least a basic level of respect for one another. But watching our fellow citizens get so worked up and polarized over a fabricated event is deeply concerning to me. My primary political leaning is pro-truth, and to me it seems our society is as anti-truth as ever, for deep-seeded reasons. I mean I saw one comment that prefaced with "After reading this article..." I mean what the **** constitutes an article these days???!?! It's a fake quote and a picture! There's no source! My God. No attention span at all.

Our society has been remodeled, at best, (torn apart at worst) by the clickbait news cycle and I fear it's irreparable. Reading that thread, I can only hope Facebook commenters are an inaccurate sampling of our society, writ large, which may be true. Moreover, it's a reminder to me that we all need to be careful about trusting our beliefs about that which we aren't well informed. I knew that quote was a fake instantaneously because I follow the Cowboys more closely than probably anyone commenting on that picture- but how many other things am I just slowly passing judgment on and/or allowing my preconceived, uninformed notions to aversely affect my perception? I have no idea and that's a problem.

So yeah, that's my $.02 on the protests. People will steadfastly believe whatever they want to believe and conform their surroundings to preconceived notions, and it's something that we all need to be wary of, because we can and will be divided by our differences by those that want that to happen.

Archived