The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

WindyCity

The problem is other than Robinson, we are in dire need of talent across the board on offense.

Even though Lamar Jackson is having a great year, you have to take a look at the personnel moves that the Ravens have made to build around their young QB. By drafting 2 TEs in the 2018 they really took a concerted effort to upgrade the position, notably by drafting Mark Andrews in the 3rd. You also add in an explosive playmaker in Hollywood Brown and they just dominate other teams with their combination of speed with Lamar and Brown and power with their offensive line and Mark Andrews. The Ravens along with the 49ers are one of the few teams that actually utilize a fullback.

When these teams trot out these offensive sets they are able to physically dominate teams with a weak front 7. Football is a game of matchups and even though I don't think they would put up too many points against us specifically, we have to design an offense to exploit the other teams weakness while using our strengths. The truth is offensively we have no identity. Other than Allen Robinson there is no player that we can consistently count on. In today's NFL one playmaker is not enough to win games. They can just double him on key third downs and goal line situations. This is why top tier WRs like Julio Jones aren't racking up 15+ TDs a year.

We have a great defense and they are playing surprisingly well considering how long they are on the field due to our inconsistent offense. Of course we need to consistently fine tune personnel so we don't experience the falloff like we did when Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, and Peppers left our team in a relative short amount of time. But I feel that we have a good core of players on defense to win a championship in the near future.

The problem is that when you play in the same division of an Aaron Rodgers caliber QB, our QB is always going to look bad. Mitch is a solid QB but that simply isn't good enough for our team. However, we are a little hamstrung to upgrade the position this offseason due to our lack of first round pick. So our best bet is to upgrade other positions and go all in on the 2021 QB class.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I think the QB and coaching issues go hand in hand.  Personally though it's hard for me to pin much of the blame on a 25 year old 3rd year starter who didn't have much experience coming into this league.

I think more than anything we have a personnel issue.  The o-line is not good and does not give Mitch enough time to feel comfortable nor does it help him out with any run game.  That's really tough when you think about it.

Whether it's Mitch or some other QB next year, Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy will not be able to save their job unless the o-line is much improved.  It all starts there.  I'm not convinced that any one of Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, and DeShaun Watson would be doing a whole lot better as the QB of this team right now, are you?

I can't even say anymore if the other QBs you mentioned would be better. Watching Mitch get over his funk has been an interesting situation. He has clearly been able to play better than he did the first 7 games. Why did it take this long to make this happen? 

I have to feel part of that is on Nagy and the coaching. He seems much more confident and sure of himself, and I think part of that is Nagy changing his scheme slightly. I was pretty impressed by some of his throws against the Packers.

We have to find a way to make Mitch successful next year. Let's spend money on the OL. I could care less about another OLB. If we can be a top 15 offensive and a top 10 defense we have a shot to make the playoffs next year. 

1) RT

2) OG

3) TE

4) OLB

5) CB

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

The problem is other than Robinson, we are in dire need of talent across the board on offense.

Nope. We need a somewhat better line, and a for real #1 TE. Also, if Nagy would realize Cohen is, for the most part, a liability in the standard offense, that would help a lot...

I wish Nagy would have tried to move the pocket and get Tru moving rather than standing back like a traditional QB. He had a lot of success  the last few weeks doing so then suddenly it all went out the door. What did they do, 3 or 4 bootlegs at most?

Nagy needs to utilize his talent to the best of their abilities, whether it means going big and power running, spread passing and trying to do a lot of stretches or whatever. But if you have something that works then don't just walk away from it. Hopefully he does a better job of that in 2020 with whoever he gets to add to the team. 

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

Watson’s produced more TDs at less INTs for sure but people think of him at Mahomes level and he’s not.

hes at Matt Ryan’s level IMO.

And Trubisky's at the level of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Eli Manning (the 116-117 career Manning, not the 2 rings one).

Give me Matt Ryan every Sunday. Comparing 6 games is pretty meaningless

Just now, beardown3231 said:

And Trubisky's at the level of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Eli Manning (the 116-117 career Manning, not the 2 rings one).

Give me Matt Ryan every Sunday. Comparing 6 games is pretty meaningless

Agreed we screwed up with the pick, but we didn’t miss on a guaranteed HOF QB.

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Alright now do careers

I understand being upset about Mahomes, but Watson has had the pleasure of throwing to Deandre Hopkins, arguably the best receiver in the game.  No offense to A Rob, but there's nothing on this team that resembles that guy.  I feel like switch Watson and Mitch and the results would the same for both teams

14 hours ago, WindyCity said:
Trubisky’s QB rating in last six games:

Watson's rating over last six games:

Those are not wildly different.

Yes, but the eye test makes the difference more vast.  

8 hours ago, GBHalas said:

I understand being upset about Mahomes, but Watson has had the pleasure of throwing to Deandre Hopkins, arguably the best receiver in the game.  No offense to A Rob, but there's nothing on this team that resembles that guy.  I feel like switch Watson and Mitch and the results would the same for both teams

No way.

Trubisky has the benefit of a great defense and a better OL. Houston's line is god awful. Their #2 receiver is also never on the field.

One guy isn't making the difference. 

I think Daniels terrible year is a one off.  He showed too much talent in year one to have that kind of drop off.

But that only leaves you with two good OL in 2020.  It is a major need.  We haven’t drafted a true OT early in a very long time and bill is coming due.

I think the main thing that killed 2019 was OL/TE being awful for most of year and that made a young, average QB look terrible.