New England Patriots Spygate 2.0?

RuskieTitan

37 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Another nothing story about the Pats being celebrated by misinformed fans and haters. Color me surprised :). 

I mean I believe this along with deflate gate are absurd. The fact that Brady got suspended for that was asanine.

But they bring it on themselves, even if it’s stupid things like this. It’s funny tbqh

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

I disagree. Very clearly they are pointing out that the filmers were independent contractors and not part of the organization

Devil's Advocate here - wouldn't this be the way to do it if you were trying to do it again? You know, independent contractors and plausable deniability?

Conspiracy theory... sure. But worth noting. If you got caught doing something against the rules and if you decided to do it again, you'd do it via a proxy. Right?

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Devil's Advocate here - wouldn't this be the way to do it if you were trying to do it again? You know, independent contractors and plausable deniability?

Conspiracy theory... sure. But worth noting. If you got caught doing something against the rules and if you decided to do it again, you'd do it via a proxy. Right?

Plus independent contractor's avoid employer FICA taxes. Sounds we may have another scandal where Kraft is cheating on his taxes.

• Like 1

Anyone decrying "CHEATERS!" this early into the investigation just want it to be true so it can validate their wild and emotional hatred for the Patriots. Calm down.

Also if you were going to risk getting caught filming a team as a Patriot employee, would you risk the blowout of a second Spygate on the BENGALS?!

12 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

Anyone decrying "CHEATERS!" this early into the investigation just want it to be true so it can validate their wild and emotional hatred for the Patriots. Calm down.

Also if you were going to risk getting caught filming a team as a Patriot employee, would you risk the blowout of a second Spygate on the BENGALS?!

Do they really deserve the benefit of the doubt?

• Like 3

Just now, lolsurebro said:

I'm really not going to get into this but apparently I am just because I don't like these defensive posts that don't really make sense.  The PATRIOTS admitted they violated league policy.  Not some reporter, not some fan, not some talking head on Twitter.  The PATRIOTS acknowledged they violated league policy. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/09/patriots-admit-video-crew-violated-league-policy-say-it-was-unintentional/

This is dumb, too.  It's a faulty excuse.  That's like a shoplifter who stole a candy bar saying, "If I was going to steal I'd steal something more expensive."  Additionally, in the scenario of the Patriots spying again, it makes MORE sense for them to do this to the Bengals than half the other teams in the league. 

As we know from before, the Patriots were filming for a very long time.  Every team.  When a team gets a new head coach, they get new signals.  If Belichick was retiring after this year, yeah, you'd imagine he'd not film a 1 win team.  Since he's not retiring, it makes more sense that he'd try to get signals from this team now in the event they get better in the future.

So neither excuse is really valid.  Neither point you made is valid. 

I'm not saying anything about whether or not I think the Patriots are guilty or anything, I just take issue with these points. 

To reiterate, I'm not commenting on the whole thing overall, just these two points.

1. When you've been accused of cheating for the past 20 years and the commissioner destroyed evidence to protect you, you have to expect fans presume the Patriots to be cheaters.  This isn't some former Patriots employee sitting with a cell phone in the stands, this is someone hired by the Patriots filming a coaching staff for 8 minutes AFTER the documentary crew had already finished. 

2. It doesn't matter if it's the Bengals or the Ravens.  Patriots filming anybody is a bad look, and it stands to reason that if they have been doing this, they'd want to do it more so for teams they don't have any material on more than teams they do. 

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And we all know Robert Kraft loves "independent contractors".

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

You would have patience if a rapist got caught in a sex scandal after he got out of jail? Lmao

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It doesn't matter if it's the Bengals or the Ravens.  Patriots filming anybody is a bad look, and it stands to reason that if they have been doing this, they'd want to do it more so for teams they don't have any material on more than teams they do.

This is probably the most apt thing to say about the situation. Had this been anyone else, you could brush it off as happenstance.

This is a team with a track record of doing this, so it's never going to look good on the surface.