Week 15 GDT - Atlanta Falcons at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Ugh sour mood today. I know it's good angry fuel for the team so they can use that to beat the Rams on Saturday but still....

Turned of Cowherd just now as I'm tired of hearing about a) Russell Wilson is his MVP and b) The Cowboys

Anyway, I'm still hopeful for the # 1 seed and again hopefully this fuels them. Maybe that tough 3 game stretch caught up with them + injuries + thinking they would just be the Falcons....

7 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

Ugh sour mood today. I know it's good angry fuel for the team so they can use that to beat the Rams on Saturday but still....

Turned of Cowherd just now as I'm tired of hearing about a) Russell Wilson is his MVP and b) The Cowboys

Anyway, I'm still hopeful for the # 1 seed and again hopefully this fuels them. Maybe that tough 3 game stretch caught up with them + injuries + thinking they would just be the Falcons....

Honestly, losing this game really doesn't mean anything other than the Rams game is a must win. We win the next 2 and we're the number one seed. Yesterday's game was a really bizarre game. The offense was really constricted for some reason and the defense was playing its softest coverage all season. I really don't understand what happened, but at no point this season did the 49ers look this bad. To me, this was the exception, not the rule. 

The Rams will be owned on Saturday and we will be heading to Seattle for the Prime-time, SNF match up with a healthy George Kittle, which we did not have last match up. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Honestly, losing this game really doesn't mean anything other than the Rams game is a must win. We win the next 2 and we're the number one seed. Yesterday's game was a really bizarre game. The offense was really constricted for some reason and the defense was playing its softest coverage all season. I really don't understand what happened, but at no point this season did the 49ers look this bad. To me, this was the exception, not the rule. 

The Rams will be owned on Saturday and we will be heading to Seattle for the Prime-time, SNF match up with a healthy George Kittle, which we did not have last match up. 

Yeah, the important thing is, the team still controls it's own destiny. So if we don't end up with the division or the #1 seed, it's only on themselves. Tough couple of matchups to make it happen though. I don't love the matchup with the Rams this week, and I like the matchup at Seattle even less.

If you discount the #1 seed, this game on Saturday isn't even meaningful for the division, which is kind of funny. 

34 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Honestly don't think we where any softer than we have been so far this year. Biggest difference is playing against a guy like Jones who doesn't need much space to be effective and not having Sherman who reads a QB quicker than Moseley does. We play soft on the backside all the time and give the Offense the underneath stuff all game. QB's like Ryan and Brees just take that stuff all day where a guy like Goff gets impatient and will try to do more than what's there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly don't think we where any softer than we have been so far this year. Biggest difference is playing against a guy like Jones who doesn't need much space to be effective and not having Sherman who reads a QB quicker than Moseley does. We play soft on the backside all the time and give the Offense the underneath stuff all game. QB's like Ryan and Brees just take that stuff all day where a guy like Goff gets impatient and will try to do more than what's there.

The difference between the Falcons game and every other game is that when a receiver gets the ball, one of our corners is right on him to make the immediate tackle or break up the pass. Yesterday, Jones had more space than any other receiver we faced all season. It was absurd the amount of space he was getting. Mosely has been very aggressive and sticky with his coverage when he's on the field, except for yesterday. The coverage gave away the game yesterday, which is extraordinarily out of character for this team. I don't know what was up yesterday, but that WAS NOT the team we've been watching all season. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I thought he looked bad in pass pro, but honestly, Person really struggled, so it's hard to get a bead on the center when your guard struggles so much. I saw Laken get beat once, I think, but Person had some mighty struggles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Yeah, the important thing is, the team still controls it's own destiny. So if we don't end up with the division or the #1 seed, it's only on themselves. Tough couple of matchups to make it happen though. I don't love the matchup with the Rams this week, and I like the matchup at Seattle even less.

If you discount the #1 seed, this game on Saturday isn't even meaningful for the division, which is kind of funny. 

I was thinking that with the Rams too. The first go around the Rams were different. I mean they got slaughtered yesterday but who knows. 

For Seattle, I'll keep harping on the fact that they eventually have to beat them in Seattle.....eventually...lol. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

I was thinking that with the Rams too. The first go around the Rams were different. I mean they got slaughtered yesterday but who knows. 

For Seattle, I'll keep harping on the fact that they eventually have to beat them in Seattle.....eventually...lol. 

The bolded is a pretty ugly history for us. We haven't beat the Seahawks in Seattle since Week 1 of the 2011 season. That was also the last season that we swept the Seahawks. Currently, our record against Seattle since 2011 is as follows:

Overall: 5-13  -168 point differential

In San Francisco: 4-5  -14 point differential

In Seattle: 1-8  -134 point differential

Clearly, we haven't fared too well against the Seahawks for the past 9 years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The bolded is a pretty ugly history for us. We haven't beat the Seahawks in Seattle since Week 1 of the 2011 season. That was also the last season that we swept the Seahawks. Currently, our record against Seattle since 2011 is as follows:

Overall: 5-13  -168 point differential

In San Francisco: 4-5  -14 point differential

In Seattle: 1-8  -134 point differential

Clearly, we haven't fared too well against the Seahawks for the past 9 years. 

Ugh I know and it's so frustrating which I why I'm like well maybe now is the time? Maybe for one Sunday they will don those AFC Seahawk outfits and just not be good that day...lol. 

11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, sorry I don't see that. When asked if he thought about going for it, he said yes, but saw it was closer to being 4th and 2 than 4th and 1. He wanted to see the Falcons go the entire field to win. That applies if it is a five point lead or six point lead. 

Back to back games we have had 9 point leads in the 4th quarter and have allowed teams to score two consecutive TDs. Embarrassingly bad. 

You expect a coach to give you an accurate statement about his strategy after the game? I wouldn't always take it at face value. 

What do you expect him to say? "Oh yeah if my kicker didn't **** up then I would have gone for it and we would have won" lol 

1 point there changes everything imo. 

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

You expect a coach to give you an accurate statement about his strategy after the game? I wouldn't always take it at face value. 

What do you expect him to say? "Oh yeah if my kicker didn't **** up then I would have gone for it and we would have won" lol 

1 point there changes everything imo. 

Could change everything correct. But his argument against going for it was that it was closer to being 4th and 2 and he wanted the Falcons having to go down the field and beat us with a TD. That holds true if it is a five point lead or a six point lead. And Shanahan is as blunt as they come at his pressers, I don't think he would be lying here. Maybe if up three he's a bit more comfortable going for it, but again it wasn't a 4th and short 1 situation here. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Could change everything correct. But his argument against going for it was that it was closer to being 4th and 2 and he wanted the Falcons having to go down the field and beat us with a TD. That holds true if it is a five point lead or a six point lead. And Shanahan is as blunt as they come at his pressers, I don't think he would be lying here. Maybe if up three he's a bit more comfortable going for it, but again it wasn't a 4th and short 1 situation here. 

That's fair and we can only go off of what is said post game, but in my opinion that was Kyle downplaying his decision there and trying not to get the media/fans to focus on that singular decision as to why we lost. Partly, because there was no decision to make. Up 2, you have to kick with that much time left. 

If he came out and said "if we were up by more than 2 I would have gone for it", then Gould would be taking a lot of heat. He's already taking heat for missing so much this year, so no need to add to it tbh 

Just my take on it, could be wrong