TNF: For Whom the Bell Bowls (balt v nyj)

Malfatron

winner  

21 members have voted

1. 1. winner

Here is the honest truth about Lamar Jackson. He is the best 'RB' taken in the 2018 draft. What he is able to do as a running QB is a major catalyst to Baltimores success as a team and Harbaughs success as a coach.

He has shown the desire to keep improving.

As a passer, when his throwing attempts are limited, his pass % is excellent. He can make all of the easy NFL throws.

Defenses play too far inside next to the DL against Baltimore which, with his speed, allows Jackson to out run LBs to the side lines.

If they were to play further outside, forcing him to run closer to the edge of the DL, we may see a less successful run rate from him (no way to know for sure because it doesnt happen, DCs outside of Pittsburgh apparently arent smart enough).

We dont ACTUALLY know how good of a Passing QB he is because he hasnt faced a lot of pressure and hasnt had to make many, if any, difficult throws. That's a credit to the Baltimore OL though.

So with all this hype, understably so, it's still very possible that his career goes in either direction. Let us not forget, as great of a runner as Vick was, he didnt have much post season success. He wasn't ACTUALLY that good of a passing QB. He got by on arm strength against average DBs.

As a runner, Lamar is as good as it gets. As a passer, let's hold off on passing too positive or too negative of a judgement, the jury should still be out. He is deserving of the MVP, but Cam Newton won that award once too....and Cam Newton has always been overrated.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If they were to play further outside, forcing him to run closer to the edge of the DL, we may see a less successful run rate from him (no way to know for sure because it doesnt happen, DCs outside of Pittsburgh apparently arent smart enough).

And then Mark Ingram and Gus Edwards go for 150 yards. There's a reason why they can't play further outside.

Lamar has made plenty of great throws this season, find a new slant.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

And then Mark Ingram and Gus Edwards go for 150 yards. There's a reason why they can't play further outside.

Lamar has made plenty of great throws this season, find a new slant.

'Great throws' dont necessarily equate to difficult ones so we can agree to disagree there.

Also Its possible to limit the RBs AND Lamar. Against Pittsburgh those 3 didnt even get 150 yards combined. What I said, whether you want to accept it or not, is completely true. At no point did I suggest Lamar isnt a good QB. But we have NOT seen enough from him this season to say one way or another how good of a passing QB he truly is or is not. What I will say is that he has a very good comp %, a lot of attempts and an excellent TD/Int ratio, but he is also among the least pressured QBs in the league. He might very well be an extremely prolific passing QB. I'm just not ready to pass an ultimate judgement on him one way or another and that is not an attempt to take away any credit from him for his success.

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So the narrative is going from "he can't pass" to now "He just makes easy throws all the time to wide open guys?"

Really? JFC people find something else to be horrible at evaluating, because if this is making "easy throws", you're insane.

People are waiting in the wings for when Lamar eventually has a bad game to say "I told you so." No amount of proficiency will sway them. He could win the next 6 Super Bowls and MVPs then have a bad year right after that and people will say it's proof he's not actually good.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Malik said:

People are waiting in the wings for when Lamar eventually has a bad game to say "I told you so." No amount of proficiency will sway them. He could win the next 6 Super Bowls and MVPs then have a bad year right after that and people will say it's proof he's not actually good.

Dude is going to win MVP this year and there were actually people in this very thread saying Lamar hasn't played good against good defenses. Sometimes I feel like NFL Gen is a lost cause and that you can get better takes looking at Youtube comments.

5 minutes ago, Malik said:

Nope. Every QB has a bad game. If Lamar has a bad game, at best it might show other teams how to defend him. You cant judge a guy based on a single season (I get this is his sophomore season but it's his first full starting season) and you sure as hell cant judge someone just because they have a bad game. 

As far as a 'bad year's context matters. What I mean is, if the TEAM has a bad year, you cant just make that decide Lamar isnt good. If Lamar looks flat out bad despite plenty of OL protection and open receivers, it's a debate worth having but, just as 1 good season doesnt mean he is great, 1 bad season shouldnt mean he is trash. If he wins a Super bowl in the next 6 years, it's more than likely because he IS as good as ppl think he is. He COULD win one this year.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Dude is going to win MVP this year and there were actually people in this very thread saying Lamar hasn't played good against good defenses. Sometimes I feel like NFL Gen is a lost cause and that you can get better takes looking at Youtube comments.

I dont think he hasnt played "good" against good defenses. He hasnt been as dominant and the majority of his mistakes have come against good defenses but is that really a statement in a limited # of games and mistakes to hang your hat on?

He made multiple mistakes against Pittbsurgh. It's a FREAKING DIVISION GAME. Brady has made multiple mistakes against Pittsburgh as has Peyton Manning. Does this mean they're not getting into the HOF?

I think you see where I'm going with that. It takes more than a single season, it takes more than a couple seasons to determine truly whether a player is good.

Baker Mayfield is a prime example. Had a very good year last year overall, having a bad year this year. What should we take out of that other than the fact rhe entire team has had major failures? 

19 minutes ago, Ryan_W said:

he played the whole game even when they were up by 29?

trying to give that coach of the year award to Shanahan I see

What are you talking about? I was at the game, Lamar was sat with 7min left in the game. That’s half the 4th quarter. And the Jets closed it to 21 points. This take is completely wrong.

19 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I think you see where I'm going with that. It takes more than a single season, it takes more than a couple seasons to determine truly whether a player is good.

Baker Mayfield is a prime example. Had a very good year last year overall, having a bad year this year. What should we take out of that other than the fact rhe entire team has had major failures? 

No it doesn't, to be completely honest. If you can't look at Lamar Jackson - who has 4,000 total yards, 40 TD's, and 7 turnovers on the year and is gonna win MVP - and say 'that player is good,' then I just don't know what to tell you. We don't need to wait a half decade just to weigh in. This isn't that difficult.  You can wait several years before saying someone is on a Hall of Fame path, or whatever analysis you want to do in terms of career legacy and such, fine. But this idea that excellence is just greeted with 'no actually do it again next year and the year after' is just absurd to me. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why do you even let it get to you? Let people have their stupid opinions.

You know he's good. I know he's good. The vast majority of informed people agree he's good. That should be enough.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

No it doesn't, to be completely honest. If you can't look at Lamar Jackson - who has 4,000 total yards, 40 TD's, and 7 turnovers on the year and is gonna win MVP - and say 'that player is good,' then I just don't know what to tell you. We don't need to wait a half decade just to weigh in. This isn't that difficult. 

People after watching Baker for 3 games: "Wow this dude is REALLY good!"

People after watching Lamar for over 16 games: "Maybe we should just wait 3 more years here..."