Xbox Series X

showtime

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Gamepass dropped 2K21 for free. Last gen though. But beats paying $70 for new gen which is just mostly a graphics update. 

Gamepass has been killin it this month. Between that Bethesda drop and the Mass Effect Remaster I’m good til the fall probably.

Microsoft looking to buy Discord for 10 billion. Would be cool to finally get some Discord integration. I know a lot of people that primarily play on Xbox and to talk with PC players, we have to use the Xbox/Windows party system. Not terrible, but also pretty cumbersome to use in comparison.

10 billion though... the blockbuster ZeniMax deal was "only" 7.5 billion. Really puts into perspective how big/powerful Microsoft as a company is. Also makes you wonder why they didn't acquire a studio like ZeniMax earlier. I guess gaming/Xbox is such a small droplet of revenue when compared to their Windows/Office/Azure part of the business.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 12:25 AM, elevators_rule said:

Microsoft looking to buy Discord for 10 billion. Would be cool to finally get some Discord integration. I know a lot of people that primarily play on Xbox and to talk with PC players, we have to use the Xbox/Windows party system. Not terrible, but also pretty cumbersome to use in comparison.

10 billion though... the blockbuster ZeniMax deal was "only" 7.5 billion. Really puts into perspective how big/powerful Microsoft as a company is. Also makes you wonder why they didn't acquire a studio like ZeniMax earlier. I guess gaming/Xbox is such a small droplet of revenue when compared to their Windows/Office/Azure part of the business.

Yeah it’s crazy how much money they have. And like the fact that these two wouldn’t even stop them from more this year is just ridiculous.

This is really the first period of time Microsoft is like 100% behind Xbox and it certainly shows.

I think discord having broader applications beyond gaming is helping them make this decision so soon off the backs of Zenimax. Buys them a big lead in networking and community.

Curious how fast they’d integrate it into the Xbox network. Overhauling party chat, communities, Looking for Group would be big for a lot of people. Heard one person speculate you could do like Halo BTB and have matchmaking just be from your discord group for like streamers. Stuff like that. But just having a strong universal app for this stuff will help the play anywhere mantra they are pushing.

Personally it doesn’t really affect the games I play and can’t see the benefits for me personally. Would rather them spend that $10 billion elsewhere like making more studios. But I get it on a full Microsoft scale I guess.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah it’s crazy how much money they have. And like the fact that these two wouldn’t even stop them from more this year is just ridiculous.

This is really the first period of time Microsoft is like 100% behind Xbox and it certainly shows.

I think discord having broader applications beyond gaming is helping them make this decision so soon off the backs of Zenimax. Buys them a big lead in networking and community.

Curious how fast they’d integrate it into the Xbox network. Overhauling party chat, communities, Looking for Group would be big for a lot of people. Heard one person speculate you could do like Halo BTB and have matchmaking just be from your discord group for like streamers. Stuff like that. But just having a strong universal app for this stuff will help the play anywhere mantra they are pushing.

Personally it doesn’t really affect the games I play and can’t see the benefits for me personally. Would rather them spend that $10 billion elsewhere like making more studios. But I get it on a full Microsoft scale I guess.

When you have a market cap value of $1.78 trillion, spending $10 billion on a good investment that will very likely make them even more money is pretty much a no brainer.

28 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

When you have a market cap value of $1.78 trillion, spending $10 billion on a good investment that will very likely make them even more money is pretty much a no brainer.

Yep, they gotta spend it on something. I think this could be some echoing from them not buying twitch. They fought hard to get Mixer to the point where it was at, in some ways was doing things better than twitch, but the audience wasn’t going to move over and they just called it. If you can buy a market leader that will make you your money back and make other assets/divisions you own better it’s a pretty easy sell.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Surprised it’s only 90 minutes considering it’s a combo show. But excited to see it.

I’d expect bigger deep dives for Halo and Starfield later on (unless Starfield does actually launch this year which seems less likely now)

But between

• Halo Infinite 
  • Avowed
  • Forza Horizon
  • Hellblade 2 and/or their other project 
  • Starfield
  • Arkane’s rumored Vampire game
  • Wolfenstein 3
  • Maybe Compulsion’s game finally 
  • (Less likely Fable, Perfect Dark, Inxile’s RPG, id’s next game)
  • Announcements of some of these 3rd party games they are producing.
  • 3rd party marketing deals
  • Bigger indies like Moon Studios and Playdead showing off their next game.

It’s plenty to pack in

• 3 weeks later...

Another year, and more acquisitions…

Rumors (which seem to be mostly speculation) are Crytek (Crysis, Ryse), IO interactive (Hitman, upcoming 007 game) and Avalanche Studios (Just Cause, Mad Max)

IO and Avalanche both already had rumored  Xbox exclusives in the works. If you follow any of this it’s Project Dragon 🐉  and Project Typhoon 🌀 respectively. So it’s not entirely out of left field.

In other news they confirmed xCloud is ready to fully launch everywhere this fall. Browsers, on the Xbox (auto play features) on the desktop app. TV apps will be launching for it and some official hdmi stick from Xbox will happen.