Xbox Series X

showtime

• 3 weeks later...

Eww, that shield hit graphic looks super ugly IMO. Everything else looks solid, it looks like a Halo game, but that also slightly concerns me. I don't know what they can do or should do, but I doubt this really entices new fans, you know?

I don't care too much personally since I mostly just care about SP now, but yea...

3 hours ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

Eww, that shield hit graphic looks super ugly IMO. Everything else looks solid, it looks like a Halo game, but that also slightly concerns me. I don't know what they can do or should do, but I doubt this really entices new fans, you know?

I don't care too much personally since I mostly just care about SP now, but yea...

The enticing part to new fans is that it's F2P. Everyone could give it a shot and then decide whether or not they like it. Plus, forge mode should keep groups coming back to it for some time, even if it's only every now and then.

With that being said, I agree overall. I think the age of 'arena' shooters seems to be behind us. Most people nowadays seem to prefer either battle royale or tactical shooters. Everything else ends up dying within a few months time. I think Halo will have it's own community that sticks to it as always, but outside of that the game will become quiet within 1-2 months after release. If they end up releasing a BR down the road, though, that could be big.

3 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

The enticing part to new fans is that it's F2P. Everyone could give it a shot and then decide whether or not they like it. Plus, forge mode should keep groups coming back to it for some time, even if it's only every now and then.

With that being said, I agree overall. I think the age of 'arena' shooters seems to be behind us. Most people nowadays seem to prefer either battle royale or tactical shooters. Everything else ends up dying within a few months time. I think Halo will have it's own community that sticks to it as always, but outside of that the game will become quiet within 1-2 months after release. If they end up releasing a BR down the road, though, that could be big.

Yup.

The game looks good (looks like Halo), but it's def not something I would spend $60. The fact that it's free with Game Pass means I'll try Game Pass on PC to try it out.

4 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

Wonder when they’ll be expanding on the modes. They said that’s coming at some point.

Personally I’m ready for more arena type MP to come back, jumping into giant matches where you barely see anyone and get sniped from afar isn’t all that fun to me. And big team battle was always so fun with the vehicles.

I think it was smart of them to not do a Royale out the gate, the market is so saturated.

12 hours ago, showtime said:

Yup.

The game looks good (looks like Halo), but it's def not something I would spend $60. The fact that it's free with Game Pass means I'll try Game Pass on PC to try it out.

It's actually not even just free with Game Pass, it's free overall. So even on other platforms like Steam it's completely free. A really smart move on Microsoft IMO.

I think the campaign is the part that's $60(?) without Game Pass, but I doubt anyone who's not already a huge Halo fan cares much about that.

11 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Wonder when they’ll be expanding on the modes. They said that’s coming at some point.

Personally I’m ready for more arena type MP to come back, jumping into giant matches where you barely see anyone and get sniped from afar isn’t all that fun to me. And big team battle was always so fun with the vehicles.

I think it was smart of them to not do a Royale out the gate, the market is so saturated.

True, it'll also add a huge spark of relevance to the game whenever it's released. It's almost like they'll benefit from the marketing of two separate releases. If they added it at launch, though, that effect would be mitigated. Way smarter to add it later, especially if it gives them even more time to refine it.

• 3 weeks later...

By sheer dumb luck, I had decided to get the Xbox Series S via the All-Access program and it gives me Game Pass Ultimate for two years as well.

Anyway, I genuinely didn't encounter a single problem the whole way. 

I ordered it on 8/14, with a delivery date of 8/24, but it's on it's way today and will be here by tomorrow for sure. I later found out that Walmart got a shipment of the consoles on 8/12.  

The Series S aren't all that hard to find at this point but now that I have been researching it seems like a lot of people struggled to get theirs all summer.

Been hearing a lot of good things, the original is on Gamepass like this one but apparently they catch you up and there are a bunch of YouTube videos that will give you the like 10 minute overview if you want more.

Been a bit since I played a 3D platformer. Glad this has so much story to go with it.

Double Fine was one of the studio acquisitions I was most happy with. They do so much stuff with their own unique take, but they stay small and had to basically mortgage the company with each game they did. Like Obsidian and a lot others they bought too. It helped DF finish this game how they wanted too, apparently they were going to cut levels and abilities before they got bought.