Why don't starting QB's get subbed out more with big leads?

Tetsujin

I'd be watching games with a team up by 3 scores half way through the 3rd Q, and QB1 is still in the game. The QB2 is experienced and not awful, the D is playing well, so why keep QB1 in for so long, sometimes until the final drive), subjecting them to more hits and such?

3 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I'd be watching games with a team up by 3 scores half way through the 3rd Q, and QB1 is still in the game. The QB2 is experienced and not awful, the D is playing well, so why keep QB1 in for so long, sometimes until the final drive), subjecting them to more hits and such?

We've seen 3 score leads with 20 minutes to go evaporate plenty of times before, and that's WITH the starting QB still in.

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

So the Falcons should have benched Matt Ryan in the SB?

You have to have much >99% change of winning the game to go to the backup. You just CAN'T lose a game because you stopped trying to win. Individual games are too important in the NFL.

I'm not talking about a SB.

The starting QB could always go back in. 

5 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Your standard for a regular season game being "safe" is not nearly high enough. You can't be THAT protective of your starting QB, you have to chance that they can play out games.

Edited by wackywabbit

4 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

You don’t “go back in” in a football game as a QB. You sit down and get out of a rhythm and you lose because you couldn’t get back in one, would make no sense.

This is like in basketball taking a player who is on fire and putting him on the bench and then telling him, okay go back out there. Doesn’t work that way. When in a groove you ride it out until obliteration. 4-5 scores with a quarter to go is the only time you take that chance of removing your QB.

• Like 1

1. If you are on the winning side, you don't want some inexperienced guy to make a stupid mistake that gives the other team a chance. Belichick pulled Brady against the Jets earlier in the year and the backup made two giant errors that gave the chance a chance. QB's such a steep decline after the starters and touching the ball every play makes it high risk. 

2. If you are on the losing side, you can't just give up. You only do that if your actual QB is playing like **** and you are trying anything to try to win

9 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Dude that's not even close to a safe lead. Teams have come back from that far down at that point in the game many teams.

Only time you should be pulling a QB is if it's like 42-3 halfway through the 4th quarter.