Week 17 GDT - 49ers @ Seahawks

N4L

Who wins?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• 49ers
    • Seahawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/30/2019 at 01:20 AM

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I don't think so.  I don't think there's any team that's head and shoulders best in the NFC.  Could really make a strong case for the Niners, Saints and Packers as the three top teams.  Hell, even Seattle has held the #1 seed at moments.... I think as recently as a week or two ago they did.  I think it's up in the air.

Pretty much all of the Packers forum would beg to disagree there. They mostly benefitted from the easiest schedule (lowest SOS I believe) and a good bit of luck in the injury department. They shouldn't be discussed in the same tier as those other two. 

3 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

After that game, I just gotta say this year is the 49ers year.  If they don't make it, it'll be a huge disappointment.

Nah. The last five weeks the 49ers have essentially become like Seattle hanging by the skin of their teeth. The defense is doo doo now. Winning close games week after week isn't championship football. We'll see what happens. Saints look like the best NFC team.

15 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Nah. The last five weeks the 49ers have essentially become like Seattle hanging by the skin of their teeth. The defense is doo doo now. Winning close games week after week isn't championship football. We'll see what happens. Saints look like the best NFC team.

Who will have to play 3 games, and 2 on the road, and SF dodges them no matter how WC weekend goes.  

If SF had to go back to NO, I don't see them repeating a road W.   But NO on the road 2x?  And playing the extra week?  Man, I dunno.

I don't think SF will have a better chance than they do now - Sanders isn't likely sticking around, and while the injuries hurt to Alexander and their run stuffers, their key core guys elsewhere are back & healthy.  It's almost impossible to avoid some injuries, but the key is getting the right guys in there, and the timing about facing opponents who don't exploit those weaknesses nearly as well.    That's where this seems like a magical season for the 49ers.  I mean, I dunno what the win probability is after that completion to the 1-yard line with 45 secs left and a dog-tired D facing Russell Wilson & Beast Mode, but it's not in double-digits....

Edited by Broncofan

27 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Who will have to play 3 games, and 2 on the road, and SF dodges them no matter how WC weekend goes.  

If SF had to go back to NO, I don't see them repeating a road W.   But NO on the road 2x?  And playing the extra week?  Man, I dunno.

I don't think SF will have a better chance than they do now - Sanders isn't likely sticking around, and while the injuries hurt to Alexander and their run stuffers, their key core guys elsewhere are back & healthy.  It's almost impossible to avoid some injuries, but the key is getting the right guys in there, and the timing about facing opponents who don't exploit those weaknesses nearly as well.    That's where this seems like a magical season for the 49ers.  I mean, I dunno what the win probability is after that completion to the 1-yard line with 45 secs left and a dog-tired D facing Russell Wilson & Beast Mode, but it's not in double-digits....

Don't think New Orleans has to worry about it. If I have to guess right now, I'd say Seattle beats Philly, then beats us before losing to GB/NO in the finals. 

The defense is pretty brutal now. Can't create any real pressure and doesn't get sacks, and while the offense is good, they still struggle with finishing, so I'm not going to bank on winning nothing but shootouts. We also don't create turnovers. It could be better with health returning in two weeks, can only hope for the best with that. 

Also wouldn't be so sure about Manny going. I'd actually bet on him being back if forced to choose either or right now. It's a great fit for him and the team, the team knows what he has meant to the offense, etc. 

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Maybe, but Saints have to play three games, and potentially two on the road.  And one of them in Antarctica.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The bye week was sorely needed, we haven't had a bye since week 4. And the 2nd half of our season was one of the toughest stretches, having to face GB, NO, BAL, LAR, SEA X2 for 6 of our last 8 games. Its been some tough competition and we couldn't miss a beat. But our last 5 games have seemingly all come down to the last play. Honestly, we might have like 4 or 5 of the most entertaining games of the year.

It would be huge to get Ford/Tartt/Kwon back in 2 weeks as well. Unfortunately, our DL depth has been decimated with DJ Jones, Ronald Blair, Damontre Moore, and Jullian Taylor all out for the year. But the offense has been carrying us for a while now. 

10 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

After that game, I just gotta say this year is the 49ers year.  If they don't make it, it'll be a huge disappointment.

10000% will be disappointed if we don't get to the SB. Won't be easy, but talent wise this team can match up with anyone in the league and we have HFA. Granted, HFA in Santa Clara isn't all that much but they get a first round bye to rest up and get healthy and will not have to travel.

Saints are on the same level as the Niners can definitely beat them but they just have it tough having to potentially go on the road in back to back weeks. Fairly easy match up vs the Vikings though, a team that just can't beat any top team. And often times the Vikings are losing by 2+ scores in the 4th quarter. 

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

The bye week was sorely needed, we haven't had a bye since week 4. And the 2nd half of our season was one of the toughest stretches, having to face GB, NO, BAL, LAR, SEA X2 for 6 of our last 8 games. Its been some tough competition and we couldn't miss a beat. But our last 5 games have seemingly all come down to the last play. Honestly, we might have like 4 or 5 of the most entertaining games of the year.

It would be huge to get Ford/Tartt/Kwon back in 2 weeks as well. Unfortunately, our DL depth has been decimated with DJ Jones, Ronald Blair, Damontre Moore, and Jullian Taylor all out for the year. But the offense has been carrying us for a while now. 

Your DL was ridiculous when you had all those guys.   Blair in particular was coming on as an elite disruptor.  

But the return Kwon / Tartt especially helps the leaky run D and zone coverage down the middle.  It’s been painful watching the ILB & S play (although 57 saved your season on that final play).  

Ford’s return would get your pass rush fresh again like when Den could go 4-EDGES all game long in 2015-6 playoffs with Von / Ware / Barrett / Ray (and Malik Jackson / Derek Wolfe inside push).  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Your DL was ridiculous when you had all those guys.   Blair in particular was coming on as an elite disruptor.  

But the return Kwon / Tartt especially helps the leaky run D and zone coverage down the middle.  It’s been painful watching the ILB & S play (although 57 saved your season on that final play).  

Ford’s return would get your pass rush fresh again like when Den could go 4-EDGES all game long in 2015-6 playoffs with Von / Ware / Barrett / Ray (and Malik Jackson / Derek Wolfe inside push).  

Yeah, the depth is completely shattered but if Ford/Alexander/Tartt return, the defense should return close to early season form. Our zone defense has been leaky for some weeks now and it is because the replacements don't have near the type of instincts as the missing starters. Alexander is great in coverage, especially playing his zone while #57/51 just let receivers get behind them. Harris has played better but he's also reckless at times. 

Ford is the missing piece to the DL though. We have no speed rush at all and get no rush opposite Bosa. 

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, the depth is completely shattered but if Ford/Alexander/Tartt return, the defense should return close to early season form. Our zone defense has been leaky for some weeks now and it is because the replacements don't have near the type of instincts as the missing starters. Alexander is great in coverage, especially playing his zone while #57/51 just let receivers get behind them. Harris has played better but he's also reckless at times. 

Ford is the missing piece to the DL though. We have no speed rush at all and get no rush opposite Bosa. 

Harris has dropped 2 INT's that would have sealed the LAR & SEA game.   Tartt in there would be huge, as would Alexander in zone.    

Ford def helps Bosa, much like how Melvin Ingram complements elder Bosa in LAC.  Totally different impact.

15 minutes ago, N4L said:

Seattle fans complaining about a non defensive pass interference call is hilarious to me

It's like they didn't even watch their team for the last 9 years. 

THEY USED TO HOLD ON EVERYPLAY AND IT NEVER GOT CALLED

Who’s to say they score if it’s first and goal? They should have sneaked it on 1st down, even though that OL was injured

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

What was up with George Fant being hurt on the field, but when the Seahawks needed to spike the ball, and had to have Fant on the line to be set, Fant immediately gets up and hustles 20 plus yards up the field to join the rest of the offense. How hurt was he really then???

We see that kind of stuff every week. How many good fast drives have you seen an offense make just for random defender #2 going down on the field like he has a tummy ache and miraculous he is always back a play later. Flopping isn't prevalent in football but it happens almost every game IMO.