WC: Titans@Patriots

Manny/Patrick

the perception of the 2019 pats completly changed in the last part of the season

for a minute they were looked at as one of best pat teams during this run with a defense that had a shot to be GOAT level, now its looked at as one the most disappointing pat teams and the defense will be mostly forgotten in the future.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, August4th said:

the perception of the 2019 pats completly changed in the last part of the season

for a minute they were looked at as one of best pat teams during this run with a defense that had a shot to be GOAT level, now its looked at as one the most disappointing pat teams and the defense will be mostly forgotten in the future.

The offense lost practically every single weapon either through injury or stupidity 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KManX89 said:

I fully expect that rule to get changed in the offseason just like the plethra of other rules added/changed to benefit the Pats.

The league has consistently changed rules to help other teams beat the Pats. The easier passing rules now are a direct result of BB humiliating Manning the 2003 AFCCG. After BB put in some wrinkles to beat the Ravens in 2014, the Ravens whined to get the rule changed. When BB used Jamie Collins to jump the centre and block FGs, the league made jumping over the center illegal.

They have literally never changed the rules to help the Patriots in any way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

The league has consistently changed rules to help other teams beat the Pats. The easier passing rules now are a direct result of BB humiliating Manning the 2003 AFCCG. After BB put in some wrinkles to beat the Ravens in 2014, the Ravens whined to get the rule changed. When BB used Jamie Collins to jump the centre and block FGs, the league made jumping over the center illegal.

They have literally never changed the rules to help the Patriots in any way.

Do you mean enforcing the Mel Blount rule?   The one that was around since 1978?

And it is not illegal to jump over the long snapper.  It is illegal to line up over the LS or to use other players as boosts to help jump.  It has been illegal to lineup over the LS for years.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/08/06/nfl-looks-to-protect-long-snappers-but-doesnt-go-far-enough/

When Collins did it and Polamalu did the same thing, it was illegal.  On the books since 2010

"Item 2: Field Goal or Try Kick Formation. When Team A presents a field goal or Try Kick formation: (1) A Team B player, who is within one yard of the line of scrimmage, must have his entire body outside the snapper’s shoulder pads at the snap."

You will have to explain the 2014 Raven thing.  I thought it had something to do with the QB stepping to the side and the snap going to the the RB.  The rule is that the QB must be set for one second before the snap.  That was put in place around 2008 because the Steelers ran a play where Roethlesberger stepped away from the center like he was changing the play ansd then the ball was snapped to the RB.  The NFL said it was a safety issue that the defense would not be set.

You are incorrect in several ways, you’re being pedantic without acknowledging my broader point was true.

1. The Mel Blount rule may have existed since 1978, but it became a “point of emphasis” in 2004, which lead to an explosion in passing numbers. Everyone knows that. Fewer people know this happened because Colts GM Bill Polian whined to the competition committee about how the Patriots played Colts WRs.

2. Lining up over centre was illegal, but leaping the line was not. They changed that rule after the 2016 season: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/28/15086770/nfl-leaping-rule-blocked-field-goals-ncaa-college-football

3. The 2014 Ravens complained to the comp. committee about eligible receiver rule, after the Patriots used it to confuse the Ravens D in the AFCCG. The rule was changed.

I may have made a couple of small mistakes in nomenclature, but my argument still holds. The League has never changed the rules to help the Pats, quite the opposite.

Ahh no.  There was a point of emphasis on protecting the LS after 2013 ( thus the link).  The rule was on the books since 2010.  If you look up that rule change, it came from the players.  The same players that got the rule for low hits on the QB as a penalty.  And I pointed out that Polamalu did this in 2013 and 2014.  It is not just because Collins did it.  So I can be just as butt hurt that the rules always goes against the Steelers? 

So the Pats never benefited from the enforcement of the Mel Blount rule?

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Ahh no.  There was a point of emphasis on protecting the LS after 2013 ( thus the link).  The rule was on the books since 2010.  If you look up that rule change, it came from the players.  The same players that got the rule for low hits on the QB as a penalty.  And I pointed out that Polamalu did this in 2013 and 2014.  It is not just because Collins did it.  So I can be just as butt hurt that the rules always goes against the Steelers? 

So the Pats never benefited from the enforcement of the Mel Blount rule?

I’m not butthurt at all. You’re turning the conversation around. Some guy complained the league is always changing the rules to help the Patriots. I provided three counter examples.

Do you think the league is changing the rules to help the Pats win?

• Like 2

On 1/5/2020 at 8:10 AM, KManX89 said:

I fully expect that rule to get changed in the offseason just like the plethra of other rules added/changed to benefit the Pats.

Yes, because the rest of the owners just LOVE to purposely make things easier for the Patriots. That's totally been their M.O. for the past 20 years.

Just like Pats fans who are convinced that the league is permanently hellbent on specifically screwing over the Patriots, you people who think they go out of their way to help out the Pats are ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 8:10 AM, KManX89 said:

Oh, and for the record, even when it benefitted the Pats earlier in the season, Bill said it's a loophole that should probably be closed in the offseason.

EDIT - That said, seeing Belichick lose his friggin' mind at the same trick that he himself used a couple months ago? Hilarious.

Edited by DannyB
  • Like 3