WC: BUF@HOU

Manny/Patrick

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Those are all nice things, but watching him make decisions today was just...awful. And usually your QB will account for most of your yardage in a game where your OC is refusing to give the ball to Devin Singletary.

The pitchback was an awful decision... luckily it was no harm no foul. But if Knox had been on same page then everyone would have been praising  Allen for seeing things others cant. 

The only negative play that truly impacted the outcome was that fumble he had. Needed to tuck it away better. He has had that issue all year. But luckily most of the year he got away with it and would just fall on top of his fumble.

The sacks on that one drive he couldnt do anything with. He was still in tackle box and a throw away would have resulted in intentional grounding. He tried to escape outside tackle box but just couldnt. Besides 5 linemen should be able to block 3 rushers in that situation. Just a crappy job by our Offensive tackles.

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Those are all nice things, but watching him make decisions today was just...awful.

In Allen’s defense, I thought he played really well. He made some spectacular, Mahomes-esque plays, as-good-of-a-QB-play-as-you’ll-see plays. He orchestrated the offense to a T in the first half and his decision making was fine, but as the Texans started to claw back, and the pressure rose, you could tell he was getting nervous.

He’s a 23 year old QB in his first playoff game on the road; easily the biggest game of his life. My guess is it really took his toll, started to affect his otherwise good decision making, and he started trying to do way too much. The lateral was absurd, taking the sacks he did in the 4th quarter were terrible, and overall he just looked more timid and less confident as the game wore on. 

To his credit, I was pretty impressed overall. Hopefully with more experience he can remain level-headed in those situations moving forward. He’s going to be really good.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

In Allen’s defense, I thought he played really well. He made some spectacular, Mahomes-esque plays, as-good-of-a-QB-play-as-you’ll-see plays.

The incomplete to John Brown (where Brown jumped for no reason and took his foot out of bounds) was arguably one of the prettiest passes I've ever seen - just a tight spiral, on a rope, exactly where a WR could catch it in dead stride. Brown had no reason to leave the ground on that one.

If I'm the Bills, I'm considering trading up for Jerry Jeudy. Giving Allen a bonafide #1 WR, a true alpha at WR... you'll see both explode in a few seasons.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The incomplete to John Brown (where Brown jumped for no reason and took his foot out of bounds) was arguably one of the prettiest passes I've ever seen - just a tight spiral, on a rope, exactly where a WR could catch it in dead stride. Brown had no reason to leave the ground on that one.

If I'm the Bills, I'm considering trading up for Jerry Jeudy. Giving Allen a bonafide #1 WR, a true alpha at WR... you'll see both explode in a few seasons.

That would have to be a hell of a trade up. I’m for it though. Or throw Amari Cooper a bunch of money and draft offensive line. I want the Bills to get another pass rusher as well.

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Normally id agree but it would take a lot to jump that high. And this WR draft class is insane. I think we can sit pretty and get a really really great compliment to John Brown and Cole Beasley... we are just missing that one stud tall WR that can go up and get it and make plays. 

I really want Justin Jefferson... dude has been overlooked with Chase and Burrow on roster but i believe dude is gonna be great. He was thought of as a 2nd round selection And he proved himself against Oklahoma on a huge stage with 220+ yards and 4TDs. I think elevated him to being a late 1st round prospect. I really hope he doesnt play to well against Clemson cause that could push him to go before we select

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Lucky for them, they can stay put and draft a really good receiver. I don’t think they need to move up at all.

Plus, I think Buffalo needs to be looking at receivers who fit a bigger mold that can win 50/50 balls, and excel at back shoulder throws (like a Ceedee Lamb). They’ve got enough small targets in that receiving room.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Watch 100 replays of balls kicked into the end zone. Watch 1000.

The returner makes that extended arm T sign and then gives up on the play.

If the ball bounces in the end zone and does not go out then it should be the kicking team's ball if they fall on it but they never do.

Everyone knows that the returner gave up the option to return the ball and it is now a dead ball and a touch back.

The only mistake was by the clowns calling it a TD in the first place.

DeAndre Carter will never again toss the ball away like he did because it was embarrassing but the touch back call was absolutely positively 100% correct.

Well there are rules for a reason. He could make that slow walking gesture like he’s not going anywhere, then dart out of the end zone for a big return. It’s happened plenty of times (Devin Hester pretended to “give up” on the play in a similar manner a while back when returning a missed field goal against the Giants for a record breaking touchdown) and I’m sure the people defending this if he had a big return wouldn’t say “wait he gave himself up!!”, because you play to the whistle, of which there wasn’t one. This was a blatant missed call.

common sense also dictates Quarterbacks aren’t trying to give the ball away on interceptions when their team is about to be blown out. Should we just give them the ball back?  No, because we have rules. The refs didn’t properly apply the rules. At no point did he give himself up because at no point did he go to the ground. Just because you say it is the correct call doesn’t make it so, because the rule disagrees with you. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

The pitchback was an awful decision... luckily it was no harm no foul. But if Knox had been on same page then everyone would have been praising  Allen for seeing things others cant. 

I STRONGLY disagree. There was just no need whatsoever for that lateral.

The only negative play that truly impacted the outcome was that fumble he had. Needed to tuck it away better. He has had that issue all year. But luckily most of the year he got away with it and would just fall on top of his fumble.

Um, what about him taking not one but TWO sacks to put them out of FG range, which should have been the end of the game?

The sacks on that one drive he couldnt do anything with. He was still in tackle box and a throw away would have resulted in intentional grounding. He tried to escape outside tackle box but just couldnt. Besides 5 linemen should be able to block 3 rushers in that situation. Just a crappy job by our Offensive tackles.

Disagree. QB101 in those situations say you can't take sacks, and he stood there and took sacks both times, and then exacerbated it with the IG calls.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

In Allen’s defense, I thought he played really well. He made some spectacular, Mahomes-esque plays, as-good-of-a-QB-play-as-you’ll-see plays. He orchestrated the offense to a T in the first half and his decision making was fine, but as the Texans started to claw back, and the pressure rose, you could tell he was getting nervous.

He’s a 23 year old QB in his first playoff game on the road; easily the biggest game of his life. My guess is it really took his toll, started to affect his otherwise good decision making, and he started trying to do way too much. The lateral was absurd, taking the sacks he did in the 4th quarter were terrible, and overall he just looked more timid and less confident as the game wore on. 

He was solid when he was running scripted plays that took the thinking out of everything. Once he had to make adjustments and start, you know, actually being a QB, he started to really play poorly.

17 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I’m a Josh Allen supporter and yesterday was not a good game. It just wasn’t. It’s on him and also on the offensive coordinator for making him play hero ball. It makes no sense. 

To me it's more on the coordinator. Josh Allen is playing in his first playoff game and they had him doing way too much. 

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He was solid when he was running scripted plays that took the thinking out of everything. Once he had to make adjustments and start, you know, actually being a QB, he started to really play poorly.

Yeah, I didn’t see that at all. Outside of the first or second drive I don’t think the rest was scripted.

12 hours ago, Longhorns90 said:

The one thing I don't get though is if you believe the ball was still live after Carter caught it, it is in no way a fumble - it is clearly and deliberately sent in a forward motion towards the referee and would be dead the moment it hit the ground - still an illegal forward pass in the end zone for a safety, but only two points, not six. No matter what, the initial call on the play of a touchdown was called wrong on the field.

And I would accept that as perfectly correct interpretation of the rules. At the same time, the "correction" was also incorrect. There should have been no scenario where the ball should have been given to Houston on the 25.

One aside: it would be two points and a free kick by Houston to Buffalo. So points on the board and the ball.

I think the trouble you run into, if you want to call that a live play on the kickoff return, is you wind up with a bunch of silly penalties just from the fact that everyone thought the play was over except a couple Bills players. Before they had recovered the ball, you have cameramen and players from both teams already running onto the field. So do you have an illegal forward pass and then a penalty on each team for too many men on the field? Does that all just offset for a re-kick? How does non-player personnel on the field during a live ball get handled?

I get the idea that by the letter of the law it was going to be Buffalo's ball in some form. But I do get the common sense notion of a play being considered dead if the stadium is treating it as such. In the video above, freeze frame at like 5:23 or 5:24. You have Houston's offense running on, Buffalo's defense running on, cameramen running on. You probably have like 30 players in the field of play at that point. I just don't think it makes sense to try to clean all of that non-sense up.

• Like 1