WC: BUF@HOU

Manny/Patrick

8 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

i meant to post here earlier but i got a lil swept up in the titans texans game and some stuff that i had to do... both teams were imperfect sure but that was a brilliant game, and let me say, sean mcdermott is an amazing coach. two out of three years making it to the playoffs with the bills and more than twenty wins when most pundits would’ve said that three straight 4-12 seasons was more likely with the guys they had on offense

i feel for mcdermott because he’s coached brilliantly, and i do believe this buffalo team is a threat for years to come if they can keep this defense together and make mild improvements to their offense... if not for that ridiculous deshaun play in OT slash missing of that sack by the two defenders (completely out of his control) i dare say that there’s more talk about how great a coach he is 

now

question is for the texans, can they not start so slowly against kansas city? because kc isn’t the bills and though their defense is far weaker they’ll be in the hole a lot more than just 16 if they don’t score early and often against the chiefs

also how about jj! few seasons ago there were even some murmurs he should retire, he’s going to never come back, and to just rebound from the surgery like that and to come up with the massive sack that lifted his team is just amazing

Love me some McDermott. He has/had us ahead of schedule all along, has expectations and standards for himself, his staff, and his players. I have full faith in him going forward leading the Bills.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

That's exactly my point: it's a live ball. The ref's shouldn't be trying to guess the intention of the player... they should be watching his actions and ruling accordingly. 

The receiver didn't kneel, or simulate a kneel, or waive for a fair catch. He tossed a live ball.

Umm ... I think you misinterpreted my statement. I'm in the "it was a touchdown because he fumbled" camp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

I mean Josh Allen accounted for 372 yards... our offense as a whole accounted for 425. And he led a game tieing drive. And what could have been a potential game winning drive if it wasnt for a horrendous penalty on that blindside block. He definitely had his struggles but awful seems a bit harsh. 

Those are all nice things, but watching him make decisions today was just...awful. And usually your QB will account for most of your yardage in a game where your OC is refusing to give the ball to Devin Singletary.

You play to the whistle. Unless “common sense” (Vegas/NY) decides a game should be close. Then you can fumble a kickoff in the end zone during a play but the ref will give your team the ball back.

Refs blatantly didn’t follow the rule book and it cost the Bills 6 points right out of the second half to go up 19-0. Brutal. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

Watch 100 replays of balls kicked into the end zone. Watch 1000.

The returner makes that extended arm T sign and then gives up on the play.

If the ball bounces in the end zone and does not go out then it should be the kicking team's ball if they fall on it but they never do.

Everyone knows that the returner gave up the option to return the ball and it is now a dead ball and a touch back.

The only mistake was by the clowns calling it a TD in the first place.

DeAndre Carter will never again toss the ball away like he did because it was embarrassing but the touch back call was absolutely positively 100% correct.

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Watch 100 replays of balls kicked into the end zone. Watch 1000.

The returner makes that extended arm T sign and then gives up on the play.

If the ball bounces in the end zone and does not go out then it should be the kicking team's ball if they fall on it but they never do.

Everyone knows that the returner gave up the option to return the ball and it is now a dead ball and a touch back.

The only mistake was by the clowns calling it a TD in the first place.

DeAndre Carter will never again toss the ball away like he did because it was embarrassing but the touch back call was absolutely positively 100% correct.

look here’s the thing champ, you’ve illustrated here exactly why it’s a touchdown

the arguments that people are using to say it’s not... “everyone knows”... “common sense”... all of these are arguments based on custom

however

this is the nfl, and we have a rulebook

and as was perfectly explained by @Woz above, if you are to apply the rule as it is written then it’s objectively a touchdown. you’re right, by custom, the returner gave himself up. by custom you also don’t take a delay of game, false start, and then another delay of game to run down a minute and a half of clock, but we also saw that today, because rule always supersedes custom 

and according to the rule it is a touchdown

• Like 6

The one thing I don't get though is if you believe the ball was still live after Carter caught it, it is in no way a fumble - it is clearly and deliberately sent in a forward motion towards the referee and would be dead the moment it hit the ground - still an illegal forward pass in the end zone for a safety, but only two points, not six. No matter what, the initial call on the play of a touchdown was called wrong on the field.

Edited by Longhorns90
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Longhorns90 said:

The one thing I don't get though is if you believe the ball was still live after Carter caught it, it is in no way a fumble - it is clearly and deliberately sent in a forward motion towards the referee and would be dead the moment it hit the ground - still an illegal forward pass in the end zone for a safety, but only two points, not six. No matter what, the initial call on the play of a touchdown was called wrong on the field.

If it’s a forward pass it’s not a dead ball so couldn’t they decline it for a TD?

2 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

If it’s a forward pass it’s not a dead ball so couldn’t they decline it for a TD?

No, a forward pass is a forward pass, regardless of whether it's legal or not. Ball's dead the moment it hits the ground. Only if Buffalo caught the pass could it be considered an interception and the penalty declined for a TD.

EDIT: From the official NFL rulebook - https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf

AR 8.4 describes a similar situation, only with a punt instead of a kickoff return.

"A punt is caught on the receiving team’s 20-yard line. The player who caught the ball attempts to throw a backward pass, but the ball goes forward and hits the ground. The kicking team falls on it. Ruling: Illegal forward pass. The ball is dead when it hits the ground. Penalize from the spot of the pass."

Edited by Longhorns90
  • Like 1