Wildcard Round: VIKINGS (10-6) at Saints (13-3)

swede700

16 minutes ago, Wundy said:

Great game, sucks to have to play in 6 days though

I am fine with it, big thing will Hughes and Alexander be out again?

They did great without them today playing Sendejo in the slot and that could work against Kittle at times next week, putting bigger bodies on him than a corner or slow linebacker.  They did well against Michael Thomas on the Saints no doubt but Deebo is a little faster arguably but they will need similar type coverage on him.

Will be curious how Rhodes is feeling, seemed really hurt in this game but played hard and fought out there.  49ers have a new center that could be taken advantage of, I think they should use Griffen and Hunter inside at times like they did against the Saints but sure they will be prepared for it.  Clearly the 49ers tackles are nothing compared to the Saints guys so if we get pressure on the QB we have a chance.  

Kirk will have a long day against the 49ers front and get hit a ton like he did in this game.

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

can we get a big whoop whoop for Ant Harris' play today, please? for his entire season, even.

Harris broke out at the right time. He’s in line for a significant pay raise. Love seeing players like this develop into top notch starters. Don’t let Harris hit the open market.

• Like 1

Big win. I couldn't start waiting until the end of the 3rd.

I was shocked they held Brees to only 79 yards heading into the 4th. Hill is a really dynamic player for them.

Big time throw by Cousins in OT. They  should have play action-ed on the 2 yard line. Everyone and their mothers knew he was getting the ball there.

Happy it worked out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

For the Saints fans crying about the OPI non call, this was missed and the first down would have let the Vikings basically run out the clock, I believe. 

Since the play was dead would he still get a penalty? I suppose he would have since it was live at the time

The Vikings were clutch on the most important down of the game Sunday against the Saints. Minnesota converted 10-of-18 tries (56 percent) on third downs, including two in overtime. Kyle Rudolph’s game-winning touchdown catch from Kirk Cousins came on third-and-goal from the Saints 4-yard line.

Defensively, the Vikings clamped down and didn’t allowed Saints quarterback Drew Brees and his offense to stay on the field. New Orleans was just 4-of-11 on third downs (36 percent), as the Vikings routinely hassled Brees and his teammates.

https://www.vikings.com/news/takeaways-underdog-vikings-get-1st-ot-playoff-win-in-franchise-history

• Like 2

New Orleans, and on to San Francisco. Would that I had the funds and leisure to tour those cities following the Vikes. The food and the music. I still remember the sandwich I got at Molinari's and that was before my daughter was born. She's in high school now.

And Chinatown was cool; I felt tall. :D

It's all up to the defense. If Cousins has one of those games where he pukes on his shoes it won't matter but if the offense is steady and competent the defense has to step in. They did it against a really good Saints team. Can it continue?

• Like 1

I was not able to watch much of the game because I was recording music today, but this sounded like exactly the kind of game that we wanted to see out of Zimmer AND Cousins. A good game plan, a “go out and win it” mentality, and execution in all three phases.

Im watching a replay now, but sorta bummed that I missed it live. There’s a lot of talk about the last play of the game, but even through the first half it seems like the refs let them play on the boundaries.

Cousins raw stats today don't look that special but he had his 4th best QBR of the season - 77.8 (behind Raiders, Lions, and Eagles games)...I think it's probably due to enormous number of 3rd down conversions team had today, especially on 3rd & medium, 3rd & long as 3rd down conversions are usually considered lot more valuable than early down conversions (acc to QBR). The 3rd down offense probably ended up being the difference. Even that throw to Thielen in 3rd Q was on a 3rd down.

Niners are probably worst possible matchup for this offense...really curious to see how they are gonna deal with that Niners pass rush, especially with Dee Ford returning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Cousins raw stats today don't look that special but he had his 4th best QBR of the season - 77.8 (behind Raiders, Lions, and Eagles games)...I think it's probably due to enormous number of 3rd down conversions team had today, especially on 3rd & medium, 3rd & long as 3rd down conversions are usually considered lot more valuable than early down conversions (acc to QBR). The 3rd down offense probably ended up being the difference. Even that throw to Thielen in 3rd Q was on a 3rd down.

Niners are probably worst possible matchup for this offense...really curious to see how they are gonna deal with that Niners pass rush, especially with Dee Ford returning.

The 49ers defense has struggled since week 10. I know they are getting some players backs, but Ford has a hamstring injury and we saw with Thielen how long that can take to recover from.  Seems coverage might be an issue for SF if the pass rush can be neutralized.

Edited by vikingsrule