Wildcard Round: VIKINGS (10-6) at Saints (13-3)

swede700

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

The 49ers defense has struggled since week 10. I know they are getting some players backs, but Ford has a hamstring injury and we saw with Thielen how long that can take to recover from.  Seems coverage might be an issue for SF if the pass rush can be neutralized.

Not just Dee Ford...they are also getting back Kwon Alexander who has missed like last 2 months and is key part of that defense

Just now, upriser7 said:

Not just Dee Ford...they are also getting back Kwon Alexander who has missed like last 2 months and is key part of that defense

He misses a lot of tackles, maybe Cook will break a long run or two. Love the commitment to the run but Cook is still averaging under 3.5 per carry. Couldn’t eclipse 100 yards despite 28 attempts. 

Cousins: I’m just glad we won a playoff game. I just do my part. We won the game today because we played great defense, we got a turnover, we had great special teams, we had great play-calling, we had a great plan. We protected, we ran the football, we probably had 35-40 rushing attempts. There were a whole lot of reasons we won the game. Does the quarterback play a role in that? Yes, but it was a team win.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/05/kirk-cousins-i-just-do-my-part-it-was-a-team-win/

The last play of Sunday’s Vikings-Saints game resulted in a touchdown, along with a real question as to whether Minnesota tight end Kyle Rudolph pushed off before making the catch.

After overtime ended, NFL senior V.P. of officiating Al Riveron answered questions from Larry Holder of TheAthletic.com regarding the decision to not overturn the ruling on the field of no offensive pass interference.

Riveron: “We looked at all of the angles that FOX afforded us, and FOX gave us some great views. There is contact by both players, but none of that contact rises to the level of a foul. This is consistent with what we’ve done all year long, we left the ruling on the field. We let it stand.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/05/al-riveron-on-last-play-in-new-orleans-none-of-the-contact-rises-to-the-level-of-a-foul/

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He misses a lot of tackles, maybe Cook will break a long run or two. Love the commitment to the run but Cook is still averaging under 3.5 per carry. Couldn’t eclipse 100 yards despite 28 attempts. 

Dalvin got off to a strong start (16 attempts for 84 Yards in the first half). I wish the Vikings had the thrown the ball a bit more on early downs, particularly in the second half once NO adjusted a bit more to when and how the Vikings were going to the run the ball.

Stefanski did get cute and got away from what the Vikings had done to build their lead, late in the game, but he called great plays in OT. Part of the concerning play calls were the negative runs and penalties that this team REALLY struggles to overcome.

12 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

We’re also getting back Tartt, who is our field general in the secondary. Tartt has been extremely underrated this year, but he’s been extremely solid in coverage and run defense.

There’s a stat floating out there that shows that with at least 100 snaps with Tartt, Ford, and Kwon on the field together, opposing QBs have a QBR of 3 out of 100. 

9 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

this is true, but Kwon is also a top 5 cover LB this year to go along with our other 2 top 10 cover LBs in Greenlaw and Warner. 

Kwon isn’t going to be getting a ton of snaps this game. Greenlaw and Warner will get the majority of the snaps to ease Kwon back. Both Warner and Greenlaw are very sure-handed tacklers. 

This is going to be one hell of a matchup next weekend. These two teams are extremely balanced and deadly. I have a feeling it will be a defensive game with a few chunk plays to turn the tide one way or another.

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The rush offense in 2nd half was brutal....Cook I don't think has had a game now in nearly 10 weeks where his ypc > 4.5. Today they overran Cook in 2nd half, lot of inefficient runs in 2nd half (which wasn't Cook's fault, rather coaching fault)...I get that Cook is dynamic but cannot do much when your opposition is stacking the box or when your OL isn't able to block well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

The rush offense in 2nd half was brutal....Cook I don't think has had a game now in nearly 10 weeks where his ypc > 4.5. Today they overran Cook in 2nd half, lot of inefficient runs in 2nd half (which wasn't Cook's fault, rather coaching fault)...I get that Cook is dynamic but cannot do much when your opposition is stacking the box or when your OL isn't able to block well. 

Just seems like they should have used Mattison more, or even give Boone a couple of carries. I assume that the hope is that Cook can break off a 20+ yard run, why else would you feed him so much when there are other capable RBs. those 10-20+ yard carries aren’t happening anymore like they were earlier in the year.

33 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Just seems like they should have used Mattison more, or even give Boone a couple of carries. I assume that the hope is that Cook can break off a 20+ yard run, why else would you feed him so much when there are other capable RBs. those 10-20+ yard carries aren’t happening anymore like they were earlier in the year.

I think the Vikings were just too focused on trying to run out the clock. The Saints were focused on stopping the run, and the Vikings tried to keep running anyway.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

I wish the Vikings had the thrown the ball a bit more on early downs, particularly in the second half once NO adjusted a bit more to when and how the Vikings were going to the run the ball.

I absolutely agree with this. It appeared that the Saints were hyper focused on stopping Cook, the first half catalyst for the Vikings offense. I would have loved to see Stefanski exploit this with some creative play calling.