What's your biggest pet peeve when it comes to people talking about football

Bolts223

58 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

NE now having 6 SB wins also aside.

As a Steeler fan, it really annoys me when other, less knowledgeable Steeler fans make comments like

"How many rings do you have?" Or "We got 6 SB wins, how about you?" Like it's some sort of measure of recent success or that the fact we have won 6 SBs in the span of 40 years somehow erases our occasional 8-8 season and our organizational struggles. 

I've seen plenty of people treat rings that way though, and it's not just Steelers fans. I'm a Falcons fan, so if I have an opinion that's a little controversial, the first quip I hear is "no rings, shut up lmao" even though that has nothing to do with my take. As if only Pats and Steelers fans are allowed to talk about football. Like yeah, if your point is that the Falcons are a garbage franchise, I'd agree with you! But that doesn't mean I'm right/wrong about other things.

Speaking of controversial opinions - I think trading down is seriously overrated by the internet. If you're getting a nice haul? Yeah, trade down. But the value has to be there. If I'm trading down 12 spots in the first round, and all you're offering me is a 4th rounder... screw that, I'm holding onto my spot. I think this is a cause where people online are assuming "well, you can find gems in the latter rounds of the draft, so the more latter picks = more chances to succeed!" while ignoring that earlier picks have much more likely success rates, and that's where their true value lies.

Edited by Hukos

2 minutes ago, Hukos said:

I've seen plenty of people treat rings that way though, and it's not just Steelers fans. I'm a Falcons fan, so if I have an opinion that's a little controversial, the first quip I hear is "no rings, shut up lmao" even though that has nothing to do with my take. As if only Pats and Steelers fans are allowed to talk about football. Like yeah, if your point is that the Falcons are a garbage franchise, I'd agree with you! But that doesn't mean I'm right/wrong about other things.

Speaking of controversial opinions - I think trading down is seriously overrated by the internet. If you're getting a nice haul? Yeah, trade down. But the value has to be there. If I'm trading down 12 spots in the first round, and all you're offering me is a 4th rounder... screw that, I'm holding onto my spot. I think this is a cause where people online are assuming "well, you can find gems in the latter rounds of the draft, so the more latter picks = more chances to succeed!" while ignoring that earlier picks have much more likely success rates, and that's where their true value lies.

I agree with all of that . Furthermore when it comes to the draft and a trading back if it's at significant amount of spots in the 1st round and you're not offering me future first round pick you did it wrong

Well, the one that really grinds MY gears was that poster who went ON and ON and ON for about twenty-nine years ragging on the Colts for the Trent Richardson trade-!  Decorum forbids me from mentioning his screen name, but- Get a life, ya weasel!!

"Hey, CHILL, man!"

Image result for Trent Richardson

Honorable mention, if not strictly football: Any movies starring Billy Zane.
Image result for billy zane titanic

Edited by bzane

This probably doesn't apply to most of this board, but people that don't actually know much about football. Happens more frequently for college football - live in Columbus, so obviously we're mostly all Ohio State fans - was talking about the Clemson game with someone on Monday and they said that the JK Dobbins TD catch that got overturned shouldn't have been overturned. I thought live that it was incomplete, after seeing the replay, I knew for sure it was incomplete. As soon as this guy said that, I had to leave the conversation.

Can't stand when people get attached to a player or even worse, dislike a player for their personality. See this a lot with the older generation now that the players are all of a younger generation.

My biggest pet peeve is people acting like playing with good players doesn't make a player better. Good example is Russell Wilson in 2013 - yes, he was a Super Bowl champ. No, he didn't even need to step on the field to beat the Broncos - that's how good that team was. Wilson was a good QB - an above average one for sure - but he wasn't the QB that he is today. The Seahawks just had better results back then because they had a better TEAM. Same thing for Goff - I wanted the Rams to wait on extending him because for two years he had the best supporting cast in the NFL, factoring in OL, RB and WR.

6 hours ago, Elky said:

What I can't stand is when they say Belicheat, but then say Brady would be nothing without Belichick.

Then again, if Belichick resigned they would praying every night before bed that their team hires him.

I can wholeheartedly say that I wouldn't want Bill Belichick on my football team.  

I'd rather have somebody like Don Shula or Chuck Noll any day of the week.  

Why?  Because those guys can draft football players.  

If Belichick didn't have the free agency to cherry pick from, he'd be screwed.  

7 hours ago, Elky said:

"That was a reach."

If a team really likes a player, it makes sense to take him when given the opportunity; you don't know when they're coming off the board. It's better to be a round early than one pick late.

A great example is when the Jets front office took Jeff Lageman back in the day - granted, based on all evidence, you could've been relatively certain he'd have been there in the 2nd round; OTOH, the Jets drafted a really good defensive player with their first pick, and isn't that what it's all about? 

3 hours ago, Hukos said:

Not an Atlanta fan, but I would disagree that that they are a garbage franchise.  Not by any means.  

They are actually quite good for an expansion team. Made it to two Super Bowls, and have a wide breadth of playoff experience.  

Their history as a franchise is better than other teams in the league for sure.  

3 hours ago, Hukos said:

Trading down is not overrated if you're trading down for quantity.  

Sure, the value is more likely in the first round, but a lot of first rounders end up being busts right away.  

You just don't know for sure, so it's not necessarily a bad idea to trade for more picks in the 3rd or 4th rounds than to take the chance on one player in the first round, especially if your targeted position is picked over.  

17 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I can wholeheartedly say that I wouldn't want Bill Belichick on my football team.  

I'd rather have somebody like Don Shula or Chuck Noll any day of the week.  

Why?  Because those guys can draft football players.  

If Belichick didn't have the free agency to cherry pick from, he'd be screwed.  

Well the modern NFL has FA and it’s an integral part of being successful in today’s NFL. Belichick is like no other coach the NFL has ever seen - nobody is able to even remotely replicate what he does. 

1 minute ago, Bolts223 said:

Well the modern NFL has FA and it’s an integral part of being successful in today’s NFL. Belichick is like no other coach the NFL has ever seen - nobody is able to even remotely replicate what he does. 

I'm not saying that coaches shouldn't use the free agency to their advantage, but it's definitely an easier path to acquiring players.  

Free agents are mostly proven players.  

The NFL Draft is one of the largest gambling machines ever designed.  

Coaches either have the ability to see some sort of quality in a college prospect or they don't.  

The draft is a much more intense and complex process than the free agency.  

1 minute ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I'm not saying that coaches shouldn't use the free agency to their advantage, but it's definitely an easier path to acquiring players.  

Free agents are mostly proven players.  

The NFL Draft is one of the largest gambling machines ever designed.  

Coaches either have the ability to see some sort of quality in a college prospect or they don't.  

The draft is a much more intense and complex process than the free agency.  

You should probably go look at how many free agent acquisitions bust or at the very least disappoint. FA is its own beast to wrestle with. 

1 minute ago, Mr Bad Example said:

You should probably go look at how many free agent acquisitions bust or at the very least disappoint. FA is its own beast to wrestle with. 

Never said that a coach couldn't lose from the free agency.  Of course that happens.  

But, mediocre play from a player acquired from the free agency may have more to do with the team than it does the player.  

From the perspective of the draft, it's almost entirely reflective of the player.