What's your biggest pet peeve when it comes to people talking about football

Bolts223

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I can wholeheartedly say that I wouldn't want Bill Belichick on my football team.  

I'd rather have somebody like Don Shula or Chuck Noll any day of the week.  

Why?  Because those guys can draft football players.  

If Belichick didn't have the free agency to cherry pick from, he'd be screwed.  

Tom Brady

Rob Gronkowski

Don'ta Highgtower

Richard Seymour

Matt Light

Asante Samuel

Vince Wilfork

Logan Mankins

Stephen Gostkowski

Jerod Mayo

Matt Slater

Devin McCourty

Pat Chung

Sebastian Vollmer

Julian Edelman

Nate Solder

Chandler Jones

Jamie Collins

Yep, he sure sucks at drafting.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

NE now having 6 SB wins also aside.

As a Steeler fan, it really annoys me when other, less knowledgeable Steeler fans make comments like

"How many rings do you have?" Or "We got 6 SB wins, how about you?" Like it's some sort of measure of recent success or that the fact we have won 6 SBs in the span of 40 years somehow erases our occasional 8-8 season and our organizational struggles. 

We've had to endure this nonsense from Dallas Fans for decades, even after SBLII. What's more Hilarious is when said Poster or Fan off the street was actually in Diapers or Grade school for their last SB Win, spouting such crap.

Fun times.

• Like 1

The great "take race" that everybody seems to participate in. Everyone wants to find the next superstar or next bum and be the first to stake their claim to that take, and thus you see players/coaches/teams crowned or written off way too prematurely, constantly, every year, and it's just silly.

Players can't just have great seasons, no, a great season has to be a part of something bigger, and then instead of everybody just sitting back and appreciating it people are essentially forced into the pro and anti crowd for that player.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I can wholeheartedly say that I wouldn't want Bill Belichick on my football team.  

If Belichick didn't have the free agency to cherry pick from, he'd be screwed.  

Literally every coach in the league has the same pool to pick from bro.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Never bring up Miami's first-round picks in 1987, 1988, and 1989. Bust after bust after bust. 

6 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I'm not saying that coaches shouldn't use the free agency to their advantage, but it's definitely an easier path to acquiring players.  

Free agents are mostly proven players.  

The NFL Draft is one of the largest gambling machines ever designed.  

Coaches either have the ability to see some sort of quality in a college prospect or they don't.  

The draft is a much more intense and complex process than the free agency.  

A lot of the FA successes Belichick has had are guys who weren't proven players. See: Wes Welker. 

What Belichick does better than anyone else is his ability to identify what a player can do, find a use for them, sign them cheap and have them contribute to his team when he needs what they do well for a specific situation.

The Patriots dynasty is largely built on the back of just good, smart football players, not insanely flashy talents.

The Pats dynasty is made up of guys like Kyle Van Noy, Matthew Slater, Malcolm Butler, Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, Julian Edelman, Kevin Faulk, James White, Troy Brown.

The Pats always seem to have a lockdown corner of some sort: Whether it's Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Revis or Gilmore.

And then they had Gronk for most of the 2010's as well as always having had Brady.

The Patriots are the Patriots because they are the ultimate chameleon. They are the best franchise at adapting to their own strengths and attacking the weaknesses of their opponent. They can run just about any system and scheme they want because Belichick is able to acquire a group of 53-players with a diverse skillset and use them when it's convenient.

No other team is able to replicate this. Belichick's genius isn't just something that can be copied like the west coast offense. It's why all of his disciples have failed elsewhere.

In my opinion, he's the greatest coach in the history of pro-sports. Chuck Knoll and Don Shula never had to deal with the insane amount of turnover or the salary cap that exists in the modern NFL. What the Patriots have done absolutely defies what is supposed to happen in the salary cap/FA era. It's the most dominant dynasty in the history of the league in an era that is designed to prevent dynasties.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Not an Atlanta fan, but I would disagree that that they are a garbage franchise.  Not by any means.  

They are actually quite good for an expansion team. Made it to two Super Bowls, and have a wide breadth of playoff experience.  

Their history as a franchise is better than other teams in the league for sure.  

Well, they were an expansion team way back in 1966. It's 2020. They've gone over 55 years with only 2 Super Bowl appearances, no rings, 6 division titles, and only 10 playoff victories to their name. They are 29th in all time win % at a pathetic .448. To add to that, they have a meager 8 hall of famers in the history of their franchise (and 3 of them really shouldn't count, as they were only here for one season). I believe they also have the unique distinction of being one of the only teams that have played in every season in the Super Bowl era that doesn't have a championship of some kind - even some outright bad franchises have random NFL/AFL titles, but not Atlanta.

Take into account the amount of recent playoff failures they've had... yeah that's kind of hard to defend. Before Vick came to town (and Vick wasn't that great, but he got people interested in the team), the Falcons were basically Cleveland-South. They were a bottom 3 team in the league for about a good 20-30 years. Since then, they've made the jump from making the Browns look good to... being mediocre, and when not mediocre, embarrassing themselves on national television, over and over again.

When you compare this to organizations that have been around a long time (Packers, Steelers, etc.), it's easy to see why people call us trash. The only franchises we have anything on are Detroit, Cleveland, and maybe Arizona. I appreciate the sentiment, but I just think it's kind of wrong.

Edited by Hukos

People who think young QBs need an elite offensive line, 3 all-pro receiving options, and a great RB before you can really know how good they are. I can't think of any good QB in the last 10-15 years that needed all that before we knew he was good.

• Like 1

I get absolutely triggered when some commentators call a player the "first overall pick by team x in year y" when they mean he was their first round pick. It's especially frustrating when it's some really good player that was drafted like 6 years ago and he might have been the first overall pick or he might have been the 25th overall pick and I have to look it up.

• Like 1

I think “winning team” stats are annoying. Winning teams by definitely are more capable of running the ball because they aren’t playing catch-up as much. For that reason, of course they have a higher time of possession. They also have the ability to force the losing teams to be one dimensional with passing and that forces turnovers. It also allows them to be more conservative, so they have fewer turnovers. Correlation doesn’t equal causation. 

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 9:17 AM, Jlowe22 said:

I agree, QB vs QB is fun for the media hype, but means absolutely nothing.

I also think QBs in general get too much credit for wins, and too much blame for losses. 

This.

I'm also so beyond tired of hearing about Kirk Cousins struggles in prime time games, the dude has a wining record (4-2) on SNF, which is the only primetime game that gets to flex their matchups midseason.